Vernon X. Smith, 49, an alumni relations officer at Howard University and a community volunteer, died of liver ailments Oct. 30 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Smith was editor of the Howard University Alumni News. He was president of the Banneker High School PTA and the Parents United for D.C. Public Schools.

Mr. Smith was native of Savannah, Ga. He graduated from Howard University, where he also received a master's degree in African history.

After attending Howard University law school, he worked here as a labor law analyst at the American Trucking Association. He was a field officer with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission when he joined the alumni relations staff at Howard in 1969.

From 1973 to 1976, he did doctoral studies in African history at the University of California at Los Angeles. He then returned here and rejoined the Howard alumni relations staff.

Mr. Smith was director of the Parents's Consortium of Alternative High Schools and a board member of the Washington Parent Group Fund. He was a member of the Committee on Public Education and a co-chairman and treasurer of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity's Summer Youth Leadership Development Institute.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, Carolyn L. Smith, and two daughters, Sonia and Angela Smith, all of Washington; his mother, Irene M. Warren of Savannah; a sister, Kay Francis Smith of Savannah; and two brothers, James B. Smith of Savannah and Lloyd X. Smith of Atlanta.


Employment Agency Partner

Rose Atkin, 94, a retired partner in the Allen-O'Brien Personnel Agency, died Oct. 30 at Suburban Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Atkin was born in New York City and grew up in Hobart, N.Y. She graduated from New York's Kingston Teachers Seminary and taught school briefly in Hobart before moving to Washington in 1916.

As a young woman she helped her husband, Joseph Atkin, operate a dairy distributing business. After his death in 1938, she operated a dress shop and worked as a personnel consultant with the Atlas Employment Agency before forming the Allen-O'Brien Personnel Agency with the late Mary O'Brien. They operated that business for 21 years before retiring in the mid-1960s.

In retirement, Mrs. Atkin traveled extensively in Europe, Israel and the Far East.

A longtime labor Zionist, Mrs. Atkin was a founder of the Golda Meir Club of Pioneer Women, which later became known as Na'amat, a Zionist organization.

A former resident of Washington and Silver Spring, she had lived at the Hebrew Home of Greater Washington since May.

Survivors include three children, Maurice D. Atkin of Chevy Chase, Shom Edmond of Washington and Greta Levart of Hartsdale, N.Y.; a sister, Marcella Kaplan of New York City; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Navy Physician

Paul Fredericq Dickens Jr., 76, a retired captain in the Navy Medical Corps who served as senior medical officer of the Naval District of Washington, died of cancer Oct. 30 at Bethesda Naval Hospital.

Capt. Dickens, who lived in Arlington, was a native of California. He graduated from George Washington University and its medical school, and he did his internship and residency at George Washington University Hospital.

He joined the Navy in 1941. During World War II, he served in the Pacific aboard the battleship South Dakota and the cruiser Tucson.

His postwar assignments included duty in San Francisco and at the Naval Medical School in Bethesda, the Army Chemical Center in Edgewood, Md., and the Navy's Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in Washington. He was senior medical officer of the Naval District of Washington and commander of the dispensary at the Washington Navy Yard when he retired from active duty in 1973.

Capt. Dickens was a member of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church in Arlington.

Survivors include his wife, Jessie Calver Dickens of Arlington; three children, Paul Fredericq Dickens III of Burke, Susan Willner of Alexandria and Katherine Kareus of Fort Smith, Ark.; and seven grandchildren.


NASA Official

Aldo A. Merollini, 64, a retired National Aeronautics and Space Administration communications satellite specialist, died Oct. 29 at Suburban Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Merollini, who lived in Rockville, was born in Plains, Pa. He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II, then graduated from the University of Notre Dame.

He moved to the Washington area in 1949 and worked at the National Bureau of Standards and Harry Diamond Laboratories, a Department of the Army facility, before joining the staff at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in 1960. He retired from NASA in 1979.

After leaving the government, Mr. Merollini worked until 1989 as director of contracts for OAO Corp. in Greenbelt, an electronics consulting firm. In 1985 he founded MMK Contractors, a family-operated drywall construction firm, and he served as its president until his death.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Merollini of Rockville; five children, Ann Graham and Michael Merollini, both of Gaithersburg, Christina Renner of Derwood, Lisa Murphy of Damascus and Anthony Merollini of Rockville; his mother, Olga Merollini of Potomac; two sisters, Jean McMahon of Peckville, Pa., and Ada Erat of Potomac; and six grandchildren.



Edward R. Duffy, 73, a retired lawyer with the Federal Communications Commission who also was an aide on Capitol Hill and a special agent in the FBI, died of cancer Oct. 30 at his home in Bethesda,

Mr. Duffy was born in Springfield, Mass. He graduated from Boston University, where he received degrees in business and law. During World War II, he was a navigator in the Army Air Forces. He flew 18 combat missions in Europe and was awarded the Air Medal.

After the war, he was appointed a special agent in the FBI. He was assigned to Seattle and San Francisco before transferring to Washington in 1950. A year later, he became a staff attorney of the Senate Judiciary Committee. In 1959, he was named administrative assistant to Sen. John Marshall Butler (R-Md.). In 1963, Mr. Duffy became associate general counsel of the National Association of Manufacturers. In 1968, he retired for health reasons. He joined the FCC in 1970 as an attorney, and he retired in 1986.

Mr. Duffy was a member of Little Flower Catholic Church in Bethesda and Kenwood Golf & Country Club.

Survivors include his wife, Jacqueline B. Duffy, whom he married in 1950, of Bethesda, and a brother, Frank K. Duffy of West Harwich, Mass.


Montgomery Ward Employee

Edward M. Jett, 68, a retired manager of the carpet department at the Montgomery Ward & Co. store at Iverson Mall in Hillcrest Heights, died of a heart attack Oct. 30 at Rockingham Memorial Hospital in Harrisonburg, Va.

Mr. Jett, who lived in Harrisonburg, was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School.

He was a shipping clerk for Nabisco and a warehouse foreman for the George M. Mason Co., a Pabst Blue Ribbon beer distributor, before joining Montgomery Ward in 1967.

A former resident of Silver Spring, Mr. Jett moved to Harrisonburg when he retired from Montgomery Ward in 1983. He was a member of the College Park Moose Lodge, and he attended Mount Tabor United Methodist Church in Lacey Spring, Va.

His marriage to Eva M. Gentry ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Juanita C. Jett of Harrisonburg; three children by his first marriage, Lawrence E. Jett of Belington, W.Va., Darrell L. Jett Sr. of Gambrills, Md., and Janet E. Armstrong of Upper Marlboro; a child by his second marriage, Glenn E. Jett of Harrisonburg; a stepson, Alan B. O'Roark of Las Vegas; a brother William R. Jett of Gaithersburg; and seven grandchildren.



Thomas Carson Murphy, 46, operator of a pest control business called the Bug Man, died of liver failure Oct. 29 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Murphy, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Charleston, S.C. He attended Clemson University and graduated from Palmer College in Charleston.

He worked in a family electric business in Charleston until 1968, when he came to Washington to work as a volunteer in the Nixon presidential campaign. Later he was a volunteer for the Republican National Committee, then worked as concierge at the Roger Smith Hotel in Washington, as a salesman at the Georgetown University Shop and as a Safeway store manager.

He founded the Bug Man in 1982 and had operated the business ever since. Mr. Murphy served on the board of zoning appeals in Alexandria, where he was active in Republican Party politics. He was a former secretary-treasurer of the Del Ray Citizens Association and organized a Crime Watch program in the Del Ray neighborhood.

Survivors include a half-brother, Herman Jutzler of Charleston, S.C.