Antheny Alexander Barile, 77, a retired plans and policy division director of the Military Sealift Command who was public works director of Takoma Park from 1969 to 1979, died of cancer Oct. 11 at his home in Takoma Park. He had lived in Takoma Park since 1947.

He began his government career with the War Department in the late 1920s. He was a civilian statistician with the Army Engineers before joining the Sealift Command as a plans officer in 1950. He retired in 1969.

Mr. Barile, who was a graduate of American University, was born in West Virginia and came here about 1930. He served with the Army in Europe and the Mediterranean Theater during World War II, then served in the Navy reserves until retiring as a lieutenant commander in the mid-1970s.

Survivors include his wife, the former Ethel Theresa Meyers, whom he married in 1947, and a daughter, Patricia A. Jean Barile, both of Takoma Park; a brother, Roland, of Chicago; and three sisters, Julia Mazzie of Oregon, Virginia Rudolph of Roanoke, and Mary Warner of Petersburg, Va.


HEW Official

Charles Sanford White, 79, who worked at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and its predecessor agencies for 30 years until he retired in 1971 as the executive officer at HEW's Assistance Payments Administration, died of pneumonia Oct. 22 at a hospital in Santa Barbara, Calif.

Mr. White, who lived in Santa Barbara, was born in Niagara Falls, N.Y. He graduated from the University of Michigan and its law school and received a bachelor's degree in social work from Columbia University.

He came to the Washington area and began his government career in 1941. During World War II, he served in the Army.

He was a member of the Mount Vernon Unitarian Church. In 1973, he moved from Fairfax to Santa Barbara.

Survivors include his wife, Rosemary T. White of Santa Barbara; three children, Judith Marcellini of Arlington, Carl White of Cambridge, Mass., and Nora Means of La Paz, Mexico; a brother, George Harrison of Niagara Falls, and six grandchildren.



Richard Hazen Huber, 38, a first vice president at Shearson Lehman Hutton Inc., in Kansas City, Mo., who had worked for Washington investment firms from 1971 to 1986, died Oct. 24 at at his home in Kansas City. He had AIDS.

Mr. Huber was a native of Michigan and attended the University of Michigan. He came to Washington in 1971 as an operations clerk at Folger Nolan Fleming Douglas Inc. After working at Sade & Co. and Johnston, Lemon, he went to what was then E.F. Hutton Inc. in 1984 as an operations manager.

In 1986, he transferred to Atlanta for Hutton. He transferred to Kansas City in 1989.

His marriage to Nancy Huber ended in divorce.

Survivors include his mother, Eleanor Huber of Winter Haven, Fla.; a brother, Nick Huber of Clio, Mich., four sisters, Connie Reed of Birch Run, Mich., Sharon Green of Watertown, Tenn., Veva Hillier of Columbiaville, Mich., and Cindy Huber of Orlando, Fla, and a stepsister, Sue Klenk of Sterling, Mich.


Legal Secretary

Gene R. Johnson, 47, a secretary with the law firm of Donovan, Leisure, Rogovin, Huge & Schiller, died Oct. 24 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Johnson was born in Georgetown, S.C. He attended Hunter College in New York.

He moved to Washington in 1973 and went to work as a administrative and legal secretary to the deputy director of the Food and Research Action Center, a public interest law firm and lobbying organization. He stayed there until 1980, when he went to work for what is now Donovan, Leisure, Rogovin, Huge & Schiller.

Survivors include his mother, Susan Johnson; two sisters, Barbara Singleton and Wilah Gudson; and four brothers, David, Julius, Myron and Michael Johnson, all of Georgetown.


UPS Employee

Agnes P. James, 56, an employee of United Parcel Service, died of cancer Oct. 25 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. James, who lived in Arlington, was born in Haugen, Wis. Before moving to the Washington area in 1968 she was a stewardess with Overseas National Airlines, based in New York.

She worked for UPS from 1979 to 1989. Her duties involved the routing of packages.

Survivors include her husband, Jack M. James of Arlington; six children, Mark and Scott James, both of Fairfax, Brent James of Virginia Beach, Sharon Foley of Newport News, Jacqueline James, a student at St. John's College in Annapolis, and Luke James, a midshipman at the Naval Academy; her mother, Beatrix Pakosta of Haugen, seven brothers, two sisters and three grandchildren.


Dress Shop Owner

Selma F. Freedman, 86, the retired owner of Selma's, a dress shop on Connecticut Avenue NW in Washington, died of pneumonia Oct. 24 at the Fernwood nursing home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Freedman, a former resident of Washington, was born in Glen Burnie. She moved here about 1930. She opened Selma's at that time and ran the business until 1970, when she retired.

Her husband, Cy Freedman, died in 1982.

Survivors include a daughter, Janice W. Goldsten of Washington; a sister, Ruth Hershkowitz of Gaithersburg; two grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


Printer's Assistant

Charles E. Miles, 82, a former printer's assistant at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, died of a heart attack Oct. 21 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Miles was born in Washington. He graduated from Dunbar High School and Howard University. During World War II he served in the Army.

He worked as a printer's assistant at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing until the late 1950s, when he moved to New York. There he worked for Friendship Press and Union Carbide. He returned to Washington upon retirement in 1974.

In retirement he had been a docent at Hillwood Museum.

He was president of the alumni association of the Dunbar High School class of 1925. There are no immediate survivors.


Library Assistant

Marie McNeese Youngblood, 71, a retired Arlington library assistant, died of cancer Oct. 24 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia.

Mrs. Youngblood, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Washington. She graduated from Western High School and George Washington University, where she was a member of Phi Beta Kappa.

She was an Arlington library assistant from 1958 to 1978. Later she did volunteer work for Meals on Wheels.

She was a member of St. Mary's Catholic church in Alexandria and the Old Town Walled Garden Club.

Survivors include her husband of 50 years, Fred Youngblood of Alexandria; three children, Laura Meagher of Alexandria, John Youngblood of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Sister Clevie Youngblood of the Bronx, N.Y., a member of the Religious of the Sacred Heart of Mary, and two sisters, Laura Bishop of Falls Church and Susan Vorder Bruegge of Memphis.


Pepco Nurse

Catharine Akers Krahnke, 77, a nurse who had worked 20 years for Potomac Electric Power Co. before retiring in 1977, died of Parkinson's disease Oct. 25 at Hillhaven Nursing Center in Adelphi.

Mrs. Krahnke, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Frederick, Md. She came to Washington as a young woman and graduated from the nursing school at Garfield Memorial Hospital. Later she was a nurse for seven years at the Woodward & Lothrop department store.

She was a charter member of Pilgrim Lutheran Church in Bethesda.

Her husband, Wilson N. Krahnke, died in 1955.

Survivors include two children, Wilson N. Krahnke of Chevy Chase and Karla K. Goodridge of Silver Spring; and six grandchildren.


Electrical Engineer

Ralph Salvage Bassett, 82, a retired electrical engineer who had worked at Vitro Laboratories in Silver Spring and for the Army Signal Corps, died of a cerebral aneurysm Oct. 25 at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, Va.

Mr. Bassett was born in Chicago and attended the University of Chicago. He worked for the Army Signal Corps in Chicago before moving to the Washington area in 1941.

He was a civilian employee of the Army Signal Corps during World War II. After war he taught at Capital Radio Engineering Institute here until 1951, when he began working at Vitro Laboratories. He retired from Vitro in 1973.

In 1973 he moved from Silver Spring to Middletown, Va. He moved from there to Harrisonburg in August of 1989.

His first wife, Vernal Walston Bassett, died in 1960. Survivors include his wife of 29 years, Amy Stauffer Bassett of Harrisonburg, and their son, Daniel Ralph Bassett of Port Republic, Va.; four children by his first marriage, Linda Bassett Schaye of Chicago, David W. Bassett of Lagunitas, Calif., James Walter Bassett of Winchester, Va., and Everett John Bassett of Tempe, Ariz.; and six grandchildren.


Editorial Assistant

Betty H. Pugliese, 71, an editorial assistant at the American Psychological Association from 1968 until she retired in 1988, died of cancer Oct. 25 at her home in Adelphi.

Mrs. Pugliese was born in Dayton, Ohio. She attended Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, and graduated from the University of Maryland. She moved to the Washington area in 1947.

Survivors include her husband, Dr. Rudolph E. Pugliese, a professor emeritus of drama at the University of Maryland, of Adelphi; a son, Gregory H. Pugliese of Greenbelt; a sister, Marian H. Campbell of Dayton, and two grandchildren.