William G. Fawver, 74, who served as Arlington police chief from 1951 to 1973, died Oct. 3 at Fairfax Hospital of complications after heart surgery.

Chief Fawver's years as head of the Arlington Police Department coincided with a period of rapid post-World War II growth in the county, and during his stewardship the police force grew from about 20 men to 285 men and women.

He joined the police force in 1940 as a "no experience necessary" applicant six months after the force was organized. He served as a motorcycle officer and supervisor of traffic enforcement before he was named chief. In that role he had earned a reputation as a stern but fair enforcer of Arlington's traffic laws.

Two years after retiring as police chief, Chief Fawver joined the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority Police. He retired there as a captain in 1980 but continued to work on a volunteer basis in Metro's coin room.

A resident of Arlington, he was born in Morgan County, W.Va. As a young man he worked in tanning factories there while dreaming of a career in police work, ignoring the advice of a West Virginia state trooper that police work was difficult and the hours long.

He moved to this area in the mid-1930s. He served in the Coast Guard during World War II.

During his time as an Arlington police officer, Chief Fawver took police-related courses at Northwestern University. He was instrumental in the founding of the Northern Virginia Criminal Justice Training Academy, which trains police officers for most of the police jurisdictions in Northern Virginia.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Hannah J. Fawver of Arlington; and two children, Darlene E. Fawver of Spartanburg, S.C., and William G. Fawver Jr. of Arlington.



Allen R. Matthews, 72, retired chief scientist at Patuxent Naval Air Test Station, died of cancer Oct. 1 at his home in Lexington Park, Md.

Dr. Matthews was born in Walla Walla, Wash., and graduated from Washington State University. He served in the Army Corps of Engineers in England and the Pacific during World War II and participated in combat operations at Saipan, Leyte and Iwo Jima.

After the war he worked briefly for General Electric in Pittsburgh, then rejoined the military as an Air Force officer. While in the Air Force he received a master's degree and a doctorate in electronics at Stanford, then held a variety of scientific assignments until he was discharged as a major in 1960.

He worked on the West Coast for Westinghouse Electric, Boeing Aircraft and McDonnell Douglas until 1971, when he moved to this area and joined the scientific staff at the Patuxent Naval Air Test Station. He retired in 1981.

In retirement Dr. Matthews founded and served as president of the Washington-based International Test and Evaluation Society. He also was the editor of its magazine, the Journal of Test and Evaluation.

His marriage to the former Janice Morrill ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 20 years, Anne Matthews of Lexington Park; two daughters of his first marriage, Joan Murray of Galena, Ill., and Dr. Julie Matthews of Needham, Mass.; a brother Clayton Matthews of Lafayette, Calif., and two stepsons, Stephen Ksieski of Los Angeles and Leslie Ksieski of Phoenix.



Francis Morey Uhler, 88, a retired Patuxent Wildlife Research Center biologist who designed and supervised the creation of the center's wetlands in the 1940s and 1950s, died Sept. 30 at his home in Bowie. He had prostate cancer.

Dr. Uhler worked at Patuxent from 1940 until 1985. He retired officially in 1972, but continued to work, initially on a part-time basis and later as a volunteer. He was a specialist in wetland management and water fowl nesting techniques and the food habits of all wildlife species. He was co-author of a book on the food of game ducks that was published initially in 1939 and reprinted in 1951.

A native of St. Peter, Minn., he graduated from Gustavus Adolphus College there. The college later awarded him an honorary doctorate.

In 1924, he moved to Washington and joined the staff of what was then the U.S. Biological Survey. Until joining the staff at Patuxent in 1940, Dr. Uhler studied wildlife in various areas of the United States and worked on a program that involved the government's buying up of land for wildlife refuges.

He was author of a report that led to federal legislation in 1935 outlawing the use of bait and live decoys by duck hunters. The report said this practice allowed the killing of too many ducks.

Dr. Uhler's work at Patuxent included the design of 26 wetlands covering more than 330 acres.

He was a member of the Cosmos Club.

Survivors include a sister, Laura Bell of Winter Park, Fla.


Navy Dept. Employee

Frank J. Milihram, 82, a retired Navy Department employee who was active in Catholic groups, died of congestive heart failure Sept. 29 at the home of a sister he was visiting in Bloomfield Hills, Mich. He lived in Bethesda.

Mr. Milihram, who was born in Pittsburgh, was a tool and dye maker for both Ford and General Motors in Detroit before coming here in 1940. He then joined the Navy's Torpedo Factory in Alexandria, where he was a tool and dye maker and supervisor before transferring to the David Taylor Model Basin in 1944. He worked there, as an instrument and model maker, until retiring in 1969.

He had served on the board of the Model Basin's credit union.

He then did consulting work until retiring again in the mid-1970s. On his own, he also had worked on dyes for hearing aides and heart valves, as well as on an instrument to crack cashews.

Mr. Milihram had been an usher at the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception and was a member of the 3rd and 4th degree Knights of Columbus. He also held commendations from the Red Cross for blood donations.

His wife, Lea, died in 1988. Survivors include three sons, Roger, of Boonesboro, Md., Gerald, of Haymarket, Va., and Julian, of Kensington; two sisters, Josephine Matick of Bloomfield Hills and Billie Miller of Detroit; a brother, Charlie, of Grosse Point Woods, Mich.; 23 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Government Employee

Leonard R. Davis, 84, a retired government employee who also had worked for the Red Cross, died of cancer Sept. 30 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. He lived in Fairfax.

Mr. Davis, who was born in Washington, was a 1924 graduate of the old Tech High School and attended George Washington University. In the 1920s and 1930s, he worked here and in New York and was a radio announcer, singer, and stage and radio actor. He also had served as a department chairman of New York's Municipal Arts Committee.

In 1939, he became a civilian codes and cipher employee of the Coast Guard. During World War II, he served with the Navy in Africa and Europe and again worked on codes and ciphers. He worked for the Central Intelligence Agency from 1947 to 1949.

He worked for the Red Cross here from 1949 to 1959. He helped devise its AMCROSS wire communications system. From 1959 to 1961, he was a vice president of Victor Comptometer, which made office equipment and machines, in Chicago.

In 1961, Mr. Davis returned here and rejoined the government. He retired in 1979 from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, where he was a contracts officer.

He was a member of the Robert Bruce chapter of the De Molay and the Key Club.

Survivors include his wife, the former Margaret Louise McLean, whom he married in 1954 and who lives in Fairfax; and a brother, Elwood, of Washington.



Earl B. Braly, 71, a retired Washington public relations consultant and a retired colonel in the Army Reserve, died Oct. 2 at a hospital in Hampton, Va., after a stroke.

Mr. Braly, who lived in Hampton, was a native of Texas. He graduated from the University of Texas, where he also received master's and doctoral degrees in English literature.

During World War II, Mr. Braly served in the Army as a public information officer. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War. He was a public affairs official at Texas Tech University in 1960 when he again returned to active duty.

He left the Army a final time in 1962 as a public affairs officer at the Pentagon. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1984.

Beginning in 1962, he worked here as a public affairs consultant. Over the years he maintained a residence in Hampton while working here. His clients included George Washington University and the Department of Health, Education and Welfare. He retired in March.

Mr. Braly was a member of the Retired Officers Association, the Public Relations Society of America and the Arts Club of Washington.

His marriage to Charlotte Braly ended in divorce. He leaves no immediate survivors.


Army Colonel

William Russell Spillman, 81, a retired Army colonel who later became director of jobs placement for American University graduates, died of cancer Oct. 1 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Col. Spillman, who lived at the Fairfax retirement community at Fort Belvoir, was born in Hickory, Pa. He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh, where he also received a master's degree in political science.

He joined the Army in 1942 and served in Southeast Asia during World War II. His postwar duty included assignments in the Panama Canal Zone and at various points in the United States, including Washington. He specialized in personnel and administration and retired from the Army in 1964 as adjutant general for the First Army at Governors Island, N.Y.

In retirement, Col. Spillman moved to the Washington area and joined the staff at American University. He retired there in 1972.

Survivors include his wife of 27 years, the former Margaret Mary Bailey of the Fairfax retirement community; and four sisters, Louise Weaver of Pittsburgh, Mary Langfitt of Myrtle Beach, S.C., and Virginia Miller and Myrtle Longdon, both of Burke, Va.


Bell Atlantic Official

William Carl Meissner, 52, director of labor relations for Bell Atlantic in Arlington, died of cancer Oct. 2 at Anne Arundel General Hospital in Annapolis.

Mr. Meissner, who lived in Severna Park, was born in Portland, Maine. He served in the Army in West Germany from 1962 to 1964.

He moved to the Washington area after his military service and graduated from George Washington University law school.

He began working for Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone, a division of Bell Atlantic, while still in law school, and he spent his professional career with the telephone company. He had been Bell Atlantic's director of labor relations for about the last five years.

He was a member of the Severna Park Rotary Club and the Chartwell Community Association in Severna Park.

Survivors include his wife, Jeanne Lankau Meissner of Severna Park; three children, Robert Meissner of Charlottesville and Patricia and Kristen Meissner, both of Severna Park; his mother, Margaret Meissner, and a brother, Francis Meissner, both of Portland.


CIA Secretary

Mercedes McDaniel Martell, 89, a retired Central Intelligence Agency secretary, died of pneumonia Oct. 2 at the Villa Rosa Nursing Home in Mitchellville.

Mrs. Martell, who lived in Wheaton, was born in Freedom, Wis. She graduated from Oshkosh State Normal School and taught school on Indian reservations in Wisconsin before moving to the Washington area in 1933.

During the 1940s, she taught sewing at the Singer Sewing Machine Co. in Silver Spring and later worked as a sales clerk at the G.C. Murphy store.

From the late 1940s until she retired in 1968, Mrs. Martell was a CIA secretary.

She was one of the original members of St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church in Wheaton, where she had been president of the leisure club and a member of the Sodality.

Her husband, Herman J. Martell, died in 1965.

Survivors include two children, Rosemary Cook Eisele of Wheaton and John P. Martell of Gaithersburg; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Management Analyst

Arthur Charles Bonham, 82, a retired management analyst at the Justice Department's office of records, operations and management, died at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital Oct. 1 after a heart attack.

He came to the Washington area in 1931 when he went to work at the Department of Agriculture's experimental farm in Arlington. He transferred to the Justice Department as a clerk in 1937. He became a supervisor in the office of records, operations and management in the late 1940s and a management analyst about 1960. He retired in 1973.

Mr. Bonham, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of Illinois. He was a graduate of the old National University law school. During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces.

Survivors include his wife, Elizabeth Bonham of Alexandria; three daughters, Christine Bonham of Falls Church, Bridget Bonham of Purcellville, Va., and Dinah Fisher of Alexandria; two sisters, Louise Brunson of Alexandria and Marjorie Hill of Tuscon; and four grandchildren.


Real Estate Agent

Marion Boss Walker Hobelman, 82, a retired real estate agent with Cathy Gilmore Real Estate in Silver Spring, died of cardiac arrest Sept. 30 at Montgomery General Hospital. She lived in Silver Spring.

Mrs. Hobelman was a Washington native and a graduate of the old Western High School. From the late 1950s until the late 1970s, she worked as a real estate agent for the Houghton & Son realty company in Silver Spring. She was at Cathy Gilmore Real Estate from 1983 until she retired in 1988.

Her first husband, J. Grahame Walker, who served in the Maryland House of Delegates, the Montgomery County Council and as a People's Court judge in Montgomery County, died in 1968.

Survivors include her husband, Alfred H. Hobelman of Silver Spring; two children by her first marriage, Sarah W. Risher of Chevy Chase and Priscilla W. Shows of Durham, N.C.; and three grandchildren.



E. Richard McIntyre, 63, a lawyer and Washington native who had operated a private practice in Silver Spring for nearly 20 years, died of an aneurysm Oct. 1 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mr. McIntyre, who lived in Silver Spring, graduated from Coolidge High School and the George Washington University law school. During World War II, he served in the Coast Guard.

From 1952 to 1954, he served as an assistant district attorney in Montgomery County. He then went to work at the law firm of Kardy, Brannen & Newman in Silver Spring. He established his own firm about 1971.

Mr. McIntyre's hobbies included playing the trumpet and singing in barbershop quartets and choruses.

Survivors inlcude his wife, Marie McIntyre of Silver Spring; five sons, Neil McIntyre of Athens, Ga., Ernest McIntyre of Naperville, Ill., and Chris McIntyre, Joe McIntyre and Russell McIntyre, all of Silver Spring; a sister, Ruth Peters of Silver Spring; and four grandchildren.



Paul Alfred Mills, 86, a retired analytical chemist at the Food and Drug Administration, died of a pulmonary embolism Sept. 21 at a hospital in Denver.

Mr. Mills, a resident of Lakewood, Colo., who had lived in the Washington area from 1955 to 1975, was born in Des Moines. He graduated from the University of Washington.

In the early 1930s, he went to work at the FDA in Seattle as an analytical chemist. During World War II, he served in the Army.

In 1955, after operating landscaping and poultry businesses in California, he rejoined the FDA and moved to Washington. He retired in 1964.

Mr. Mills, a former resident of Sterling, was a member of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists.

Survivors include his wife of 63 years, Elizabeth Humphrey Mills of Lakewood; two children, Barbara Mills Hillier of Lakewood and Alan Bruce Mills of Houston; and nine grandchildren.


Washington Resident

Dorothy Coman Hicks, 72, a longtime Washington resident, died of a pulmonary embolism Sept. 27 at her home in Washington.

She was born in Augusta, Ga., and came to this area when she was 2. Since around 1980, she had lived part of each year in Delray Beach, Fla.

Mrs. Hicks had attended Wellesley College.

Her husband, Robert Holman Hicks, died in 1988. She leaves no immediate survivors.