D.C. police yesterday released the names of six of eight homicide victims who died on Washington streets during one of the most bloody one-day periods in recent years in the city.

All eight cases remain under investigation by a harried homicide division. Some investigators said that the slayings, which began Friday night, had occurred so rapidly that they did not have time to investigate the crime scenes as thoroughly as they wanted.

The violence continued yesterday, though at a much slower pace, as police reported a ninth homicide.

They said Maurice Curtis, 25, of the 700 block of Kenyon Street NW, was shot in the head about 5 p.m. in his apartment.

He died shortly afterward at Washington Hospital Center. Police said they did not know of a motive in the shooting.

A police official said investigators are looking into possible connections between the earlier homicides, most of which involved men in their twenties. However, the official would not say which of the crimes may be related or why police believe there may be a link.

Several of the victims were shot at point-blank range and died of head wounds, police said. The hands of at least three victims had been bound. No arrests have been made.

The wave of homicides brought the number of slayings this year to 371 and leaves the District with 19 more homicides than in the same period last year, which eventually ended as the most violent year in the city's history.

Police said at least three of the weekend slayings -- those in which the victims were bound -- had the appearance of executions.

Two men, Louis R. King, 25, of the 1800 block of Newton Street NW, and Raul M. McPherson, 20, of the 9900 block of Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring, were found shot to death about 1 a.m. Saturday in a car in the unit block of Longfellow Street NE.

Both men had been handcuffed, and their heads were wrapped in duct tape.

The other man who police said was shot execution style was identified as Franklin M. Mendez, 30, who had no local address. He was slain about 9:30 p.m. Saturday in the 6000 block of Sligo Mill Road NE.

Two of the homicides occurred in a 30-minute span beginning at 2:30 p.m. Saturday. First, 28-year-old Vernon Blake was shot several times outside the Mayfair Mansions housing project, near the corner of Hayes Street and Kenilworth Avenue NE. Then Marco White, 22, of the 1400 block of Morningside Drive in Silver Spring, was shot to death in the 1900 block of Fourth Street NW.

Earlier Saturday, about 4:30 a.m., Patrick Manning, 24, of the 700 block of Hobart Place NW, was shot once in the head while near the corner of 30th Street and Buena Vista Terrace SE.

Police had not determined the identity of a man who was found shot to death in the 4800 block of Texas Avenue SE about midnight Friday.

And police had not yet notified relatives of a 31-year-old California man who was shot several times about 8 p.m. Friday while in the unit block of K Street NE.