Edward William Knowles, 66, a retired official of the Central Intelligence Agency who specialized in European affairs and operations, died of heart disease Oct. 25 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Knowles served 27 years with the CIA before retiring in 1977 from the Directorate of Operations. He had served two tours of duty in Germany, from 1951 to 1953 and from 1963 to 1968.

A resident of Arlington, he was born and raised in Brockton, Mass. He served in the Army in England, France and Belgium during World War II, then immediately after the war worked as a cryptographer at the U.S. Embassy in Paris.

He returned to the United States and attended the University of Massachusetts. In the late 1940s he moved to Washington and graduated from George Washington University before joining the CIA. He had done postgraduate study in French, German, economics and history at the University of Maryland and American University.

A former resident of Bethesda, Mr. Knowles had been president of the social action committee and a Sunday school teacher at Cedar Lane Unitarian Church.

He had done legislative work on behalf of the Association for Retarded Citizens and been a volunteer at the National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. He had served on the executive board of the Waycroft-Woodlawn Civic Association and as a delegate to the Arlington County Civic Federation. He was a member of Arlingtonians for a Better County and a past president of the Northern Virginia Democratic Club, and had worked in Democratic political campaigns at the local and state levels.

He was an amateur photographer.

His marriages to Virginia Perin Knowles and Katherine Seward ended in divorce.

Survivors include three children by his first marriage, Kathryn V. Knowles of Alexandria, Edward C. Knowles of Arlington and Jeffrey P. Knowles of Tucson; a daughter by his second marriage, Mary S. Knowles of New York City; and three stepchildren, Robert J. Barnes Jr. of Flossmoor, Ill., Joanne L. Barnes of Fairbanks, Alaska, and Edward S. Barnes of Plandome Manor, N.Y.


Consulting Engineer

Raymond J. Hodge, 68, a consulting engineer who was a retired senior partner and head of the Washington offices of Tippetts-Abbett-McCarthy-Stratton (TAMS) engineering company, died Oct. 27 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He had rheumatoid arthritis.

Mr. Hodge joined TAMS in New York City as a project engineer in 1953. He later worked for the company in the Far East and Latin America. In 1968, he became a partner in the firm and was sent to Dallas. He came here and was named head of the Washington office in 1974. He retired in 1987.

During his years with TAMS, he worked extensively on airport construction projects, including direction of the planning and design of airports in Amman, Jordan; Lisbon; Seoul; and Bangkok. He managed the planning and design and supervised construction of the Dallas/Fort Worth airport.

As head of the Washington office, he supervised his company's work for the Pennsylvania Avenue Development Corporation and renovation work at Union Station. He also was involved in work on Metro's subway system.

Mr. Hodge, who lived in Potomac, was a native of New York City and a 1944 graduate of Manhattan College. He received a master's degree in civil engineering at Cornell University. He served with the Navy in the Southwest Pacific during World War II and was recalled to active duty during the Korean conflict. He retired from the reserves as a lieutenant commander in 1959. Before joining TAMS, he did work as a civilian for the Office of Naval Research.

He was the recipient of the American Society of Civil Engineers' James Laurie Prize. He had been chairman of the International Engineering and Construction Industries Council and was a member of the Tau Beta Pi and Chi Epsilon engineering honor societies. He also was a member of the National Academy of Engineering, the Military Order of the Carabao, Congressional Country Club and Our Lady of Mercy Catholic Church in Potomac.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Lorraine, and two daughters, Susan and Patricia Hodge, all of Potomac; two sons, Christopher, of Bethesda, and Raymond, of Washington; a brother, Christopher, of Arizona; a sister, Lucille De Bellis of Hartsdale, N.Y.; and two grandchildren.



Ellen B. Payne, 71, a real estate sales agent who previously had been headmistress of St. Andrew's Episcopal School in Arlington, died of lung cancer Oct. 28 at Arlington Hospital.

Mrs. Payne, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Toms Brook, Va. She graduated from Madison State Teachers College and taught in Shenandoah County before moving to the Washington area in 1949. She was headmistress of St. Andrews School from 1950 to 1970. Since then she had been a real estate sales agent with Coldwell Banker in Arlington.

She was a former president of the Northern Virginia Private School Teachers Association and Metro-Mixers, a social group. She was a member of Post Cana, an organization of widows and widowers.

Her first husband, Bernard Albin Payne Jr., died in 1979. Survivors include her husband, Fred Fernald of Falls Church; two children by her first marriage, Thomas Howie Payne of McLean and Elizabeth Payne Smith of Alexandria; a sister, Mary B. Snapp of Edinburg, Va.; and six grandchildren.


VA Systems Analyst

John J. Dashner, 71, a retired systems analyst with the old Veterans Administration who was a member of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Silver Spring, died Oct. 27 at Holy Cross Hospital after surgery for a circulatory ailment.

Mr. Dashner, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Missouri and attended the University of Missouri. After serving in the Army in Europe during World War II, he joined the VA. He worked in St. Louis and Philadelphia before transferring here in 1957. He retired in 1977.

Survivors include his wife, Ellen Cone Dashner of Silver Spring; three sons, Ralph, of College Park, and John Andrew and Samuel Dashner, both of Silver Spring; a daughter, Sarah D. Miller of St. Louis; a sister, Barbara Wohlers of Lacey, Wash.; and a grandchild.


Retired Salesman

John Alexander D. Portner, 74, a retired real estate salesman who also had been an architect and import-export executive, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 26 at his home in Washington.

From 1952 to 1960, he was an architect and served as president of two Washington firms that imported and exported electronics, Technical Resources and International Technical Products. From 1972 to 1981, he sold real estate for several firms. These included Hugh T. Peck, Shannon & Luchs and Routh Robbins, all in Bethesda.

Mr. Portner was a native of Washington. He attended George Washington and Harvard universities.

He was a 45-year member of the Chevy Chase Club and had served on the board of St. John's Child Development Center in Washington. He also was a member of Annunciation Catholic Church.

Survivors include his wife, Erveane Massey Portner of Washington; two sons, Charles R., of Norfolk, and John Jr., of Washington; three daughters, Mary Anna Portner of Washington, and Margaret P. Johnston and Shelly P. Murray, both of Bethesda; two adopted sons, Gary P. Allen of Alexandria and Kevin S. Allen of Los Angeles; and 13 grandchildren.


Gaithersburg Postmaster

Maurice Anderson Spalding, 74, the postmaster in Gaithersburg for 10 years before retiring in 1966, died of a pneumonia Oct. 29 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mr. Spalding, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Kentucky. He served in the Navy from 1935 to 1939.

After working as a guard at the Smithsonian Institution for a year, he joined what was then the Post Office Department in 1940 as a clerk at the main post office in Washington. He was a special delivery clerk there when he was appointed postmaster in Gaithersburg.

Mr. Spalding had been a Republican Party precinct chairman, a chapter president of the National Association for Retired Employees, a life member of Grace United Methodist Church and a member of the Pentalpha Masonic Lodge, all in Gaithersburg. He was a 32nd-degree Mason and a member of the Scotish Rite, the Alighan Shrine in Cumberland and the American Association of Retired Persons.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Esther V. Spalding of Silver Spring; four children, Paul G. Spalding and Gregory W. Spalding, both of Damascus, and Garland D. Spalding and Catherine M. Loop, both of Gaithersburg; two brothers, Edwin G. Spalding of Lexington, Ky., and Garland J. Spalding of Louisville; two sisters, Florence C. Stafford of Louisville and Louise Chesson of Mansfield, Ohio; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.