Thomas W. Wilson III, 51, the senior planner for Prince George's County on the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission, died of cancer Oct. 26 at his home in Greenbelt.

Mr. Wilson joined the park and planning commission in 1970. The agency draws up land-use and development plans, runs various parks and reviews applications for rezoning in Montgomery and Prince George's County.

Projects on which Mr. Wilson worked over the years included the planning of Capital Centre in Landover and the Port America development on the Potomac River below the Woodrow Wilson Bridge. Mr. Wilson also was the Prince George's representative on the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments.

Mr. Wilson, who was a native of Washington, attended the Sorbonne in Paris and graduated from Georgetown University. He received a master's degree in urban planning at Howard University. He served in the Army from 1963 to 1965 and was stationed in Vietnam.

From 1966 until he joined the planning commission, he worked in the information division of the Agency for International Development.

Mr. Wilson was a board member of the National Capital Chapter of the American Planning Association and director of the association's regional conference in 1988.

His marriage to Anne Miller Wilson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Margaret Blake Wilson of Greenbelt; a stepson, Alexander Kranz of Greenbelt; his father and stepmother, Thomas W. Wilson Jr. and Page H. Wilson, both of Washington; two sisters, Sally Wilson Hall of Reston and Remington Restivo of Arlington; two stepsisters, Ariel Dougherty of East Hampton, N.Y., and Page D. Delano of New York City; and two stepbrothers, Frazer P. Dougherty of Greenport, N.Y., and Rush H. Dougherty of New York City.


VA Lawyer

Paul Connole, 75, a retired lawyer with what is now the Department of Veterans Affairs, died of an aneurysm Oct. 26 at his home in Alexandria.

Mr. Connole was born in Medicine Lake, Mont. He graduated from the University of Montana, where he also received a law degree. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.

After the war, he practiced law in Montana until about 1950, when he joined the Veterans Administration in Seattle. He transferred here in the early 1950s and retired in the early 1980s. He then resumed a private law practice until retiring about 1985.

Mr. Connole was a member of Belle Haven Country Club.

His wife, the former Nona Earlscourt, died in 1980. Survivors include five daughters, Madeleine C. McCain of Alexandria, Sheila K. Connole of Woodbridge, Renee C. Strunk of Dale City, Michelle A. Connole of Pepperell, Mass., and Margot Connole-Schumacher of Long Beach, Calif., and two grandchildren.



Ruth Pratt Ewing, 68, a volunteer with the Fairfax Symphony and the Smithsonian Institution's National Museum of Natural History, died of cancer Oct. 26 at her home in Springfield.

She was born in Pueblo, Colo., and graduated from the University of Denver. During World War II, while serving in the American Red Cross in Europe, she met and married James W. Ewing, an Army officer who eventually retired as a colonel. She accompanied him to various military posts in this country and in Germany, England and Italy before settling in the Washington area in 1969.

Mrs. Ewing was a member of St. Bernadette's Catholic Church in Springfield.

In addition to her husband, of Springfield, survivors include two children, Elizabeth Tebow of Silver Spring and James W. Ewing Jr. of Heidelberg, Germany; her mother, Ruth Pratt, and a brother, Earl Pratt, both of Detroit; a sister, Betty Potter of Orlando, Fla.; and three grandchildren.