A. FLORENCE MAITLAND

School Principal

A. Florence Maitland, 92, a retired teacher of disabled children in the D.C. and Arlington public school systems, died of respiratory arrest Oct. 29 at her home in Bluemont.

Miss Maitland taught in the D.C. school system from 1916 to 1950, and for most of that time she worked with disabled children. She then joined the Arlington system and became principal of the Hume School, which served disabled children. She later was a classroom teacher at Fairlington and Page elementary schools.

In 1963, she retired from the Arlington system and became director of the Partridge School, a private institution for disabled students in Gainesville, Va. She retired a second time in 1966 and moved to St. Petersburg, Fla., where she was a substitute teacher. She moved to Bluemont in 1985.

Miss Maitland was born in San Francisco. She grew up in Washington and graduated from Central High School and Wilson Normal School. She also graduated from George Washington University and received a master's degree in history there.

She was a member of the National Education Association, the Order of the Eastern Star and the Women's Christian Temperance Union.

Survivors include three adopted children, Georgia F. Maitland of Sandy Spring, Beverly M. Harlow of Herndon, and Joseph B. Maitland of St. Petersburg; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.

HAZEL O. LOWRY

Teacher for Deaf

Hazel O. Lowry, 76, a former Montgomery County teacher who also had been a teacher's aide at the Maryland School for the Deaf in Frederick, died of lung ailments Nov. 1 at Frederick Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. Lowry lived in Gaithersburg, and was visiting a daughter when she died. A native of Gaithersburg, she was a graduate of Rockville High School and what is now Towson State University.

From 1932 to 1947, she was a teacher in the elementary grades of the Montgomery County school system. From 1949 to 1965, when she returned to Gaithersburg, she lived in Pompton Lakes, N.J. She was a teacher's aide at the Maryland School for the Deaf from 1973 until she retired in 1985.

Mrs. Lowry was a member of the Altar Guild at St. Bartholomew's Episcopal Church in Laytonsville and a former director of religious education at Christ Episcopal Church in Pompton Lakes.

Survivors include her husband, Arthur H. Lowry, whom she married in 1946, of Gaithersburg; three children, Suzanne Alice Lowry of Gaithersburg, Jeanne Elizabeth Lowry of Frederick, and Arthur Brian Lowry of Philadelphia; two sisters, Ardean L. Owings and Mary Ruth Owings Bogley, and two brothers, Thomas Owings Jr. and Gillis Conrad Owings, all of Gaithersburg.