Army Geologist

Robert Henry Nesbitt, 83, a retired chief geologist for the Army Corps of Engineers, died of cancer Oct. 15 at Sunnyside Presbyterian Village in Harrisonburg, Va., where he had lived since 1986.

Mr. Nesbitt had worked 39 years for the Corps of Engineers by the time of his retirement in 1969. His service included work on dam building in Ohio and duty in the Corps of Engineers offices in Pittsburgh, Mobile, Ala., and Cincinnati before he was assigned to the Washington area in 1948. He became chief geologist in 1957.

He specialized in flood control and hydroelectric and navigation projects, and invented several instruments that helped strengthen bedrock foundations.

Born in the Punjab in India to American missionary parents, he lived in India until his early teens, when he came to the United States to attend high school in New Corcord, Ohio. He graduated from Muskingum College there and received a master's degree in geology at Ohio State University before joining the Corps of Engineers in 1930.

After his retirement from the government, Mr. Nesbitt worked as a self-employed consultant, specializing in river development projects in Europe, South America and the Middle East. He retired from that business in 1975.

He was a fellow of the Geological Society of America and a former chairman of its engineering geology division and a recipient of the Exceptional Civilian Service Award from the Department of the Army.

Mr. Nesbitt was an elder of Fairlington Presbyterian Church in Alexandria.

A former resident of Alexandria, he moved to Lehigh Acres, Fla., in 1981, and lived there until moving to Harrisonburg.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Virginia Bell Nesbitt of Harrisonburg; two sons, Hadley Sime Nesbitt of Pennington, N.J., and Hugh Miller Nesbitt of Lyndhurst, Va.; a sister, Nancy N. Jansson of Carol Stream, Ill.; and a grandson.


Navy Captain

Hal K. Edwards, 82, a retired Navy captain who served as an aviator in the Pacific during World War II, died of cancer Oct. 13 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Vienna.

Capt. Edwards, who had been an area resident since retiring from active duty in 1962, was a native of St. Paul, Minn. He graduated from the University of Minnesota and was commissioned as an aviator about 1930.

During the 1930s, he served aboard the U.S.S. Langley, the Navy's first aircraft carrier. He also served as an aviator in China and as a flight instructor in Florida.

He was later assigned to the battleship Maryland, based at Pearl Harbor, and was aboard during the Japanese attack on Dec. 7, 1941. Later in the war he commanded a reconaissance squadron in the Solomon Islands and served as executive officer of an escort carrier.

His postwar assignments included duty at various Navy air stations in this country and a tour as Navy attache at the legation in Tangier, Morocco.

His military decorations included the Bronze Star.

After retirng from active duty, he settled in the Washington area. He was a member of the Quiet Birdmen, an aviation group.

His wife, Elinor "Billy" Edwards, died in 1955.

Survivors include three children, Michael Edwards of Vienna, Bruce Edwards of Chantilly and Caroline Esfandiari of San Jose; two brothers, Bob and Art Edwards, both of St. Paul; and five grandchildren.


U.S. Customs Lawyer

Morgan L. Tenny, 71, a retired U.S. Customs Service lawyer and a past exalted ruler of the Silver Spring Elks Lodge, died of heart ailments Oct. 14 at his home in Garrett Park.

Mr. Tenny was born in Yonkers, N.Y., and grew up in Garrett Park. He graduated from Western High School in Washington and the University of Maryland and received a law degree from George Washington University.

During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

In the late 1940s, Mr. Tenny went to work for the Montgomery County Department of Licenses and Inspections. In 1950, he became the clerk of the Montgomery County Council. In 1952, he established a private law practice in Silver Spring.

In 1962, he went to work at the Veterans Administration, and about 1970 he transferred to what was then called the U.S. Customs Bureau. He retired from the Customs Service in 1979.

Survivors include his wife, Anne T. Tenny, whom he married in 1942, of Garrett Park; four children, Colin Tenny and Pamela Tenny, both of Silver Spring, Carole Tenny-Boster of Brooklyn, Conn., and Eloise Libassi of Dalton, Pa.; two sisters, Elaine Rose of McLean and Adele Galloway of Fredericksburg, Va.; and three grandchildren.


Engineering Professor

Boris L. Krayterman, 55, an associate professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Maryland, died of a heart attack Oct. 9 at his home in Rockville.

Dr. Krayterman was born in the Soviet Union and received a doctorate in engineering mechanics at the Polytechnical Institute at Saratov, where he served on the faculty from 1964 to 1969. From 1969 to 1979, he was an associate professor of engineering mechanics at the Ukrainian Institute of Hydraulic Engineers at Rovno.

He came to the United States in 1980 and worked at the Bechtel Power Corp. in Gaithersburg until 1985. He taught calculus at Montgomery College before joining the faculty at the University of Maryland in 1986. At Maryland he taught courses in aerospace and mechanical engineering.

Dr. Krayterman was the author of more than 30 articles dealing with the analysis of shell structures. He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.

Survivors include his wife, Irina Krayterman, and two children, Anatoly and Lyu Bov Krayterman, all of Rockville; and his father, a brother and a sister in Israel.


GWU Alumna, Club Member

Constance Fryer Reese, 62, a member of All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase and several clubs, died of Parkinson's disease Oct. 15 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Reese was born in Philadelphia and moved to the Washington area as a child. She graduated from Wilson High School and George Washington University, and she attended GWU law school.

She was a founder of the Carol Cragoe Circle of Florence Crittenton Services, a division of the Florence Crittenton Home. She was a former regent of the Richard Arnold chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and a member of the Washington Assembly, the Washington Club, the Spring Valley-Wesley Heights Garden Club, the Homesteaders Garden Club, the Kenwood Golf & Country Club and St. Mary's Guild at All Saints Church.

Survivors include her husband, Robert B. Reese of Washington; four sons, R. Townsend Reese of Miami, L. Fitzhugh Reese of Chevy Chase, E. French Reese of Sherwood Forest, Md., and Navy Lt. T. Langhorne Reese of Newport, R.I.; and three grandchildren.