MORRISTOWN, N.J. -- Ruth Cheney Streeter, 94, the first director of the Marine Corps Women's Reserve, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 30 at her home here.

She made military history and became the highest-ranking woman in the U.S. Marine Corps in World War II when she was appointed head of the Women's Reserve in 1943. She retired from the corps as a full colonel after the war and was awarded the Legion of Merit.

About 23,000 women served in the Marines during World War II. They mainly held clerical, administrative and logistics posts, freeing men for combat duty.

Mrs. Streeter was active in volunteer, community and Republican organizations in New Jersey after the war. She was a delegate to the state's constitutional convention in 1947. She also had been active in the New Jersey State Relief Council, the New Jersey Commission on Interstate Cooperation, the New Jersey Board of Children's Guardians and the New Jersey State Historical Sites Council.

She also had donated an air raid shelter to her township in 1948 and served as chief of civilian defense. She co-founded the Morris County Welfare Board and served as its chairwoman for eight years. She helped the restoration of her parish, St. Peter's Episcopal Church, and supported its social programs, such as the soup kitchen.

Mrs. Streeter was a native of Brookline, Mass., and attended Bryn Mawr College. She had lived in Morris Township since 1922. In 1942, she obtained a commercial pilot's license.

Her husband, Thomas W. Streeter, a lawyer and banker, died in 1965. Her survivors include three sons, a daughter, 17 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.


Fort Washington Physician

William Kent Furst, 52, a physician who practiced in Fort Washington for nearly 20 years before retiring in July 1988 for health reasons, died of cancer Oct. 1 at Washington Adventist Hospital. He lived in Potomac.

Dr. Furst, who was certified in internal medicine in 1969, devoted much of his work to geriatrics. He had served as medical director of several area nursing homes, including the Regency in Forestville, Manor Care in Largo and Bradford Oaks and Pine View, both in Clinton.

In the 1970s, he served as medical staff vice president of the Greater Southeast Community Hospital, where he also had chaired the utilization peer review committee. He also was a trustee and physician-adviser of the Prince George's Foundation for Health Care.

He was medical director of the Fort Washington Nursing Home and Rehabilitation Center from 1981 to 1988. He was a past president of the Georgetown Clinical Medical Society and had served on the staff of Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton.

Dr. Furst, who came here in 1959, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and received 12 years of Jesuit instruction as a young man. He was a graduate of Le Moyne College in Syracuse, N.Y., and graduated from Georgetown University medical school in 1963. He served in the Air Force as a physician from 1964 to 1966.

He served his internship and an internal medicine residency at D.C. General Hospital, where he also had been a pulmonary fellow. He served another internal medicine residency at Georgetown University.

Survivors include his wife, Jeanne, and two sons, Terrence and William Jr., all of Potomac; a daughter, Kathleen Burtschi of Alexandria; and a brother, Douglas D., of Valley Stream, N.Y.


Silver Spring Physician

Edward T. O'Donnell, 57, a Silver Spring physician and surgeon who served as chief of surgery at Holy Cross Hospital from 1981 to 1984, died of cancer Sept. 30 at his home in Potomac.

Dr. O'Donnell had practiced otolaryngology and head and neck surgery here for 24 years. In addition to Holy Cross, he had been affiliated with Washington Hospital Center, and Suburban, Montgomery General and Georgetown University hospitals.

He was a past president of the Washington Metropolitan ENT/Head and Neck Society. He was a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and was board certified in otolaryngology and head and neck surgery. He was a member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology and the Montgomery Medical Society.

Dr. O'Donnell was a native of Altoona, Pa., and a graduate of Duquesne University. He was a 1959 graduate of the University of Pittsburgh's medical school. After serving as an Army physician in West Germany, he came here in the mid-1960s and completed a residency in otolaryngology at the Washington Hospital Center.

Survivors include his wife, Nancy, of Potomac; two sons, Michael, of Baltimore, and Kevin, of Silver Spring; three daughters, Susan O'Donnell of Sterling, Va., Lisa O'Donnell of Silver Spring and Colleen O'Donnell of Baltimore; and a brother, William D. O'Donnell of Kensington.



Joel D. Blackmon, 77, a retired Washington lawyer who was a past deacon and trustee at Briggs Memorial Baptist Church in Bethesda, died Sept. 29 at a hospital in Springfield, Mo., after a stroke. He lived in Wardensville, W.Va. He was stricken while vacationing.

Mr. Blackmon, a native of South Carolina, was an area resident from the mid-1930s until he retired and moved from Bethesda to West Virginia in 1982. He graduated from the University of Arkansas and George Washington University law school.

During World War II, he worked as a lawyer for the Navy Department. After the war, he established a private practice in Washington. From the mid-1950s until he retired, he was legal counsel for the Confederated Unions of America.

Mr. Blackmon was a past master of Trinity Masonic Lodge No. 41 and a past chancellor of Capitol Masonic Lodge No. 24, Knights of Pythias, both in Washington. He was a 32nd Degree Mason, a former grand representative of the Grand Lodge of Finland and a member of the Scottish Rite and the Almas Temple.

Survivors include his wife, Tedna Blackmon of Wardensville; three daughters, Teddy Jo Bailey of Fort Washington, Marquita M. Wall of Damascus and Jacqueline M. Hunter of Darnestown; three sisters; two brothers; 10 grandchildren and seven great-grandchildren.


Banker and Corporate Executive

Charles Calvert Ellis II, 71, an area resident since 1982 who was a retired New York corporate executive and banker, died of cancer Sept. 26 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.

He was a business administration lecturer at Georgetown University in 1982 and 1983. He had served on the board of the Levine music school in Washington. He was co-owner of a vineyard in Waterford, Va.

Mr. Ellis was a native of Baltimore and a Navy veteran of World War II. He was a graduate of Juniata College in Pennsylvania and received a master's degree in business administration at Harvard University.

He worked for companies in Pennsylvania and for the Ford Motor Co. in Michigan before moving to the New York City area. He worked for Irving Trust bank, where he became executive vice president and comptroller, from 1965 to 1972. He then joined RCA, where he spent 10 years before retiring in 1982 as executive vice president for financial planning.

Survivors include his wife, Jean, of Washington; two sons, Charles III, of Vienna, and Richard J., of Narberth, Pa.; two daughters, Pauline Ellis of New York City and Nancy Ellis of Tiburon, Calif.; a sister, Ruth Ellis Hoddinott of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and four grandchildren.