Cornelius P. Turner, 83, an educator who played a pivotal role in developing the General Educational Development testing program (GED) that allows people without a high school diploma to obtain an equivalency credential, died of sepsis Sept. 26 at Alexandria Hospital.
As a Navy lieutenant from 1943 to 1945, Mr. Turner was director of the military educational unit that devised the program, which was initially intended to make high school equivalency certificates available to servicemen during World War II.
The program was expanded to include civilians after the war, and eventually won the approval of education officials in all 50 states and 10 Canadian provinces. An estimated 700,000 people a year take the tests, which take into consideration such factors as work experience, correspondence courses, travel and self study.
Since the tests' inception, more than 12 million people have taken them.
After the war the military educational unit that Mr. Turner headed, the central clearing agency of accreditation of the Armed Forces Institute in Madison, Wis., became part of the American Council on Education in Washington.
Mr. Turner moved to this area and continued to promote the GED program as assistant director of the commission on Accreditation of Service Experiences. He was in Albany, N.Y., from 1947 to 1949, where he developed a GED program for New York State that was used as a model for other states.
He then returned to Wisconsin as deputy director of the Armed Forces Institute to continue work on a wartime program dealing with correspondence courses for military personnel.
In 1953 he returned to Washington as associate director of the Commission on Accreditation of Service Experience. He became director of the Commission in 1956 and visited every state to promote adoption of the GED program.
He also edited the revised edition of "A Guide to the Evaulation of Educational Experiences in the Armed Services." It and its subsequent editions have become the standard guide for college registrars to determine the accreditation of military training and experience. He retired in 1973.
Mr. Turner, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of New Hampshire. He graduated from Bates College in Maine in 1929 with a bachelor's degree in mathematics. In 1930, he became a high school math and history teacher in Leicester, Mass. He later became an assistant principal there and in 1938 was appointed superintendent of the Leicester public schools. At the same time, he attended night school at Fitchburg State Teacher's College in Massachusetts. He received a master's degree in education in 1942.
A year later, he entered the Navy and was assigned to the U.S. Armed Forces Institute. In addition to working on the GED project, he helped develop a program aimed at determining what military education courses could be applied toward credit at civilian colleges.
The Institute was directed by Francis T. Spaulding, who had been a dean of education at Harvard University and who later became commissioner of education for New York state.
Spaulding and G.W. Zook, then president of the American Council on Education, believed in educating through means other than formal schooling, a belief that was not widely held by educators of that era. Mr. Turner was assigned to develop a means of measuring such learning through standardized examinations.
In 1983, Mr. Turner received the Presidential Award for Oustanding Service to Adult Education from the American Association for Continuing Education. In 1984, he received the James F. Nickerson Medal of Merit from the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges and in 1985, the Distinguished Service Award from the Council of Chief State School Officers.
Mr. Turner was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria.
His wife, Mary E. Turner, whom he married in 1934, died in 1987.
Survivors include a son, C. Brian Turner of Fairfax, and two grandchildren.
ROSELYN BRYSON NEVILLE
Wife and Mother
Roselyn Bryson Neville, 54, a Silver Spring resident and the mother of seven children, died of cancer Sept. 26 at Georgetown University Hospital.
Mrs. Neville was born in Salt Lake City. She attended the University of Utah.
She moved to this area in 1964 and had also attended the University of Maryland.
Survivors include her husband, Richard F. Neville of Silver Spring; seven children, Dr. Richard F. Neville Jr. of Chatham, N.J., Shannon N. Fritz of Catonsville, John B. Neville of Salt Lake City, Elizabeth A. Neville, Mary A. Neville, Heather R. Neville and Barbara R. Neville, all of Silver Spring; her father, Verd Bryson of Salt Lake City; a sister, Kathleen Perkins of Simsbury, Conn.; and six grandchildren.
NINA SCURLOCK MUNDY YOUNG
Teacher and Speech Therapist
Nina Scurlock Mundy Young, 73, a retired Washington elementary school teacher and speech therapist, died of cancer Sept. 26 at Washington Hospital Center.
Mrs. Young, who lived in College Park, was born in Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and Miner Teachers College and received a master's degree in education from Howard University.
She was a teacher at John F. Cooke and Walker Jones Elementary Schools from 1938 to 1956. From 1956 until her retirement, she was a speech therapist for the D.C. school system.
In retirement she was a volunteer tutor for the school system, a reader for Washington Ear and a member of the Funtastics dance group.
Her first husband, Frank T. Mundy, died in 1978.
Survivors include her husband, Frederick C. Young of College Park; a daughter from her first marriage, Lorraine Murray of Annapolis; three sisters, Dorothea Dedmon and Helen Brown, both of Washington, and Mabel Simms of Wilmington, Del.; a grandson; and a great-granddaughter.
JULIAN CHARLES COHEN
Julian Charles Cohen, 75, a retired salvage dealer and the former president of Washington Hebrew Congregation, died of Parkinson's disease Sept. 27 at his home in Chevy Chase.
Mr. Cohen retired in 1973 as president of Julian C. Cohen Salvage Corp. in Bladensburg, a business he founded in 1942.
A Baltimore native, he was a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and he studied music at Baltimore's Peabody Conservatory. As a young man he was leader of a Baltimore-based band called the Ramblers. He continued playing piano all his life and had played on a volunteer basis for area hospital patients. He moved to the Washington area when he was in his twenties.
Mr. Cohen was a former president of the local chapter of the Institute of Scrap Iron and Steel and a vice president of the National Association of Scrap Iron and Steel.
He was founder and a former president of the men's club of the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington and had done volunteer work with the Service Corps of Retired Executives and Big Brothers.
Survivors include his wife, Marlyn S. Cohen of Chevy Chase; two daughters, Leslie C. Shapiro of McLean and Barbara C. Young of Ormond Beach, Fla.; and six grandchildren.
CURTIS G. ARNOLD
Marine Corps Lieutenant Colonel
Curtis Gene Arnold, 58, a retired Marine Corps lieutenant colonel who was an elder at National Presbyterian Church in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 21 at Capitol Hill Hospital.
Col. Arnold, who lived in Washington, was a native of Montgomery, Ala. He entered the Marine Corps in 1950 as an enlisted man and served in Korea during the war there. He was a graduate of Auburn University and the Marine Corps Amphibious Warfare School.
He was commissioned in 1958. His later assignments included duty as an instructor at the Marine Corps Command and Staff College and as a communications officer in Vietnam from 1966 to 1967. His last assignment was as a writer of Marine Corps histories in Washington.
He retired from active duty in 1975 and had lived in this area since then. His military decorations included the Bronze Star with Combat "V".
He had also been an adult Bible class teacher at National Presbyterian Church and a member of the church's urban ministries, youth task force and military membership committees.
His first wife, Jeanine Nolin Arnold, died in 1988.
Survivors include his wife, Donna D. Arnold of Washington; a daughter from his first marriage, Jennifer Arnold of Washington; his mother, Eldessa Arnold of Ozark, Ala.; and two brothers, Terry G. Arnold of Montevello, Ala. and the Rev. Frank A. Arnold Jr. of Ozark.
SIBLEY EARL HAMMONDS
Sibley Earl Hammonds, 25, who D.C. police said was found dead of gunshot wounds Sept. 24 in the hallway of a building at 203 N. St. NW, was a maintenance worker for the D.C. Department of Recreation. The case is under investigation, a police spokesman said.
Mr. Hammonds was born in Washington. He attended Franklin Vocational School and had worked for the Department of Recreation for the last year.
Survivors include his parents, George and Flowreen Hammonds; four sisters, Molita Bryant, Maxine Hampton, Connettia Hammonds and Denise Hampton, all of Washington; and a half brother, Shelton Dawson of McCormick, S.C.
CAROLINE VIRGINIA HEREFORD KALOGRIS
Optical Association Official
Caroline Virginia Hereford Kalogris, 75, former executive director of the Optical Wholesalers Association in Washington, died of cancer Sept. 26 at Suburban Hospital.
Mrs. Kalogris, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Front Royal, Va. She moved to the Washington area as a teenager and graduated from Western High School.
She worked for the Optical Wholesalers from 1968 through the early 1970s. Later she assisted her husband, Theodore P. Kalogris, in microbiological research.
Her marriage to Dean Jordan ended in divorce and her second husband, Ben Ditto, died in 1986.
In addition to her husband, of Bethesda, survivors include a daughter of her first marriage, Barbara Jordan Peacock of Bonita Springs, Fla.; a daughter of her second marriage, Diane Ditto Rubin of Bethesda; a sister, Dorothy Hamilton, and a brother, Eugene Hereford, both of Denton, Tex.; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
ABRAHAM AL LEVINE
Abraham Al Levine, 79, a retired Washington area physician, died of cancer Sept. 24 at his home in Silver Spring.
Dr. Levine was born in New York City and grew up in Washington. He graduated from Central High School and George Washington University and its medical school.
In 1940, he established a private practice in Altoona, Pa. During World War II, he returned here to complete his residency at Children's Hospital. In 1945, he was chief resident there when he established a private practice in Washington. He moved the practice to Wheaton in 1959, and retired in 1984.
Survivors include his wife of 50 years, Rena Jane Levine of Silver Spring; four sons, Lewis J. Levine of Arnold, David M. Levine of Arlington, Steven G. Levine of Alexandria and Robert A. Levine of Silver Spring; two brothers, Frank Levine of Pompano Beach, Fla., and Dr. Jack L. Levine of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.