David Livingston Carrasco, 70, former athletic director and basketball coach at American University, died Oct. 17 in a public park in El Paso. A spokesman for the El Paso Police Department said the death was caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound and had been ruled a suicide.

Mr. Carrasco was athletic director and basketball coach at American University from 1956 to 1964. In that period, he took his team to Division III quarter finals for three consecutive years.

From 1951 to 1955, he was head basketball coach at Silver Spring's Montgomery Blair High School. His teams won three state championships in that period.

A native of El Paso, Mr. Carrasco graduated from what was then the Texas College of Mines. He was a coach and teacher in El Paso, then during World War II served in the Navy.

After the war, he taught in California. In 1947, he moved to the Washington area. He taught at Silver Spring Intermediate School and Takoma Park Junior High School before becoming basketball coach at Montgomery Blair.

In 1964, Mr. Carrasco left American University to become regional Peace Corps director in Ecuador. In 1967 and 1968, he was Olympic attache to the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City. In this capacity, he helped monitor U.S. coaches and athletes at the 1968 Olympic Games and served on the Mexico City Olympic Organizing Committee.

In 1969, he returned to El Paso. He organized the Job Corps program there in 1970 and had been its director ever since.

Survivors include his wife of 47 years, Marjorie Partin Carrasco of El Paso; a son, David Lee Carrasco of Boulder, Colo.; and a brother, Eliseo Carrasco of Kensington.


State Department Official

Andy H. Wallen, 79, a retired deputy director of the State Department's Office of Finance, died of a respiratory ailment Oct. 9 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Wallen began his government career in 1935 as an accountant with the Works Progress Administration. He later worked at the Office of Emergency Management. During World War II he served in the Navy.

In 1946 he joined the State Department's Office of Foreign Liquidation. He worked in the Office of the Budget before going to the Office of Finance in the mid-1960s. He retired in 1972.

Mr. Wallen was a part-time public speaking instructor with the Dale Carnegie Courses from the early 1950s to the early 1960s. He then began working part time with his own public speaking instruction business, The Public Speaking Course by Andy Wallen. He closed the business in the late 1980s.

Mr. Wallen was born in Phoebus, Va. He came to Washington in 1926 and was a graduate of Central High School. He received bachelor's and master's degrees in accounting from Benjamin Franklin University and a bachelor's degree in psychology from George Washington University.

He was a charter member of Memorial Baptist Church in Arlington, where he had been a deacon and treasurer. He was a member of the Theodore Roosevelt Masonic Lodge in Washington, the American Legion, the National Right-to-Life organization and the Arlington Rose Garden Foundation.

Mr. Wallen was a parachutist and a licensed pilot. He was a past chairman of the air activities club of the State Department-USIA Recreation Association.

His wife, Mamie Huneycutt Wallen, whom he married in 1937, died in 1982.

Survivors include a daughter, Louise Wallen Snuggs of Atlanta, and four grandchildren.


Riggs Bank Official

E. Wiley Stearns Jr., 85, a retired senior vice president and cashier at the main office of Riggs National Bank, died Oct. 15 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had heart and respiratory ailments.

Mr. Stearns, who lived in Culpeper, Va., was born in Richmond. He grew up in Arlington and graduated from the old Western High School in Washington. He attened the University of Virginia.

In 1929, he went to work for Riggs as a runner. He retired in 1969 and moved to Culpeper.

He was a vestryman at Emmanuel Episcopal Church.

Survivors include his wife of 59 years, Roberta Schneider Stearns of Culpeper; a daughter, Roberta Stearns Davis of Alexandria; a brother, Charles Rixey Stearns of Philadelphia; a sister, Lina Stearns Wygeant of Honolulu; and two grandchildren.


Art Director

Bunn Ray Yelverton Jr., 33, a senior art director at The Bomstein Agency, a Washington advertising firm, died of cancer Oct. 17 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Yelverton, who lived in Washington, was born in Pikeville, N.C. He graduated from East Carolina University and moved here in 1979. He joined The Bomstein Agency in 1980.

Survivors include his companion, Tony Appleby of Washington; his mother, Doris Vail Yelverton of Pikeville; his father, Bunn Ray Yelverton Sr. of Fremont, N.C.; two sisters, Beth Childre of Charlotte, N.C., and Myra Yelverton of Pikeville; a brother, Eric Yelverton of Pikeville; and his grandmother, Sally M. Vail, also of Pikeville.


Foreign Service Wife

Cornelia Clarke Chapin, 59, the wife of a retired Foreign Service officer and former ambassador, died of cancer Oct. 16 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Chapin was born in Philadelphia and grew up in New Brunswick, N.J. She graduated from Vassar College.

In 1952, she married Frederic Lincoln Chapin, a Foreign Service officer. He served as ambassador to Ethiopia, El Salvador and Guatemala. In addition to those appointments, she also accompanied him on other overseas assignments to Austria, Nicaragua, Chad and Brazil.

Her husband retired in 1988. He died in 1989.

Mrs. Chapin was a member of the Sulgrave Club and the Chevy Chase Club.

Survivors include four children, John Clarke Noyes Chapin of Durham, N.C., Anne Cornelia Chapin and Edith Clarke Chapin, both of New York City, and Grace Chapin Ruska of Atlanta; two brothers, Francis Mann Clarke Jr. of New Brunswick and John Clarke of Croton-On-Hudson, N.Y.; and a grandchild.


Systems Analyst

Chester Mansfield Fortune Jr., 75, a retired systems analyst at the Goddard Space Flight Center who also was a member of Turner Memorial A.M.E. Church in Washington, died of cancer Oct. 16 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Fortune was born in Baltimore. He attended Howard University and served in the Army in the Pacific in World War II.

He moved to Washington in 1952 and went to work for the General Accounting Office as a clerk. He later worked for the Central Intelligence Agency and what is now the U.S. Postal Service. In the early 1960s, he joined the National Aeronautics and Space Administration at Goddard, and he retired in 1973.

At his church, Mr. Fortune was a member of Missionary Society and active in the Boy Scouts and other organizations. He also was a past master of the Star in the East Masonic Lodge No. 1, adjutant of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post No. 9275 and a member of the legislative committee of Chapter No. 3130 of the American Association of Retired Persons.

His marriage to Cora Fortune ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife of 37 years, Mamie Rose Fortune, and their son, Scott L. Fortune, both of Washington; five daughters by his first marriage, Catherine M. Johnson, Constance M. Fortune and Wajeehah Mujahid, all of Camden, N.J., Carol Fortune of Philadelphia, and Christine F. Wade of Landover; two sons by his first marriage, Chester M. Fortune III of Adelphi and Wesley A. Fortune of Calloway, Fla.; a brother, Lloyd H. Fortune of Paducah, Ky.; 16 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.



Marguerite Whitten McClair Anderson, 96, a former president of the Salvation Army Auxiliary and Red Cross volunteer who as a younger woman had been an amateur airplane pilot, ballet dancer and ice skater, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 12 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Anderson was born and reared in New Haven, Conn. In 1916 she married William Moore, who died in 1920. In 1922 she married William Pope Anderson III. He died in 1941.

She moved to Washington in the early 1940s after having lived in Cincinnati and Indianapolis. During World War II she worked as a courier for the Office of Strategic Services.

Mrs. Anderson was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution and the Junior League.

A son from her first marriage, Army Air Forces Capt. Stanley Anderson, died in 1943 when his plane was shot down by German aircraft over the English Channel after he had flown more than 80 World War II combat missions. He had been adopted by Mrs. Anderson's second husband.

Army Lt. Vachel Anderson, a son from Mrs. Anderson's second marriage, died in September 1945 in a crash of an Army transport aircraft.

Survivors include a son from her second marriage, William Pope Anderson IV of Arlington, and a granddaughter.