Charles J. Timmes, 83, a retired Army major general and highly decorated airborne veteran of World War II who served as chief of the U.S. Military Assistance Advisory Group in Vietnam in the early 1960s, died Oct. 20 at his home in Falls Church after a heart attack.

Called to active duty in 1939, he served during World War II in elite Army airborne divisions. He jumped into Normandy during the D-Day invasion as a battalion commander in the 82nd Airborne Division's 507th Parachute Infantry regiment. For his actions there, he won the Distinguished Service Cross.

After the war, Gen. Timmes, a lawyer by training, became an Army Russian area specialist, held military advisory posts in Korea and Army staff intelligence posts in Washington. He also served as assistant commander of the 101st Airborne Division from 1959 to 1961. He then went to Vietnam, where he was stationed until June 1964. In addition to serving as MAAG chief, he also was the top deputy to Army Gen. Paul D. Harkins, the American commander in Vietnam.

During his years as an Army official in Vietnam, reports by the government and the media were mostly upbeat. Accounts focused on strides made by South Vietnamese forces with new, powerful American equipment, and the expertise and enthusiasm of the relatively small, though growing, American ground force.

Before retiring from active duty in 1967, Gen. Timmes had been assistant deputy Army chief of staff for personnel and programs director in the office of the deputy chief of staff for personnel. An authority in counterinsurgency, he served in Vietnam from 1967 to 1975 with the Central Intelligence Agency. Since retiring from the agency in 1975, he had worked as a lawyer with the Washington law firm of Altmann & Vitt.

In addition to the Distinguished Service Cross, his Army decorations included two Distinguished Service Medals, the Silver Star, two Bronze Stars and two Purple Hearts. He also wore the Combat Infantryman's Badge and Master Parachutist Wings.

Gen. Timmes was born in Innsbruck, Austria, where his father, an American physician, was doing advanced study. He came to this country at an early age and grew up in New York City. A 1928 graduate of Fordham University, he graduated from its law school in 1932 and spent the next seven years practicing law in New York before beginning his Army career.

After leading his battalion in the jump behind Utah Beach in Normandy, Gen. Timmes and his battalion were transferred to the 17th Airborne Division. With that division, he again led his battalion in Operation Varsity in March 1945. That combat jump across the Rhine was to assist the British 21st Army Group's crossing of the river barrier into the heart of Germany.

Gen. Timmes was a member of St. Anthony's Catholic Church in Falls Church, the Falls Church Kiwanis and the Military Order of the World Wars. He was honorary commander of the 507th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

After World War II, he engaged in Russian language and area studies at the Army's language school in Monterey, Calif., and at Columbia University. He also received a master's degree in political theory from Georgetown University and graduated from the Army's Command and Staff College and Strategic Intelligence School, as well as the Armed Forces Staff College and the National War College.

Survivors include his wife, Marie, of Falls Church; two sons, Dr. John Timmes of Phoenix and Army Col. Tom Timmes of Alexandria; a daughter, Mary Shanabruch of Annapolis; two brothers, Joseph, of Short Hills, N.J., and Ed, of Tampa; two sisters, Ann Hanlon and Mae Timmes, both of Manasquan, N.J.; and 16 grandchildren.


Air Force Times Editor

Edmond Noble Gates, 73, a retired editor-in-chief of the Air Force Times, died Oct. 16 in Falls Church at the Goodwin House-West retirement home, where he had lived since 1987. He had diabetes.

In the early 1950s, he joined the Air Force Times, a weekly journal covering the Air Force and its personnel that is published in Springfield. He became its managing editor in the late 1950s, then served as editor in chief from 1967 until retiring in 1972.

After that, he had been a contributing editor to several publications dealing with military affairs, including Air Force and Retired Officer magazines.

Mr. Gates, a former Arlington resident who came here in the early 1950s, was a native of Columbus, Ohio. He was a 1939 graduate of Miami University in Ohio. He worked for the Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co. before joining the Army Air Forces during World War II. He edited base newspapers during the war and was medically discharged as a captain in 1951 when it was discovered that he had diabetes.

His hobbies included tennis. A member of the Army Navy Country Club, he had represented it in local and regional tennis tournaments.

His wife, Emily, died in 1988. Survivors include two sons, Raymond A., of Carmichael, Calif., and Air Force Lt. Col. David N. Gates of Upper Marlboro; two brothers, James, of Hilton Head, S.C., and David, of Naples, Fla.; and three grandchildren.


Arlington Sheriff

Theodore William "Fritz" Frederick, 82, who served as sheriff of Arlington County from 1960 to 1963, died Oct. 21 at a hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., after a heart attack. He lived in St. Petersburg.

He began his law enforcement career with the Arlington County Police in 1939, becoming a sergeant before transferring to the Sheriff's Department in 1947. He served as a deputy sheriff, assistant jailer, jailer and chief deputy sheriff before becoming sheriff in October 1960.

He was appointed after the death of Sheriff Carl Taylor. Mr. Frederick, who did not run for election after completing Taylor's term, retired and moved to Florida in 1963.

Mr. Frederick, who lived in Arlington from 1935 to 1963, was a native of Rock Point, Md. He served with the Coast Guard in the Pacific during World War II. From 1935 to 1939, he had been a mechanic with the Arnold Bus Co. and an Arlington Buick dealership.

He had been active over the years in Democratic politics in Northern Virginia and was a member of the Virginia Sheriffs Association. He also had belonged to the Fairfax County Elks.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Agnes Bean, of St. Petersburg; and two sisters, Virginia Corro and Elizabeth Villanueva, both of Washington.


Boutique Owner

Regina Meany Mayer, 67, the former owner and operator of Hocus Pocus, a women's boutique in Bethesda, died of cancer Oct. 22 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Mayer was born in New York City. She graduated from the College of New Rochelle.

She moved to this area in 1945 with her father, George Meany, the labor leader who became president of the AFL-CIO. During the 1940s she was executive assistant to Sen. Howard McGrath (D-R.I.), on Capitol Hill and later when he became attorney general.

In the 1970s and 1980s she owned and operated Hocus Pocus, which also had a branch in Lake Placid, N.Y.

Mrs. Mayer was an enthusiastic golfer who played at Columbia Country Club and had participated in amateur tournaments around the country. She had served on the Ladies Board of Children's Hospital.

Survivors include her husband of 39 years, Robert C. Mayer of Bethesda; five children, Eileen C. Mayer of Chevy Chase, Robert C. Mayer Jr. of Scarborough, N.Y., Melissa Mayer Pflieger of St. Davids, Pa., Peter C. Mayer and Jeffrey E. Mayer, both of Bethesda; and three grandchildren.


Police Inspector

John J. Kinney Sr., 76, a retired D.C. police inspector, died of cancer Oct. 21 at Asbury Methodist Home in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Kinney was born in Rock Island, Ill. He moved to the Washington area in the late 1920s.

Before joining the police department in 1941, he owned and operated Rose's restaurant in Washington. In 1970 he retired from the police department as an inspector and commander of the third police district, which includes much of Northwest Washington north of L Street and east of Rock Creek Park.

He was a member of the Capitol Hill Lions Club.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Helen Barry Kinney of Gaithersburg; three children, JoAnn Wilson and John James Kinney Jr., both of Gaithersburg, and Robert Barry Kinney of Arnold, Md.; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.



Nancy Lee Canby, 58, a lifelong area resident and a graduate of the Mount Vernon Seminary High School in Washington, died Oct. 21 at Montgomery General Hospital after surgery for diverticulitis, an intestinal ailment.

Mrs. Canby, who lived in Sandy Spring, was born in Washington and grew up in Bethesda. She graduated from Northwestern University. From 1956 to 1958, she was an elementary school teacher with the Baltimore County public schools.

Survivors include her husband, Willam M. Canby of Sandy Spring; and two children, Nancy Lee Canby of Portland, Ore., and William D. Canby of Sandy Spring.