The obituary of Anne Baron Manville yesterday misreported her position on the staff of Sen. Alan J. Dixon (D-Ill.). She was director of legislative correspondence. (Published 10/27/90)

Joseph E. Johnson, 84, president emeritus of the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and a former special United Nations representative and State Department official, died of pneumonia Oct. 24 at Virginia Baptist Hospital in Lynchburg, Va.

A former professor of history at Williams College in Williamstown, Mass., Mr. Johnson was an authority on the workings of international organizations, and his career was devoted to the peaceful solution of international problems through cooperation. He had much hands-on experience in this field. In the early 1960s, as a U.N. envoy, he conducted an exhaustive study of the Palestinian refugee problem in the Middle East.

During World War II, Mr. Johnson worked for the State Department in Washington, where he became chief of the international affairs division. In that capacity he attended the 1944 Dumbarton Oaks conference that decided on the basic structure of the United Nations, and the San Francisco conference in 1945 at which the world body came into being.

In 1946, he was an adviser to U.S. delegations to the first U.N. General Assembly at Lake Success, N.Y., and to the U.S. representative at meetings of the Security Council in London.

In 1947, he served briefly on the State Department Policy Planning Staff and then returned to teaching at Williams. Over the years he was a consultant to many other conferences. In 1969, he was an alternate U.S. delegate to the United Nations General Assembly.

In 1950, Mr. Johnson was named president of the Carnegie Foundation for International Peace. Founded in 1910 by steel magnate Andrew Carnegie with a $10 million endowment, the organization sponsors research and education programs in the field of international affairs. It is now located in Washington, but during Mr. Johnson's tenure, it built a headquarters near the United Nations in New York. Mr. Johnson became the foundation's president emeritus in 1971.

In 1961, the United Nations Conciliation Commission for Palestine, which consisted of the United States, Turkey and France, named him a special envoy "to explore with the host governments and with Israel practical means of seeking progress" on the Palestinian refugee problem that had existed since the Arab-Israeli war in 1948.

After more than a year of travel and study in the region, Mr. Johnson filed a report whose recommendations included appointment of a new U.N. administrator to carry out long-existing U.N. directives that refugees displaced by the 1948 war be allowed to return to their former homes in Israel unless they posed security risks. The proposal failed because of the basic Arab-Israeli dispute that continues today.

Mr. Johnson was born in Longdale, Va., and grew up in Scarsdale, N.Y. He graduated from Harvard University, where he also received master's and doctoral degrees. He taught at Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine, in 1934 and 1935, and joined the faculty at Williams College in 1936. He became a full professor in 1947 and taught there until joining the Carnegie Foundation.

Mr. Johnson had lived in Princeton, N.J., before moving to Lynchburg in 1986.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine Abbot Johnson, whom he married in 1930, of Lynchburg; two children, William R.A. Johnson of Lynchburg and Anne Johnson Stone of Washington; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Church Pastor

The Rev. James M. Ray, 75, a retired pastor of Palisades Community Church in Washington, died of lung and kidney failure Oct. 24 at Arlington Hospital.

Mr. Ray, who lived in Vienna, was born in Cave City, Ky. He graduated from Georgetown College in Kentucky and studied theology at Southern Baptist Seminary in Louisville and Union Theological Seminary in New York.

He served Baptist congregations in Kentucky and Indiana, then in 1947 moved to Raleigh, N.C., where he took a staff position with the Baptist Student Union. Later he founded a Baptist church in Raleigh and served as its pastor.

In 1959, he received a master's degree in theology and pastoral counseling at Southern Baptist Seminary after having studied there and at Union Theological Seminary.

He was a hospital chaplain in Raleigh and pastor of community churches in New Jersey and Missouri before moving to Washington in 1970 to be pastor of Palisades Community Church. He retired from there in 1975.

Since then he had been active in a lay capacity at St. Luke's United Methodist Church in Falls Church, where he was chairman of the administrative board. He also had been a teacher in adult religious education at Dulin United Methodist Church in Falls Church.

His marriage to Helen N. Ray ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Eleanor Ray of Vienna; a son from his first marriage, Samuel Ray of Denville, N.J.; and two grandsons.


Registered Nurse

Marjorie J. Schramm, 61, a registered nurse and the wife of a retired Army officer, died of cancer Oct. 12 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mrs. Schramm, a resident of Bowie, was born in Williamsburg, Pa. She graduated from the School of Nursing of the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia in 1950.

She practiced nursing in Philadelphia and at West Virginia University and Fort Crowder, Mo. In 1952, she married David C. Schramm, an Army officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel. She accompanied him to various Army posts in this country and Japan before settling in the Washington area in 1973.

Mrs. Schramm was a member of Trinity Episcopal Church in Bowie, the Bowie-Crofton Citizens Band Club and the Order of the Eastern Star.

In addition to her husband, of Bowie, survivors include four children, Marjorielu S. McManus of Pittsburgh, David C. Schramm II of Coal Valley, Ill., and Michael F. and K. Eric Schramm, both of Germantown; her mother, Meda S. Whiteleather, and a sister, Connie W. Skvir, both of Delran, N.J.; and two granddaughters.


Police Officer

Raymond L. Roberson, 68, a former Washington police officer who later worked as a sales clerk in a hardware store, died of liver cancer Oct. 18 at a hospice in Seaside, Calif.

Mr. Roberson was born in Norfolk and moved to Washington as a child.

He served in the Navy during World War II.

He was a D.C. police officer for 18 years before leaving the department in the mid-1960s. He then worked as a hardware store clerk in Washington until around 1980.

He was a Mason and a member of the Eastern Star.

A resident of Rockville, Mr. Roberson had been cared for by a sister in California since May.

His wife, Doris Jean Roberson, died in 1977.

Survivors include three children, Richard L. Roberson of Sunset, Fla., Robin Kinskey of Kennesaw, Ga., and June Kretzing of Rockville; a sister, Vivian Polland of Seaside; a brother, James Roberson of Fort Walton Beach, Fla.; three half-brothers, Runice Roberson of Concord, N.C., Marshall Roberson of Westerly, R.I., and Edgar Roberson of Granite Falls, N.C.; and a grandchild.


Office Manager

Gertrude Tack Bridges, 90, a retired office manager at the Navy Department's Bureau of Yards and Docks, died of cancer Oct. 23 at her home in Chantilly.

Mrs. Bridges was a native of Sodus, N.Y. She came to the Washington area in 1918 and served during World War I as a Navy yeomanette.

In 1941, she went to work at the Bureau of Yards and Docks. She retired in 1959.

Mrs. Bridges was a member of Pleasant Valley United Methodist Church in Chantilly, the United Methodist Women and Baracca Chapter No. 12 of the Order of the Eastern Star.

Her husband, Oscar C. Bridges, died in 1953.

Survivors include five children, Robert O. Bridges of Washington, Va., and Charles A. Bridges, William E. Bridges, John W. Bridges and Jane B. Jackson, all of Chantilly; 15 grandchildren; and 23 great-grandchildren.


State Department Official

Arie Meyers Weir, 77, a retired State Department purchasing official, died Oct. 19 at Twin Cities Community Hospital in Templeton, Calif. She had diabetes.

Mrs. Weir, a former resident of Bethesda, was born in Beaufort, S.C. She grew up in Washington and graduated from Dunbar High School. As a young woman, she worked for a jewelry store in Washington. During World War II, she lived in California and worked in the aircraft industry.

She returned here after the war and worked at the State Department from 1950 until 1969, when she retired. She moved to California permanently the following year and settled in San Luis Obispo.

Her husband, Charles E. Weir, whom she married in 1932, died in 1987.

Survivors include a son, Charles E. Weir Jr. of Long Beach, Calif.; three sisters, Ethel M. Williams and Esther M. Gray, both of Washington, and Jewel M. Weir of Santa Ynez, Calif.; and three brothers, Malcolm B. Meyers of Washington, Eugene E. Meyers of Silver Spring and Nathaniel W. Meyers of Palm Coast, Fla.



Anne Baron Manville, 52, a secretary on the staff of Sen. Alan J. Dixon (D-Ill.), died of cancer Oct. 23 at Georgetown University Hospital. She lived in Washington.

Mrs. Manville was born in Annapolis. The daughter of a naval officer, she lived in China, the Philippines and Wellesley, Mass., before settling in Washington as a teenager. She graduated from Western High School.

In 1974, she went to work as a secretary at the National Presbyterian School in Washington. She joined Sen. Dixon's staff in 1985.

Survivors include her husband of 32 years, Bill Manville of Washington; four children, Geoffrey and Anna Manville, both of Washington, and Richard and Nicholas Manville, both of New York City; and two sisters, Gerald Dixon of Hastings-On-Hudson, N.Y., and Mary Louise "Peter" Wilson of White Plains, N.Y.


State Department Official

Ralph A. Casperino, 54, an assistant administrative officer at the State Department's Office of Medical Services, died of cancer Oct. 23 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mr. Casperino, who lived in Arlington, was born in Harrisburg, Pa. He served in the Army from 1958 to about 1960, when he came to the Washington area to work at the State Department as a computer specialist.

In 1967, he went to the Foreign Service and had overseas assignments in Vietnam as a computer specialist. He had later assignments in Zaire and New Zealand. He had been at the Office of Medical Services since about 1983.

Survivors include his wife, Ada Casperino, and a son, Marc Casperino, both of Arlington; his father, Anthony Casperino of Pittsburgh; and a sister, Nina Pearl of Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.