The obituary yesterday about Harris Hartwell Ball, 70, should have said he was a Foreign Service officer. The obituary also misreported where he moved after he retired. It was Palm Springs, Calif. The names of a daughter, Helen Eames, and a sister, Mary Kercheval, were misspelled. (Published 10/26/90)
Max Siler Wehrly, 85, a retired official of the Urban Land Institute and a former chairman of the National Capital Regional Planning Council and the Arlington County Planning Commission, died of cancer Oct. 17 at Fairfax Hospital.
Mr. Wehrly, a resident of Arlington, joined the Urban Land Institute, a private, nonprofit research organization in the field of planning and land economics, in 1946. He became executive director five years later and held that post until 1968, when he retired and became a consultant. He also edited the institute's publication, Urban Land.
Over the years he played a role in planning such landmarks in the Washington area as the George Washington Parkway, and he helped establish regional policies concerning land use and the development of commercial and residential areas and the infrastructure to support them, including water supplies, sewerage, highways and parking.
He lectured widely in his field, and he published more than 50 papers in professional journals and edited many more. In 1965, he received the Distinguished Service award of the American Institute of Planners.
Mr. Wehrly was a member of the Arlington County Planning Commission, which makes recommendations on zoning applications, from 1946 to 1956, and he was chairman in 1951. He was on the National Capital Regional Planning Council from 1953 to 1961 and served as chairman from 1955 to 1956. The commission, which was discontinued in 1962, was set up in 1952 to work with the National Capital Planning Commission, the federal government's planning agency in the Washington area.
He also served on the Northern Virginia Planning and Economic Development Commission, a state agency that is now the Northern Virginia Planning District Commission.
In addition, he was a member of the building research advisory board of the National Academy of Sciences, the housing advisory committee of the Census Bureau and various committees of other government agencies whose work involves urban development, housing and similar matters.
Mr. Wehrly was born in West Manchester, Ohio. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania and received a master's degree in urban planning from Harvard University.
He moved to the Washington area in 1935. In 1937, he went to work at the Interior Department and was assigned to the National Capital Park and Planning Commission, the predecessor of the National Capital Planning Commission. He remained there until he joined the Urban Land Institute.
Mr. Wehrly was a member of the board of governors of the American Institute of Planners and a past president of the Washington chapter of Lambda Alpha, an honorary land economics fraternity. He also was a member emeritus of the Cosmos Club.
His wife of 56 years, Maxine Cox Wehrly, died in 1989.
Survivors include two children, E. Jean Balcom of McLean and David Siler Wehrly of Montrose, Pa.; three granddaughters; and a great-granddaughter.
FRANCES K. HUNT
Frances K. Hunt, 82, a retired assistant to the chief of information of the Bureau of Medical Services of the Public Health Service, died of heart ailments Oct. 20 at her home in Arlington.
Miss Hunt was born in St. Paul, Minn., and moved to Tulsa at the age of 12. She graduated from the University of Oklahoma and received a master's degree in journalism at the University of Missouri. From 1936 to 1941, she taught journalism at the University of Oklahoma.
She came here in 1941 to work in the information division of the Farmers Home Administration. In 1954, she became assistant to the chief of information at the Bureau of Medical Services of the Public Health Service and worked there until retiring in 1971.
Miss Hunt was a past president of the women's journalism organization, Theta Sigma Phi, and a member of the National Press Club and the Oklahoma State Society.
There are no immediate survivors.
Jessie Mullins, 84, a retired administrator at George Washington University, died of lung cancer Oct. 19 at her home in Lorton.
Mrs. Mullins was born in Red Lake Falls, Minn. She moved to the Washington area during World War II and worked initially in the financial department of the Washington Evening Star newspaper.
Later she graduated from George Washington University and received a master's degree there in personnel administration. Subsequently she worked 18 years as an administrator at GWU before retiring in 1970 as director of off-campus courses at the College of General Studies.
Mrs. Mullins was a founder of the Lorton Community Action Center, an organization that provides emergency services to families and individuals in need. She was a board member and former president of the Adult Education Association of Greater Washington and a 10-year member of the Fairfax County Library Board.
She had been active in the Democratic Party in Fairfax.
Her husband, George Gordon Mullins, died in 1971.
Survivors include a daughter, Carol Mullins of New York City; and two brothers, Clifford Higinbotham of Santa Rosa, Calif., and Bruce Higinbotham of Red Lake Falls.
HARRIS HARTWELL BALL
Foreign Service Management Specialist
Harris Hartwell Ball, 70, a retired State Department management specialist who later worked at the World Bank, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Oct. 22 at George Washington University Hospital.
Mr. Ball, who lived in Bethesda, was a native of Texas. He graduated from George Washington University, where he also received a master's degree in business administration.
He joined the State Department during World War II and served as a clerk in Paraguay and later Colombia. After the war, he became a diplomatic courier and had overseas assignments in China, Egypt and France.
In 1953, Mr. Ball became a Foreign Service management specialist and had overseas assignments in Italy, Greece and Burma. In the early 1970s, he served as executive officer of the State Department's Medical Services Branch.
He retired in 1976 and moved to Florida. In 1977, he went to Saudi Arabia as a management specialist with Siyanco, a construction company. He returned here in 1979 and a year later went to work at the World Bank. He retired a second time in 1982 and was a consultant there until 1985.
Mr. Ball was a member of St. Francis Episcopal Church in Potomac.
Survivors include his wife, Helen Ball of Bethesda; four children, Harris H. Ball III of Bethesda, Samuel C. Ball of Minneapolis, Helen Eanes of New Orleans and Anne Ball of Arlington; a sister, Mary Kerchezal of Houston; and two grandchildren.
WILLIAM GREENOUGH II
William Greenough II, 71, a retired co-owner and operator of The Overseas Travel Agency in Washington, died Oct. 22 at Georgetown University Hospital. He had diabetes.
Mr. Greenough, who lived in Washington, was born to American parents in Paris. He spent his early childhood in Europe and moved to Boston as a teenager. He attended Harvard University.
During World War II, he served as an Army Air Forces bombardier in Europe. In December 1944, he was shot down over Germany, and he remained a prisoner of war until the war ended.
His military decorations included the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Purple Heart.
After the war, he came to Washington. About 1950, he became co-owner of The Overseas Travel Agency. He retired for health reasons in 1970.
Mr. Greenough was a member of St. John's Episcopal Church, Lafayette Square, and a board member of the St. John's Development Center in Washington, a mental health facility. He was a member of the Metropolitan Club and the Chevy Chase Club.
His marriage to Virginia Greenleaf Greenough ended in divorce.
Survivors include his wife of 28 years, Patricia R. Greenough of Washington; a son from his first marriage, William G. Greenough of Crozet, Va.; and a stepdaughter, Geraldine Boswell of Rockville.
SISTER MARY ANN JUSTIZ
Community Social Worker
Sister Mary Ann Justiz, 67, a member of the Catholic Order of the Sisters of Providence who had been a community social worker and organizer with the D.C. public schools from 1974 to 1987, died of cancer Oct. 18 at her order's mother house in Baltimore.
For her work with Hispanic families for the D.C. schools, she had received awards from the Red Cross, Capital Head Start, the Latin American Youth Center in Washington, and the Hispanic Heritage Committee here.
Sister Mary Ann graduated from college in her native Cuba before coming to this country and Baltimore in 1958. She took her final vows as a nun in 1966 and taught at oblate schools in Missouri and Alabama before coming here in 1968.
In addition to her work with the D.C. schools, she received a master's degree in adult education at the old Federal City College and taught at her order's oblate school here. From 1968 to 1974, she had taught at the Holy Comforter parish school in Washington.
She leaves no immediate survivors.
Harold Manning, 71, a retired Labor Department space analyst, died Oct. 22 at Royal Haven Rest Home in Front Royal of complications after a stroke.
He retired from the Labor Department in 1980 after 41 years of federal service. As a space analyst, he helped survey and design office space needs. He had worked for the Military Sea Transportation Service, the General Services Administration and the Department of Health, Education and Welfare before joining the staff of the Labor Department in 1970.
Mr. Manning, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Mount Holly, N.J. He moved to the Washington area in 1930 and attended Western High School. During World War II he served in the Army Air Forces.
He was a Mason and a former vestryman at the Episcopal Falls Church.
Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Florine Merriman Manning of Falls Church; two children, Julia Manning Smith of Papillian, Neb., and the Rev. David Lee Manning of Arlington; and two grandchildren.