Barbara Boggs Sigmund, 51, the mayor of Princeton, N.J., and the daughter of U.S. Rep. Corinne C. "Lindy" Boggs (D-La.), died of cancer Oct. 10 at her home in Princeton.

Mrs. Sigmund was born in New Orleans just after her father, Hale Boggs, a Louisiana Democrat, was elected to the House of Representatives. She grew up in Washington.

In 1972, while serving as House majority leader, Hale Boggs died in an Alaska airplane crash, and his wife was elected to his House seat.

Mrs. Sigmund was a graduate of Manhattanville College of the Sacred Heart in New York. She worked on the White House staff during the Kennedy administration.

In 1964, she married Paul E. Sigmund, a political science professor at Princeton University, and moved to Princeton. She had been mayor of Princeton since 1984 and earlier had taught Latin and religion at Stuart Country Day School in Princeton.

In 1976 she was elected to the Mercer County Board of Freeholders after having served as a member of the Princeton Borough Council. She was president of the board in 1979 and 1980. In 1982 she ran for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. Senate, finishing fourth in a field of 10 candidates.

It was in 1982 that Mrs. Sigmund learned that she had cancer, when a malignant melanoma was found behind her left eye. The eye was removed and she continued to pursue her political career.

In 1989, she was an unsuccessful candidate for the Democratic nomination for governor of New Jersey. She lost to James J. Florio, who is now governor.

Mrs. Sigmund was found to have had a recurrence of cancer last year and had undergone chemotherapy treatments while continuing her political campaign and managing her duties as mayor of Princeton.

In addition to her husband and her mother, survivors include three sons, Paul Sigmund of Ann Arbor, Mich., David Sigmund of Detroit and Stephen Sigmund of New Orleans, and a sister, Cokie Roberts of Bethesda, a correspondent for National Public Radio and ABC television and radio news; and a brother, Thomas Hale Boggs, a prominent Washington lawyer.



Councilman Morgan, 70, a physician who had served as senior executive assistant to the president of the National Academy of Sciences and earlier as dean of curriculum at Columbia University Medical School, died Oct. 10 at Anne Arundel General Medical Center in Annapolis of complications after open-heart surgery.

Dr. Morgan was born in Cambridge, Mass. He graduated from Harvard University and Columbia Medical School, then served as an instructor at Columbia from 1946 to 1948.

He was an Army physician from 1948 to 1952 and was detailed to do research at the National Institutes of Health. He returned to Columbia in 1952 and was named dean of curriculum there in 1970.

In 1977, Dr. Morgan moved to the Washington area as executive director of the Assembly of Life Sciences of the National Academy of Sciences. He became senior executive assistant to the president in 1981 and retired in 1982.

On his retirement, Dr. Morgan returned to New York, but he returned to this area in 1989 and since then had lived in Annapolis.

He was a member of the board of directors of the Radiation Effects Research Foundation, and in that capacity had traveled frequently to Hiroshima and Nagasaki, Japan, the sites of the two World War II atomic bombings.

He was author of more than 90 scientific articles in the field of electromicroscopy.

Survivors include his wife, Hallee Perkins Morgan of Annapolis; four children, Dr. Hallee P. Morgan of Washington, Christiana Morrison of Pahoa, Hawaii, Hillary Morgan of San Francisco, and Councilman S. Morgan of Beltsville; and three grandchildren.



Susan T. Baker, 72, a Northern Virginia volunteer and civic activist, died Oct. 11 at Arlington Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Baker, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Sheboygan, Wis. She graduated from the University of Wisconsin and did postgraduate study there and at the Department of Agriculture's Graduate School in consumer economics.

She moved to the Washington area in 1939.

In the late 1960s and early 1970s, she was a consultant for Community Development Services and served on the Virginia Board of Agriculture and Commerce.

She was a founder of the Arlington Outdoor Education Association, a nonprofit organization that in 1972 acquired and developed a 200-acre tract in Fauquier County as a nature education center for Arlington public school students.

She was a member of the Arlington Committee of 100, a citizens planning organization, and served on the White House Beautification Committee during the Johnson administration.

During the 1980s, she was a volunteer at the Arlington County Information Center at Crystal City. She was a wood carver and had been active in Northern Virginia Wood Carvers.

Her husband, John A. Baker, died in 1982.

Survivors include six children, Roger Baker of League City, Tex., James Baker of Newton, Mass., Robert Baker of Arlington, David Baker of Maitland, Fla., Judith Baker of Denton, Tex., and Gordon Baker of Atlanta; and eight grandchildren.


WRC-TV Supervisor

John Eugene Platt, 71, a retired electrical maintenance supervisor at WRC-TV in Washington, died Oct. 7 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Platt, who lived in Alexandria, was a native of South Dakota, and he attended South Dakota State University. During World War II, he served in the Navy as a pilot in North Africa and Europe. He served in the Navy Reserve until the mid-1950s and attained the rank of lieutenant commander.

After the war, he was a radio broadcaster in Brownsville, Tex. He came to the Washington area in 1948 when he went to work at WRC-TV.

He retired in 1981 and was a television electronics consultant at the CIA until 1986.

Mr. Platt was a ham radio operator and a member of the Quarter Century Wireless Association, the Veterans Wireless Operators Association, the Society of Wireless Pioneers and the Retired Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy R. Platt of Alexandria; four sons, John Platt Jr. of Ann Arbor, Mich., Grant Platt of New York City, Bruce Platt of Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., and Mark Platt of Hastings-on-Hudson, N.Y.; a brother, Robert Platt of Biloxi, Miss.; a sister, Dorothy Lees of Charlotte, N.C., and six grandchildren.



Jackson Feldesman, 83, a retired Silver Spring dentist, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 10 at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington in Rockville.

Dr. Feldesman, who lived in Rockville, was born in New York City. He graduated from Syracuse University and received his dental degree at Georgetown University in 1933.

During the 1930s and early 1940s he practiced dentistry in New York, then during World War II served in the Public Health Service.

He came to the Washington area in 1946 and helped in the establishment of a dental clinic for the Veterans Administration. Shortly thereafter he opened a private practice in dentistry in Silver Spring. He retired about 10 years ago.

Dr. Feldesman had been a member of the Southern Maryland Dental Society. He had visited public schools to teach children preventive dentistry.

In retirement he traveled extensively.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, the former Gladys Devera Tepper of Rockville; two children, Jonathan David Feldesman of Baltimore and Margaret Bonnie Lefkowitz of Bethesda, and a brother, William Feldesman of Annapolis.


North Potomac 2-Year-Old

Julianna Gorog, a 2-year-old, died of cancer Oct. 7 at the home of a family friend in North Potomac.

She was born in Bethesda and lived in North Potomac.

Survivors include her parents, Peter and Jorgy Gorog, and three sisters, Vera, Shari and Laura Gorog, all of North Potomac, and three grandparents, Olga Vekes of Budapest, and the Rev. John and Bobbie Walker of Rockville.


AP Newsman

Edward Harrison Higgs, 79, the day supervisor at the Associated Press Washington bureau for 24 years until he retired in 1975, died of cancer Oct. 9 at a hospital in Slidell, La.

Mr. Higgs began his career at the Associated Press in the mid-1930s as a reporter at its Pittsburgh bureau. He was an editor there when he transferred to here in 1941.

During World War II, his duties included assignments as an editor on the night desk and editing war communiques from the Navy Department. He became day supervisor in 1951.

A native of Parsons, W.Va., Mr. Higgs graduated from West Virginia University. In the early 1930s, he worked as an editor for newspapers in Mannington, Buckhannon and Clarksburg, W.Va., before joining AP.

He moved from Gaithersburg to Louisiana in 1988.

His wife, Harriet Havener Higgs, died in 1981.

Survivors include a son, Robert H. Higgs of Pearl River, La.; a daughter, Marianne Higgs of Lakewood, N.J.; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Nuclear Engineer

Jack E. Stader, 66, a retired nuclear engineer at the Department of Energy, where he worked on advanced reactor programs in the office of the assistant secretary for nuclear energy, died of leukemia Oct. 2 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Stader, a resident of Gaithersburg, was born in Jackson, Mich. He graduated from the University of Michigan and became a licensed professional engineer in Michigan.

He worked for an architectural engineering firm in Michigan and the Brown & Root construction company in Houston before moving to the Washington area in 1973 and joining the old Atomic Energy Commission, a predecessor of the Energy Department. He retired in 1987.

Mr. Stader was a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

Survivors include his wife, Patricia J. Stader, whom he married in 1954, of Gaithersburg; a daughter, Catherine E. Stader, also of Gaithersburg, and a sister, Joyce M. Church of Lansing, Mich.