Robert L. Ackerly, 68, a Washington lawyer since the early 1950s who specialized in contracts litigation, died of cancer Sept. 28 at George Washington University Hospital. He lived in Washington.
From 1953 to 1979, he worked in the Washington firm of Sellers, Conner & Cuneo, where he became a partner. Since 1979, he had practiced on his own.
He represented government contractors and chemical concerns in disputes with the federal government. In recent years, he also had worked to persuade local judges to consider substance abuse as a mitigating factor in sentencing.
Mr. Ackerly, a native of New York state, came here after World War II. During the war, he was a fighter pilot in Europe with the Army Air Forces. He flew air cover missions over Normandy beaches during the D-Day landings in June 1944. He was twice shot down by enemy fire. The second time, he was taken prisoner and escaped to the Allied lines.
He was a graduate of George Washington University, where he also received a law degree in 1950 and was elected to the Order of the Coif. Before entering private practice, he was an assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia.
Mr. Ackerly was a member of the University, Georgetown and Columbia Country clubs.
His first wife, the former Kathleen Quinn, died in 1970. His marriage to his second wife, the former Martha MacIntyre Dunn, ended in divorce.
Survivors include a son by his first marriage, David Powers of Los Angeles; a son by his second marriage, Cameron Ackerly; a stepson, John McKee Dunlap of Washington; and a sister, Dorothy Masterson of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla.
Mark Plunguian, 86, a retired research chemist and Arlington resident who had lived in the Washington area since the mid-1970s, died Sept. 27 at Hebrew Home of Greater Washington. He had cancer.
Dr. Plunguian, who was born in Lithuania, came to the United States in 1920. He spent the remainder of his youth in Connecticut and Brooklyn, N.Y. He received a bachelor's degree in forestry from Syracuse University, a master's degree in chemistry from the University of Idaho and a doctorate in organic chemistry from McGill University.
He was a research chemist from 1935 to 1969. He spent the last 13 of those years with Hercules Corp. in Wilmington, Del. An authority on pulp and paper chemistry and artificial fibers, he was the author of the reference book "Cellulose Chemistry."
After coming to the Washington area he helped found Edmar Corp., a research firm in Arlington. He also participated in area amateur woodcarving exhibitions. He was a member of the Northern Virginia Woodcarvers and the Washington Sculpture Society. He also was a member of the Yiddish Club of Washington, the American Chemical Society and Sigma Xi, an honorary science society.
His first wife, Gina, died in 1962. His second marriage, to Lena Plunguian, ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, the former Estelle Druskin, of Arlington; two daughters by his first marriage, Edith Frank of Morristown, N.J., and Claire Gilbert of Bethesda; and three grandsons.
PEGGIE W. FLINT
Peggie Watkins Flint, 62, a Washington native who was a docent at the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum since its opening, died of cancer Sept. 28 at Malcolm Grow Medical Center at Andrews Air Force Base. She lived in Camp Springs.
She graduated from Eliot Junior High, where she began dating Walter H. Flint, whom she married in 1950. They also attended Eastern High School, from which Mrs. Flint graduated in 1946. She received an associate's degree from George Washington University.
The Flints were married when he received his Air Force commission after his graduation from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. She accompanied him on posts across the country while raising their six children. He retired as a colonel.
Mrs. Flint was a member of the auxiliary of the Disabled American Veterans.
In addition to her husband, of Camp Springs, her survivors include four sons, Dave C., of Arlington, Keith D., of Lancaster, Calif., Brian D., of Camp Springs, and N. Kendrick, of Atlanta; two daughters, Christina L. Flint of Portland, Ore., and Karen Flint-Zaharevitz of Camp Springs; her mother, Stella Watkins of Greenbelt; a sister, Wanda Rudy of Alexandria; and two grandchildren.
JAMES F. HANLEY
James Fitzgerald Hanley, 87, a retired Army colonel and an area resident from the mid-1950s until 1984 when he moved from Falls Church to Ohio, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 20 at a nursing home in Newark, Ohio.
Col. Hanley was a native of Elkins, W.Va. He came to the Washington area in 1924 as a clerk at the War Department. He graduated from Georgetown University law school in 1928 and became a War Department lawyer.
He entered the Army reserves in 1934 and was called to active duty in 1940. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific. He spent the rest of his military career as a legal officer. His postwar assignments included duty in West Germany. His last assignment was with the Army Chief of Transportation in Washington. He retired from the Army in 1958.
His military decorations included the Bronze Star.
His wife, Florence Carlson Hanley, died in 1966. Survivors include two children, J. Thomas Hanley of Falls Church and Penelope H. Ziegler of Newark, and three grandchildren.
MORE OBITUARIES ON PAGE B4