Student protesters who were granted most of their demands left the University of the District of Columbia campus building they had occupied for 11 days yesterday, vowing to monitor the UDC trustees whose management style triggered the takeover.

In a show of unity after almost two weeks of bitter and emotional negotiations, students, trustees, administrators, staff, faculty and elected officials gathered on Dennard Plaza to share hugs and chant protest slogans.

Students accepted an agreement with the university's trustees late Friday. Those who gathered at the Van Ness campus yesterday said they hoped the takeover of the Student Affairs Building would change the course of the troubled university, which has seen five presidents come and go since 1978 and is plagued by serious academic problems and a deteriorating athletic department.

Student protest leaders and trustees had twice reached tentative agreement on several dozen issues, only to have the agreement rejected by the larger group of protesters.

Trustees, who had vowed to end negotiations at 11 p.m. Friday, feared that protesting students were going to reject the last proposal -- a move that might have led the board to have protesters forcibly removed from the building, according to trustee sources.

According to students, a last-minute plea from the Rev. Willie Wilson, pastor of Union Temple Baptist Church, was instrumental in convincing the protesters that they had won the battle, although they fell short of their goal of forcing all the appointed trustees to resign.

"Reverend Wilson, especially, gave us spiritual leadership that we really needed Friday night," said Mark Thompson, a leader of the protest.

The two sides agreed on 36 issues, most of them related to improvements in academic programs or academic support staff. The agreement also included amnesty for students involved in the takeover, as well as for faculty, staff and administrators who assisted students once they controlled Building 38.

A key provision of the agreement calls for trustees and student leaders to meet with the mayor-elect by Dec. 15 to discuss the makeup of the board of trustees and other issues students have raised.

Board resignations had been a key demand of students. Board chairwoman Nira Hardon Long and trustee Arthur M. Reynolds, both appointees of Mayor Marion Barry, resigned during the protest. Long's resignation is effective Oct. 16, Reynolds's was effective last Friday.

The Rev. A. Knighton Stanley, who emerged as a leader of the board in the past two weeks, also resigned effective March 31.

Spokesmen for the two major mayoral candidates, Democratic nominee Sharon Pratt Dixon and Republican nominee Maurice T. Turner Jr., said yesterday that the candidates endorsed the concept of a meeting to discuss the university's future and evaluate the performance of school's trustees.

Both Dixon and Turner have pledged to appoint an entirely new board of trustees if elected, the spokesmen said. However, board members can only be removed for cause.

Trustees praised the students and said they will begin working to implement the agreement on Tuesday.

"Never can anybody say again that these students are {any} other than the finest students," Stanley said.

Trustee Roger Wilkins, who had heated dialogue with Thompson during some particularly tense negotiating sessions, said the student takeover will have a lasting effect on how the university operates.

"I think some students thought it was absolutely necessary to get resignations from all trustees," Wilkins said. "People know now that they have to be accountable. The university is far stronger today than it was the day before students started their action."

Interim President Miles Mark Fisher IV said classes would resume on Tuesday, a day after the Columbus Day holiday. Fisher said the university's academic semester would be extended to enable students to make up classroom hours lost during the boycott.

In the meantime, student leaders cautioned officials not to interpret the protesters' leaving as a signal to return to business as usual.

Students have scheduled a rally at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at the District Building in support of a bill that is expected to be introduced that day to expand the board of trustees from 15 to 21 members, including a second student member. The bill is to be introduced by D.C. Council members Hilda H.M. Mason (Statehood-At Large) and William Lightfoot (I-At Large).

Another aim of the planned rally, some students said, is to let council members know that their actions, including confirmation of the mayor's appointments to the board, are being watched as well.

"This is not over. It does not end today," said Lisa Shaw, president of the Undergraduate Student Association. "We will continue to police you until we get all that we can get -- a quality education, a better education."