William Berg, 72, a retired Air Force major general who later operated a women's wear boutique in Old Town Alexandria with his wife and daughter, died Oct. 5 at a hospital in San Antonio of complications following heart bypass surgery. A resident of Alexandria, he was in San Antonio for medical treatment.

Gen. Berg retired from the Air Force in 1974 after having served as assistant deputy chief of staff for programs and resources.

A native of Logansport, Ind., he began his military career in 1936 when he enlisted in the Army. He served three years before his discharge in 1939, then reenlisted in 1942.

He served in the Mediterranean and Europe during World War II and remained in Europe with occupation forces until 1947. He transferred to the Air Force when it became a separate service in 1947 and served at bases in North Carolina and New York, then in 1952 returned to Germany.

He moved to the Washington area in 1956 and had served in a variety of jobs at the Pentagon, including chief of the officer promotion board, deputy assistant secretary of defense for military personnel policy and director of manpower and organization for the Air Force.

While serving in the Air Force, he graduated from the University of Maryland and received a master's degree in business administration at George Washington University. He had also attended the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.

His military decorations include the Distinguished Service Medal, the Legion of Merit and the Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster.

In retirement he had worked three years as vice president of personnel and administration for ITPC telecommunications in Washington. Since 1977, he had participated in the management of La Donna women's wear boutique in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife, Vera Berg of Alexandria; three children, Walter Berg of Westfield, Ind., Lucy Khairy of Geneva, and Caroline Kutil of Marlboro, Mass.; a stepson, George Custodi of Aiken, S.C.; and five grandchildren.



John Purcell Leary III, 48, a secretary in the patient activities department of the National Institutes of Health, died of cancer Oct. 8 at the Joseph Richey Hospice in Baltimore.

Mr. Leary, who lived in Capitol Heights, was born in Lexington, Va. He graduated from Virginia Military Institute. As a young man he taught briefly in Honduras, worked in an antipoverty program in rural Virginia, sold textbooks and taught English at Fishburne Military Academy in Waynesboro, Va.

He also had been a civil rights activist, and in 1968 was arrested and jailed with a group of protesters who refused to obey police orders to disperse during the Poor People's Campaign in Washington.

For about the last five years, he had worked in the patient activities department at NIH, where his duties involved setting up programs for recovering patients. Earlier, he had been a file clerk in the NIH radiology department and had held several jobs at the Labor Department. He had lived in the Washington area for about the last 20 years.

Mr. Leary had participated in yoga and Shalem meditation programs at St. Mark's Episcopal Church in Washington, where he also sang and acted in theatrical productions.

He had been a participant in Alcoholics Anonymous for about 12 years.

Survivors include his father, John Purcell Leary Jr. of Richmond; a brother, Michael Beirne Leary, and a sister, Nora Champe Leary, both of Lexington.


Teacher and Administrator

Murray Schere, 69, a retired social studies teacher and administrator with the District of Columbia and Montgomery County public schools, died of cancer Sept. 22 at a hospital in Scottsdale, Ariz. He had lived in Scottsdale the last three years.

Mr. Schere, a former Silver Spring resident, was a native of New York City who came here as a teenager. He served with the Navy in the Southwest Pacific in World War II. He was a graduate of the old Wilson Teachers College.

He joined the D.C. schools after the war, and taught at several schools, including Kramer Junior High, before serving as principal of Wilson High School for five years until retiring in 1969. He then taught at Peary and Kennedy high schools in Montgomery County from 1972 until retiring about 1981. He also had taught in the 1970s at the Washington Hebrew Congregation.

Survivors include his wife, Claire, of Scottsdale; two daughters, Donna Merrill of Beaumont, Tex., and Laura Jessee of Phoenix; his mother, Amelia Schere of Rockville; and three grandchildren.


Photocopying Service Manager

John William Zungri, 32, who was killed Oct. 6 in an car accident on Sier Drive near Laytonsville, had been a service manager at Veterans Photocopying Inc. in Gaithersburg.

A spokesman for the Montgomery County police said Mr. Zungri was thrown from his car after the automobile left the road and struck a guardrail, a utility poll and a tree. Police said they were unable to determine if he had been wearing a seat belt.

Mr. Zungri, who lived in Monrovia, Md., was a native of Uniontown, Pa. In the mid-1980s, he had worked part-time for a Veterans Photocopying outlet there. In 1988, he came to Gaithersburg to work for the company full time.

In addition to working as a service manager in the Washington area, he supervised the company's repair and maintenance shop work.

His marriage to Robin Zungri ended in divorce.

Survivors include a daughter, Jennifer Renee Zungri, his parents, Samuel W. Zungri and Nellie Velter Zungri, and a brother, Patsy Zungri Sr., all of Uniontown; and a sister, Marlene Swaney of Monrovia.


Washington Resident

William Foster Parmelee, 34, a graduate of Sidwell Friends School and a former Washington resident who had moved to Nebraska last year, was killed Oct. 8 in a railroad yard in Hastings, Neb.

A spokesman for the Adams County Attorney said that Mr. Parmelee was run over by a train in the Burlington Northern Railroad Co. yard in Hastings. The case is under investigation.

Mr. Parmelee was an out-patient at the Hastings Regional Center, a mental health facility where he had been receiving treatment since last year.

The son of a Foreign Service officer, Mr. Parmelee was born in Tokyo and grew up in Washington. While at Sidwell Friends, he studied for a year at the Goethe Institute in West Germany. He graduated in 1974 and attended George Washington University for three years. He served in the Marine Corps from 1980 to 1981, when he received a physical disablity discharge. He then lived here until moving to Nebraska.

Survivors include his parents, Terry Parmelee of Washington and Foster Parmelee Jr., of New Zealand; two sisters, Suzanne Parmelee of Bethesda, and Judith Barnhard of Silver Spring.


Area Resident Since 1938

Mildred Macon Yates, 78, an area resident since 1938 who was a member of Grace Episcopal Church in Alexandria and the church's Daughters of the King, died of pneumonia Oct. 6 at her home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Yates was born in Baltimore and lived in Charlottesville before coming here and settling in Alexandria.

Her marriage to Harold T. Yates ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Lyttleton, of Falls Church, and Dr. Harold T. Jr., of St. Albans, Vt.; two daughters, Mildred Yates Gibson of Standardsville, Va., and Nancy Weaver Yates of Charlottesville; 13 grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.


Mechanical Engineer

Andrew N. Carras, 70, a former civil mechanical engineer and retired Army operations research study director, died of cancer Oct. 8 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Carras, who came here in 1954, was a native of New York City. He was a graduate of the City College of New York and served with the Army's 83rd Infantry Division in Europe during World War II.

He was a partner in the old Bethesda mechanical engineering concern, Inter-Controls Inc., from 1962 to 1976. Before that, he had been a control engineer with the Grovar engineering company here. From 1977 until retiring in 1987, he worked for the Army's Concepts Analysis Agency in Bethesda.

Mr. Carras was a member of the congregation of the Saint Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral in Washington. He also was a Mason and a member of the Order of AHEPA and the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife of 35 years, Theodora, of Silver Spring; two sons, Nicholas A., of Meyersville, Md., and George A., of Washington; a daughter, Valerie Carras of Kensington; two sisters, Ann Vergos of Flushing, N.Y., and Helen Maragakes of Holmes Beach, Fla.; and two granddaughters.