Ralph Berglund, 72, a retired intelligence analyst for the Central Intelligence Agency, died of pneumonia Nov. 4 at Warren Memorial Hospital in Front Royal, Va.

Mr. Berglund was born in Fergus Falls, Minn. He graduated from Concordia College and served in the Army Air Forces in the China-Burma-India theater during World War II.

He moved here and joined the CIA after the war. He served mostly in the Washington area, but he also had assignments in Austria and Panama. He retired in the late 1970s after 29 years of service.

A former resident of Annandale and Alexandria, Mr. Berglund had lived in Browntown, Va., for about the last 10 years.

He was a member of the choir of Front Royal Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include his wife, Ruth Berglund of Browntown; a daughter, Kathryn Mallison of Port Jefferson, N.Y.; a sister, Geneva Mollerud of Fergus Falls; and a granddaughter.


Contracts Officer

Marian Mitchell Bland, 74, a retired contracts compliance officer with the General Services Administration and a member of Peoples Congregational Church in Washington, died of cancer Nov. 1 at the Hospice of Washington.

Mrs. Bland, who lived in Washington, was a native of Philadelphia. She came to Washington about 1940 and attended Howard University. She began her government career during World War II and worked for several federal agencies, including the Treasury Department, before joining GSA in 1971. She retired in 1978.

At Peoples Congregational Church, she had been a deaconess and a member of the Hospitality Circle, the Camille Circle and the Maundy Thursday Service. She was a member of The Group, a professional organization of government employees.

Her marriage to Milton Bland ended in divorce.

Survivors include a son, Robert "Jerry" Mitchell of Wilmington, Del.; and a grandchild.


Member of Sulgrave Club

Alice Muse Diggs, 91, a Washington resident since 1934 who was active in volunteer groups, died of pneumonia Nov. 3 at the Washington Home, where she had lived the past two years.

She had served on the women's board of the old Garfield Hospital and had been a member of the board of the National Girl Scouts Council and Barney Neighborhood House. She was a member of the Junior League and the Sulgrave Club.

Mrs. Diggs was a native of Atlanta. She had attended Wellesley College.

Her husband, Marshall R. Diggs, died in 1968. Survivors include a son, Marshall Jr., of Denver; two daughters, Helen Quiggin of Laguna Beach, Calif., and Alice Nulsen of West Springfield, N.H.; five grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


TV Photographer

Kathryn Elaine Peterson, 40, a Chicago television news photographer and a former University Park resident, died of cancer Nov. 2 at a hospital in Chicago.

Miss Peterson was born in Cheverly and graduated from Northwestern High School. She studied photojournalism in Portland, Ore.

In the late 1970s she worked as a camerawoman for WTTG-TV (Channel 5) in Washington. For about the last 10 years she had been in Chicago as a camerawoman for WBBM-TV, a CBS station.

Survivors include a daughter, Joyce Marie Peterson of Oxford, Ohio; her mother, Theo Machen Peterson of St. Leonard, Md.; her father, Nels F. Peterson of Oxon Hill; and two sisters, Sally P. Snyder of Hopkinton, Mass., and Jo Anne P. Welsh of Hyattsville.


Commerce Department Employee

Jane A. Thompson, 67, a former Commerce Department employee who had been a member of St. Christopher's Episcopal Church in Springfield, died Nov. 5 at a hospital in Asheville, N.C. She lived in Black Mountain, N.C.

Mrs. Thompson was born in Washington and graduated from Roosevelt High School. From 1942 to 1951, she worked for Commerce, where she was a position analyst in the personnel office. She lived in North Carolina from 1951 to 1963, and then returned here and lived in Springfield until moving to Black Mountain in 1988.

Survivors include her husband, William C., of Black Mountain; a daughter, Susan Zimmerman of Chicago; her mother, Alice Thada of Black Mountain; and a sister, Grace Thada of Reston.


Registered Nurse

Norma Burdick Bond, 62, a registered nurse and nursing standards coordinator at Prince George's Hospital Center, where she had worked for 37 years, died of cancer Nov. 4 at the hospital.

Mrs. Bond, who lived in Landover, was a native of Connecticut. She graduated from the Geisinger Medical Center School of Nursing in Danville, Pa.

She served as an Army nurse from 1950 to 1952. She then joined the staff of what was then Prince George's General Hospital. During her years there she had been a teacher in the hospital's school of practical nursing and supervisor of the night nursing staff.

Survivors include her husband, Samuel C. Bond of Landover; a son, Jeffrey L. Bond of Hyattsville; three brothers; and two grandchildren.


Cathedral Docent

Katharine Widenmann Loomis, 84, a longtime docent at Washington Cathedral, died of congestive heart failure Oct. 30 at Vinson Hall in McLean.

Mrs. Loomis was born in Vallejo, Calif., and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley.

In 1928, she married Frederick Kent Loomis, a Navy officer who retired as a rear admiral, and accompanied him to posts in the United States and Morocco. He died in 1987.

During World War II, Mrs. Loomis served in the Special Women's Naval Auxiliary Service as a civilian volunteer doing cryptanalysis.

She had been a resident of the Washington area since shortly after the war.

Survivors include a brother, Charles Widenmann of Vallejo.


Executive Secretary

JoAnn Marie Davies, 60, an executive secretary at Bechtel Power Corp. in Gaithersburg from 1980 to 1985, died of cancer Nov. 2 at her home in Wappingers Falls, N.Y.

Mrs. Davies was born in Wappingers Falls. She moved to the Washington area in 1968.

A former resident of Rockville, she returned to Wappingers Falls in 1985.

She was a member of St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church in Rockville.

Survivors include her husband, Bernard J. Davies of Wappingers Falls; five children, Joseph Davies of Germantown, Paul Davies and Mary Ann Monroe, both of Mount Airy, Md., James Davies of Wappingers Falls and Thomas Davies of Damascus; and a grandson.