Joseph Leavitt, 74, a retired executive director of the Wolf Trap Foundation and the Baltimore Symphony who had been a percussionist with the National Symphony Orchestra from 1949 to 1969, died Sept. 21 at a nursing home in Boca Raton, Fla., after a stroke. He lived in Boca Raton.

Mr. Leavitt moved to Florida in 1984 and helped effect the merger of the Fort Lauderdale Symphony and the Boca Raton Symphony into what is now the Philharmonic Orchestra of Florida in Fort Lauderdale. At the time of his death, he was the philharmonic's executive vice president and general manager.

He was executive director of Wolf Trap from 1970 to 1973, then spent 11 years as executive director of the Baltimore Symphony. In the 1970s, he had served on the Fairfax County Arts Council and was a vice president of the board of the Maryland Council for Dance. He also had been a music panelist with the National Endowment for the Arts.

Mr. Leavitt had been an arts management instructor at the University of Maryland and an adjunct professor of arts management at Goucher College in the mid-1970s. He also had taught percussion at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in Baltimore.

He was a 1986 recipient of the American Symphony Orchestra League's Louis Sudler Award. He also was presented with an honor certificate by the Freedom Foundation of Valley Forge, Pa.

Mr. Leavitt was a native of Chelsea, Mass., and served in the Army Air Forces during World War II. A 1954 graduate of American University, he also studied at the Manhattan School of Music and the Harvard University business school.

Survivors include his wife, Sally, of Boca Raton; a son, Howard, of New York City; a daughter, Joan, of California; and two brothers.


Marine Corps Wife

Ann White Lanigan, 77, the wife of a retired Marine Corps brigadier general and a Washington native, died of pneumonia Sept. 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Lanigan graduated from Western High School and attended the Mrs. Lloyd Park Shippman dancing class. She married John R. "Pat" Lanigan, a Marine Corps officer, in 1933. Over the years she accompanied him on assignments in China, Cuba and the United States.

Gen. Lanigan retired in 1957 and they settled here. He died in 1974.

Mrs. Lanigan was a member of Washington Cathedral.

Survivors include four sons, retired Marine Corps Maj. John Dennis Lanigan of Heidelberg, West Germany, Michael Anthony Lanigan of Clearlake Oaks, Calif., Patrick Timothy Lanigan of Bethesda and Kevin Christopher Lanigan of Silver Spring; and six grandchildren.


Management Analyst

Jane Baran Spear, 75, a retired management analyst at the Treasury Department where she worked 21 years before retiring in 1971, died Sept. 27 at the Washington House retirement home in Alexandria. She had Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases.

Mrs. Spear, who had lived at the Washington House since 1983, was born in Hannibal, Mo. She grew up in Florida and graduated from the University of Chicago.

From about 1935 to 1940, she worked as an office manager in Chicago and later in Berkeley, Calif. She came to the Washington area during World War II as an office manager at the Public Administration Clearing House, a government organization for federal associations.

Mrs. Spear was a member of Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include her husband, Ralph E. Spear of Alexandria.


Former University Park Resident

Lydie J. Johnson, 94, a former University Park resident, died Sept. 27 at Arden House nursing home in Hamden, Conn., of complications resulting from a broken hip.

Mrs. Johnson was born in Dicize, France. She came to the United States in the early 1920s and graduated from Stanford University. She had a master's degree in philology from the University of Wisconsin.

She came to the Washington area in 1931, and was a longtime member of the French Protestant Church that met at St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square. She moved from University Park to Hamden last year.

Her marriage to V. Webster Johnson Sr. ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Jacqueline Johnson Gaensslen of Woodbridge, Conn.; and three grandsons.