George E. Hamilton Jr., 95, a partner emeritus of Hamilton & Hamilton, Washington's oldest law firm, and a past president of the Corcoran Gallery of Art, died Oct. 11 at his home in Washington. He had a stroke.

In a career at the bar that lasted nearly 70 years, Mr. Hamilton served on the boards of directors of Potomac Electric Power Co., Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., WMAL Broadcasting Co., and Union Trust Co. and its successor, First American Bank.

Among other assignments was the purchase of The Washington Post at a bankruptcy sale on June 1, 1933, on behalf of Eugene Meyer, a businessman and former governor of the Federal Reserve Board. He was the father of Katharine Graham, the current chairman of The Washington Post Co., and grandfather of Donald E. Graham, publisher of the newspaper.

Acting on Meyer's instructions, Mr. Hamilton kept the identity of his principal secret until the sale received final approval from the bankruptcy court 10 days later. The paper was owned by Edward Beale "Ned" McLean, whose wife, Evalyn Walsh McLean, possessed the Hope Diamond. There were three bidders, and the sale was conducted on the steps of the old Post building on E Street NW. The final price was $825,000.

As a leader of the city's cultural life, Mr. Hamilton was president of the Corcoran from 1953 to 1974, and also a life trustee of the gallery. He was a founder and board member of the Washington chapter of the American Cancer Society and a recipient of its St. George Medal. He was a volunteer with the American Red Cross and the Washington Monument Society.

He was a past president of the Chevy Chase, Metropolitan and Alfalfa clubs.

A fifth-generation Washingtonian, Mr. Hamilton attended Georgetown University, where he received bachelor's and law degrees. He served in the Army in World War I and was honorably discharged as a sergeant.

In 1920, he joined Hamilton & Hamilton, which was founded in 1876 by members of his family. He was the firm's senior partner for 40 years until about 1985, when he became a partner emeritus. He continued to work until he became ill about two years ago.

He was a member of the D.C. Bar, the Alibi, Lawyers and Barristers clubs, the parish of St. Thomas Apostle Catholic Church in Washington, the Knights of St. Gregory, which is a church organization, and the Society of Cincinnati.

His wife, Marian H. Hamilton, whom he married in 1921, died in 1984.

Survivors include four children, Louise H. Matthai of Bethesda, George E. Hamilton III of Chevy Chase, Betty Mae Madden of Lakeville, Conn., and William H. Hamilton of Annapolis; 19 grandchildren; and 19 great-grandchildren.

A daughter, Marian H. Cannon, died in 1978.


Census Official

Morris H. Hansen, 79, a statistician who specialized in sample survey systems and who was a retired associate director for research and development at the Census Bureau, died of a heart ailment Oct. 8 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mr. Hansen worked at the Census Bureau from 1935 until 1968, when he joined Westat, a statistical research company of which he was chairman at the time of his death. At the Census Bureau he became statistical director in the mid-1940s and headed that section during a period when electronic devices, such as optical scanning equipment, were first used to compile and measure statistical data.

In addition he was a consultant to other governments, including those of Canada and India, and the co-author, with William N. Hurwitz and William G. Madow, of "Sample, Survey Methods and Theory," a two-volume work published in 1953 that is a standard reference of sample survey methods.

The systems he helped develop are used in compiling such things as opinion polls, crop forecasts, rates of unemployment and consumer prices.

In 1962, he received a public service award from the Rockefeller Foundation.

Mr. Hansen was a past president of the International Association of Survey Statisticians, the American Statistical Association and the Institute for Mathematical Statistics. He was an honorary fellow of the Royal Statistical Society, an honorary member of the International Statistical Institute and a member of the National Academy of Sciences.

A resident of Rockville, Mr. Hansen was born in Wyoming. He graduated from the University of Wyoming and received a master's degree in statistics from American University. He came to the Washington area in 1935.

His first wife, Mildred Hansen, died in 1982.

Survivors include his wife, Eleonore Hansen of Rockville; four children from his first marriage, Evelyn Allin of Germantown, Morris H. Hansen II of San Jose, James H. Hansen of Silver Spring and Kristine Hansen Hare of Annapolis; and 10 grandchildren.


SEC Counsel

Roger S. Foster, 89, a former general counsel to the Securities and Exchange Commission, died of cardiac arrest Oct. 9 at his home in the Brookmont section of Bethesda.

Mr. Foster was born in St. Paul, Minn. He graduated from Yale University and Harvard Law School.

He practiced law in St. Paul for three years, then served two years as an assistant professor at Harvard Law School and six years as an associate professor at Yale Law School before moving to Washington and joining the staff of the SEC in 1935.

His work there involved obtaining court approval of simplification and integration orders of the SEC under the Holding Company Act. From 1940 to 1944 he was counsel to the SEC's Division of Public Utilities. He was appointed solicitor in 1944, a title that was changed to general counsel in 1948.

He left the SEC in 1953 to work in Pittsburgh as counsel to Westinghouse Air Brake Co. In 1966 he returned to Washington and worked as special counsel to the SEC until retiring from the government in 1970.

For the next 10 years Mr. Foster was a volunteer at the Center for Law and Social Policy, where he specialized in legislation related to the environment.

He was an enthusiastic hiker, camper, photographer and gardener.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Genevieve W. Foster of Brookmont; three children, Charles B. Wakeman of Hickory, N.C., Roger S. Foster Jr. of Shelburne, Vt., and Jane Buckwalter of Brooklyn, N.Y.; 10 grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.


Consulting Firm Manager

Richard Gordon Coombe, 40, an administrative manager at Consultants for Epidemiology and Occupational Health, a Washington research and consulting firm, died Oct. 5 at Washington Hospital Center. He had AIDS.

Mr. Coombe, who lived in Washington, was born in the District. He grew up in Alexandria. He graduated from Annandale High School and Greensboro College in North Carolina.

From 1973 to 1983, he was a support services manager at the Fairfax Hospital emergency room. He then joined Consultants for Epidemiology and Occupational Health.

He had been a volunteer at the Whitman-Walker Clinic and with several area crisis hotlines, including the Washington Area Council on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Hotline.

Survivors include his companion, Rick Unger of Washington; his mother, Elsie Coombe of Annandale; two brothers, Dennis Coombe of Great Falls, and Kevin Coombe of Herndon, and a grandfather, Thomas Owens of Annandale.


Tavern Manager

Alonzo Bowman Dickerson, 90, a retired senior chief petty officer in the Navy Reserve who served on active duty during three wars and operated the Friendly Tavern in Lorton from 1945 until 1970, died in a nursing home in Shunk, Pa., Oct. 9 after a stroke.

Mr. Dickerson was a native of Shunk. He served in the Navy during World War I. He then lived in Elmira, N.Y., before coming to the Washington area in 1936 as a photographer. During World War II, he served on active duty in the Atlantic.

He owned the Friendly Tavern in Lorton from 1945 until he sold it in 1950. He then continued to work there as manager. During the Korean War, he served on active duty for one year. He retired from the Navy Reserve in 1965.

After retiring as tavern manager in 1970, he maintained homes in Florida and Pennsylvania until 1988, when he settled permanently in Shunk.

His wife, Inza Cathleen Dickerson, whom he married in 1925, died in 1976.

Survivors include two daughters, Athelda O'Rourke of Woodbridge and Loretta Wright of Manassas; his brother, John Dickerson of Pawcatuck, Conn.; 12 grandchildren; and 15 great-grandchildren.


CIA Official

Lawrence U. Di Giulian, 79, a retired official of the Central Intelligence Agency's Foreign Broadcast Information Service for Soviet affairs, died of heart ailments Oct. 10 at his home in Falls Church.

Mr. Di Giulian was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Catholic University. He began working as a clerk at the White House Post Office before World War II, then served in the Army in Europe during the war.

He returned to the White House Post Office after the war and ramained there through the Eisenhower administration, then joined the CIA. He retired in 1972.

In retirement he grew vegetables at a garden at his home.

Survivors include his wife of 48 years, Calista Di Giulian of Falls Church; seven children, Mary Di Giulian of Alexandria, Tony Di Giulian of Philadelphia, Stephen Di Giulian of Vienna, Julie White of Richmond, Ellen Fitzgerald of Annandale and Mark Di Giulian and Anita Sutherland, of Warrenton; and nine grandchildren.



Lillian A. Wambold, 68, a retired executive secretary at the Department of Agriculture, died of cancer Oct. 9 at her home in Springfield.

Mrs. Wambold was a native of Pennsylvania. During World War II, she served as a Navy WAVE. She left the Navy in 1947 and became a secretary at the Navy Department until 1950. From 1953 until 1958, she worked at the Business and Defense Services Administration in the Commerce Department and later at the Central Intelligence Agency.

In 1972, she went to the Army Computer Command at Fort Belvoir and transferred to the Agriculture Department in 1974. She retired in 1982.

Mrs. Wambold was a member of Kirkwood Presbyterian Church in Springfield and WAVES National.

Survivors include her husband, Kenneth L. Wambold of Springfield; a daughter, Robin Singleton of Atlanta; a brother, George Irwin of Oaks, Pa.; and a grandchild.


Electrical Engineer

Norman V. Coyle, 76, a retired electrical engineer at the Navy Department's Bureau of Ships, died of complications from a perforated ulcer Oct. 11 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Coyle, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Massachusetts, where he graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

He came to the Washington area in 1940 when he joined the Bureau of Ships. He retired in 1972.

He was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Arlington and the Knights of Columbus.

His wife, Rita Coyle, died in 1980.

Survivors include four children, Jean Potts of Fairfax Station, Hugh Coyle of Washington, Patricia Bandy of Nanuet, N.Y., and Joan Coyle of Tewksbury, Mass.; two sisters, Frances Coyle of Worcester, Mass., and Zita Billingsley of McLean; a brother, John Coyle of Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., and six grandchildren.