Mary Jane Marshall, 73, the founder and retired president of Marshall Associates, a real estate investment company, and a past president of the Ki-Wives Club in Washington, died of cancer Oct. 4 at her summer home in Rehoboth Beach, Del.
Mrs. Marshall, a resident of Chevy Chase, was born in West Haven, Conn., and grew up in Washington. She graduated from Immaculata High School and Columbus Law School, now part of Catholic University.
In World War II, she went to work on Capitol Hill on the staffs of representatives Martin J. Kennedy, Michael J. Kennedy and James J. Delaney, all New York Democrats. She resigned in 1946 when she married Marsh S. Marshall, a founder of E.S. Ginn & Co., the office products company.
In the mid-1960s, Mrs. Marshall founded Marshall Associates, a real estate investment firm that had interests in Washington, New York and Florida. She retired as its president in 1989.
In addition to her husband, of Chevy Chase and Rehoboth Beach, survivors include four children, Donna Constantinople and Maura C. Marshall, both of Washington, Marsh Marshall of London, and Jenifer M. Lippincott of Weston, Mass.; a brother, George R. Gallagher, a retired judge on the D.C. Court of Apeals, of Comus, Md.; a sister, Vera Avery of Washington; and four grandchildren.
JOHN ROBERT STIPP
Engineer and Parliamentarian
John Robert Stipp, 75, a retired hydrologist and project engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers who also was a member of the National Association of Parliamentarians and the American Institute of Parliamentarians, died of an aneurysm Oct. 4 at Arlington Hospital.
Mr. Stipp, a resident of Arlington, was born in Toledo. He graduated from the University of Illinois and received a master's degree in civil engineering from Catholic University. During World War II, he was an Army infantry officer, and he took part in the Battle of the Bulge in Europe.
In 1939, he went to work for the U.S. Geological Survey. He was assigned to Champaign, Ill., until 1951, when he joined the Corps of Engineers in Los Angeles. He was transferred to Washington in 1966 and was a project engineer for the Four Mile Run flood control project in Arlington. He retired in 1973.
As a parliamentarian, Mr. Stipp attended many national conventions as an expert on parliamentary procedure. He was a national treasurer of the National Association of Parliamentarians and a member of various committees of that organization, and he also served on several committees of the American Institute of Parliamentarians.
Mr. Stipp was a member of the Army & Navy Club and the Arlington Host Lions Club.
His first wife, the former Linda Peebles, died in 1973.
Survivors include his wife, Mary Evans Hooper "Heather" Stipp of Arlington, and a sister, Mary Anne Malandrinos of Santa Monica, Calif.
HAYDEN C. JOHNSON
Hayden C. Johnson, 82, a retired D.C. schools supplies and equipment manager who practiced law in Washington from 1967 to 1986, died Oct. 1 at Walter Reed Army Hospital. He had diabetes.
He worked for the D.C. schools from 1947 to 1967. He then practiced general law until retiring. Mr. Johnson, who was a native and resident of Washington, was a graduate of Dunbar High School and Howard University and its law school.
During World War II, he was an Army Air Forces officer with the Tuskegee Airmen, a famed group of black air officers who served in the Mediterranean theater. Although not a pilot, Mr. Johnson served overseas with the flyers in a variety of staff posts.
He was the author of the 1987 book, "Fighting 99th Air Squadron," published by Vantage Press. He was a member of the East Coast chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen.
Mr. Johnson was a member of the Omega Psi Phi service fraternity.
His marriage to Norma Johnson ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife, Margaret B. Johnson of Washington; a daughter by his first marriage, Carol Johnson-Dent of Larkspur, Calif.; and three granddaughters.
ROBERT D. KNOWLTON
Robert D. Knowlton, 44, a retired captain in the Navy civil engineer corps who lived in Vienna, died Oct. 6 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. He had cancer.
Capt. Knowlton was a native of Pittsfield, Mass. He was a 1969 graduate of the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and received a master's degree in engineering construction management from the Georgia Institute of Technology.
He served aboard destroyers and frigates before transferring to the civil engineer corps in 1972. After that, he spent much of his career with the Naval Facilities Engineering Command (NAVFAC) with postings in Hawaii and Alaska as well as this area.
Capt. Knowlton's assignments included a tour at Quantico as a public works and construction officer at the Marine Corps Development and Education Command. He retired in November 1989 from the NAVFAC's Chesapeake division.
He was a member of Epiphany Methodist Church in Vienna and the Society of American Military Engineers.
Survivors include his wife, Jayne, and two daughters, Jessica and Sarah Knowlton, all of Vienna; his mother, Dorothy Isom of Yarmouth Port, Mass.; and three sisters, Dana Smith of Orange, Calif., Mary Vaughn of Placentia, Calif., and Sue Williams of Fullerton, Calif.