Douglas S. Dixon, 45, a respected forensic pathologist and former acting chief medical examiner of the District of Columbia, died Oct. 2 at his home in La Jolla, Calif. He had AIDS.

Dr. Dixon joined the D.C. Medical Examiner's Office in June 1979 as a deputy medical examiner, then served as acting chief medical examiner and education director from March 1983 until resigning in March 1984.

He then went to Massachusetts, where he became the state's associate chief medical examiner before joining the San Diego County Medical Examiner's Office in 1987 as a forensic pathologist. He was deputy chief when he retired for health reasons in November 1989.

As acting chief in Washington, he struggled with the city government against budget cuts and understaffing.

What had become one of the nation's most respected medical examiner's offices had been declining in staff and budget since the departure of James L. Luke as chief medical examiner.

Dr. Dixon was largely responsible for persuading D.C. Human Services Director David E. Rivers to correct some of the problems.

During his years as a deputy medical examiner, he participated in the investigation of the January 1982 Air Florida plane crash that claimed 78 lives.

He also conducted research on gunshot wounds for the Medical Examiner's Office.

In addition to work in the Medical Examiner's Office, he taught at the National Institutes of Health, the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences and the medical schools of Georgetown, George Washington and Howard universities.

He also lectured at Georgetown University law school, the D.C. Police Homicide School and to FBI groups.

Dr. Dixon served in the Army Medical Corps from 1975 to 1979. He was stationed at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and worked in forensic and aerospace pathology.

He attained the rank of major and was awarded the Defense Meritorious Service and Humanitarian Service medals.

During his years in the Army, he worked on the investigation of the jet airliner collision on the runway at Tenerife in the Canary Islands and the mass suicide in Jonestown, Guyana.

Dr. Dixon was born in East Orange, N.J., and graduated from high school in Rome, Ga. He graduated cum laude from the University of Virginia in 1967 with a degree in English. After graduating from the university's medical school in 1971, he came to Washington.

He spent the next three years as an intern and resident in anatomic pathology at George Washington University Hospital, then a year as a forensic pathology resident in the office of the D.C. Chief Medical Examiner.

He also studied at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and studied forensic osteology at the Smithsonian Institution's Museum of Natural History.

Dr. Dixon was a fellow of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences' pathology and biology section and a member of the National Association of Medical Examiners. He was the author of more than a dozen articles in technical forensic journals.

Survivors include his companion, Douglas M. Jaeger of La Jolla; his father; and a brother.


Construction Superintendent

Hamilton Bryden Jr., 86, a retired carpenter and construction superintendent, died Oct. 6 at Shady Grove Nursing Home in Gaithersburg after a stroke.

He had been a member of Local 132 of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners for 67 years.

Mr. Bryden, who was a native of Glasgow, Scotland, came to the United States and the Washington area in 1923. He lived in Silver Spring until entering the nursing home about a year ago.

From 1926 to 1945, he worked for the George A. Fuller construction company, becoming a general superintendent. He worked for several other firms, including American Construction Co., where he was a general superintendent. He retired in 1968.

Over the years, he supervised projects at the White House, Andrews Air Force Base and the Washington Navy Yard.

His wife, Charlotta, died in 1988. Survivors include a son, Jack, of Falls Church; a daughter, Sheila Stout of Rockville; and two sisters, Margaret Harrison of Olney and Ruby Greenan of Silver Spring.


Executive Secretary

Florence Roth, 70, a retired executive secretary and New York native who had lived in Washington since 1952, died of lymphoma Oct. 8 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Miss Roth worked for George Ball from 1952 to 1961, during which time Ball was a lawyer and a high State Department official. She then worked for Sen. Philip Hart (D-Mich.) from 1961 until his death in office in 1976. She worked briefly for Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.) before retiring in 1977.

After that, she worked part-time for the Kennedy Center and Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Survivors include a brother, George Roth of Rochester, N.Y.


Navy Rear Admiral

Donald Royce, 98, a retired Navy rear admiral who was a naval aviator and served during World War II as director of the production division of the Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics in Philadelphia, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Oct. 7 at Powhatan nursing home in Falls Church.

Adm. Royce was born in Marquette, Mich., and graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1914. He served two years aboard the battleship Texas during the Mexican border campaign, then in 1917 began serving in a variety of construction and production assignments.

He became a naval aviator in 1922 and held several assigments with the Navy's Bureau of Aeronautics. He received a master's degree in naval architecture from Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He retired from the Navy in 1951 after serving as Eastern District representative to the Bureau of Aeronautics in Brooklyn, N.Y. His military decorations included a Legion of Merit.

He was a member of the Army & Navy Club in Washington and a founding member of Army Navy Country Club.

In retirement, Adm. Royce lived in Riverside, Conn. He moved to Vinson Hall in McLean in 1986. He had been at Powhatan since suffering a stroke three years ago.

His first wife, the former Margaret Venable, died in 1934. His second wife of 49 years, Mabel Lydia Pihl Royce, died in 1984. Survivors include three daughters of his second marriage, Priscilla Fothergill of Washington, Phoebe Gilchrist of Rockville and Margreta Larson of Sandia Park, N.M.; and eight grandchildren.