Peter Xenakes, 52, a senior administrator and security specialist with the Federal Aviation Administration's Office of Civil Aviation Security, died Oct. 28 at his home in Alexandria after a heart attack.

Mr. Xenakes had worked for the FAA since 1985, and at his death was negotiating the development of airline antiterrorist programs for Middle Eastern nations. He had received commendations for work involving security at Cairo Airport.

Mr. Xenakes was born in Philadelphia and served in the Navy from 1956 to 1959. He graduated from Temple University and received a master's degree in military history at the University of Maryland.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1979 he had been a policeman in Wildwood, N.J., and worked as an assistant and analyst for the police commissioner of Philadelphia. In 1969 he received a Meritorious Service Award from Police Commissioner Frank Rizzo for apprehending a bank robber while the robbery was in progress.

In this area, Mr. Xenakes had been a special assistant to the Justice Department's Drug Enforcement Administration. He had been detailed for periods in Atlanta and in southern Florida, and had received a commendation from Vice President Bush and a Meritorious Service Medal from the Coast Guard for this work.

His marriage to Donna Bremen ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Robin Xenakes of Alexandria; three children from his first marriage, Mark Xenakes of Corpus Christi, Tex., Jason and Melissa Xenakes, both of Leechburg, Pa.; a brother, Jack Xenakes of Philadelphia; and a sister, Jeanne Fey of Drexel Hill, Pa.


AID Accountant

Alexander Minas Spathopoulos, 67, a Gaithersburg resident since settling in this area in 1987, when he retired from his job as an accountant and comptroller with the Agency for International Development, died Oct. 15 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital. He had cancer.

Mr. Spathopoulos, who became an American citizen in 1964, was born in Jerusalem to Greek parents and studied accounting in Greece. He served with the Greek Army in North Africa during World War II.

After the war, he went to work for the U.S. State Department. He worked in private industry in California from 1960 to 1962, then rejoined the government. He worked for State and various American aid programs in the Middle East, South America and the Philippines and retired as a Foreign Service officer.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary Suratt, whom he married in 1960, and a daughter, Katherine S. Hall, both of Gaithersburg; a brother, three sisters, and a grandchild.


Foreign Service Wife

Lois Marie Billings, 72, a Foreign Service officer's wife who accompanied her husband to assignments in Saudi Arabia, Libya, Lebanon and Iraq, died of cancer Oct. 29 at her home in Arlington.

Mrs. Billings was born in St. Louis. She graduated from St. Mary's College of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.

She had been a permanent resident of the Washington area since 1961.

Survivors include her husband, John Ashcroft Billings of Arlington; two children, John A. Billings Jr. of Gary, Ind., and Carol L. Casey of St. Louis; a sister, Cathryn Burke of Cincinnati; and two grandsons.


Automobile Dealer

Earle O. Baker, 92, a retired automobile dealer and a past president of the Washington Automotive Trade Association, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 29 at his home in Purcellville.

Mr. Baker was born in Barnesville, in western Mongomery County. He moved to Washington about 1916 and graduated from the Pace Institute, which became Benjamin Franklin University.

He began his career with the old Hurley Motor Co. in 1922, and became a bookkeeper and driving teacher. In 1930, he helped found Williams & Baker, Inc., a Nash car dealership in Georgetown. He retired in 1963.

A former resident of Washington and Falls Church, Mr. Baker moved to Purcellville when he retired. He was a past president of the Loudoun County chapter of the American Cancer Society and a member of the Purcellville Lions Club, St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in Purcellville and Masonic Lodge No. 4 in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Marion S. Baker, whom he married in 1921, of Purcellville; two children, Dorothy B. Stewart of Bethesda and Marshall E. Baker of Wilmington, Del.; a sister, Mabel B. Miller of Fulton, Ky.; seven grandchildren; and 13 great-grandchildren.


U.S. Customs Employee

Phyllis R. "Rip" Mills, 58, an employee since 1975 of the U.S. Customs Service, where she did administrative personnel work, died of cancer Oct. 28 at her home in Seabrook, Md.

Mrs. Mills was born in Washington. After her graduation from Bladensburg Senior High School, she was a secretary for the Eastman-Kodak Co. in Washington for a few years.

In the late 1960s, she took over the snack concession at the Bladensburg Bowling Alley and continued there until the building burned down in 1970.

Mrs. Mills was a Girl Scout Brownie leader and a member of the American Legion Auxiliary in Colmar Manor. She also was active in bowling and golf.

Her marriages to Charles Geisz and Gordon Mills ended in divorce.

Survivors include three childen from her first marriage, Paula Geisz of Hyattsville, Brad Geisz of Point of Rocks, Md., and Robert Geisz of Greenbelt; her mother, Frances Ripple of Bladensburg; two sisters, Frances Nebel of Stanley, Va., and June Thurston of Arizona; two brothers, Richard Ripple of Hyattsville and Henry Ripple of Lanham; and six grandchildren.


Research Analyst

Giannina V. de Chellis, 90, a retired Library of Congress research analyst, died of heart ailments and cancer Oct. 30 at Georgetown University Hospital.

Mrs. de Chellis was born in Kamishlov in Czarist Russia. As a teenager, she moved to Harbin, Manchuria. Later she lived in Shanghai, where she was a French, English, Russian and Polish language interpreter.

She left Shanghai shortly before the Communist takeover of China in 1949 and came to Washington, where she began working at the Library of Congress. She retired in 1970 as a senior research analyst specializing in Russian and Asian affairs.

Her husband, Amleto de Chellis, died in 1942 in a Japanese prison camp in the Philippines. Survivors include a son, I.V. de Chellis of New York City.



Alfred Lawson White, 66, retired assistant vice president and trust officer of American Security Bank, died of cancer Oct. 29 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. White was born in Washington and graduated from Wilson High School.

He joined the staff of American Security Bank in 1942, then during World War II served in the Army. He returned to the bank after the war and received a law degree from George Washington University. He retired in 1981.

He had been a Cub Scout pack leader in Kensington and Rockville and earned the Boy Scouts of America's Silver Beaver Award and Wood Badge.

Survivors include his wife of 42 years, Ethel R. White of Rockville; four children, Roger A. White and Douglas R. White, both of Germantown, Randolph E. White of New Windsor, Md., and Carolyn White Sobol of Miami; and four grandchildren.


Civil Engineer

John B. Purinton, 74, a retired civil engineer who had worked 43 years for a variety of federal agencies, died Oct. 27 at his home in Vero Beach, Fla., after a heart attack.

Mr. Purinton was born in Wheeling, W.Va., and attended West Virginia University.

He came here in 1946 after working as a civilian employee of the Army Corps of Engineers in Puerto Rico. He worked for the Corps of Engineers in this area until the mid-1950s, when he went to the Department of the Air Force. In 1974, he became staff adviser to the Senate Public Works Committee and worked there for about four years until he was appointed assistant to the commissioner of public buildings for the General Services Administration. He retired in 1979.

Mr. Purinton moved from Washington to Greenville, S.C., on retirement. In 1984 he moved to Vero Beach.

His marriage to the former Janet Oates ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Christina Bowman Purinton of Vero Beach; a daughter from his first marriage, Daris Swink of Punta Gorda, Fla.; seven grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.