The Rev. Harvey Lee Beasley, 71, the founder and pastor of True Gospel Baptist Church in Washington, died of cancer Nov. 3 at Doctors Hospital of Prince George's County.

Mr. Beasley, who lived in Washington, was born in Hurdle Mills, N.C. He moved to this area in 1940, and worked in the Office of the Adjutant General of the Army before World War II. He served in the Army in the Pacific during the war.

Later he attended Washington Baptist Seminary and graduated from Baltimore Bible College. He was ordained at the Isle of Patmos Baptist Church in Washington. In 1957, he founded True Gospel Baptist Church.

Mr. Beasley had also worked as a security guard, a self-employed building contractor and an auto mechanic.

He was a former treasurer of the National Capital Baptist Convention of D.C. and Vicinity, a Mason and a member of the Baptist Ministers Conference of Washington and the Sunday School and Baptist Training Union Congress.

Survivors include his wife, Mattie Beasley of Washington; a daughter, Penny M. Coles of Hurdle Mills, N.C.; five sisters; three brothers; and a grandson.



Edward Albert "Tom" Finlayson, 82, a retired librarian at the Library of Congress, died Nov. 2 in a fire at his home in Kensington.

A spokesman for the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services said the fire was caused by smoking materials. Mr. Finlayson was declared dead at the scene.

Mr. Finlayson was born in Montreal and moved to Washington about 1917. He graduated from Eastern High School and attended George Washington University.

He began his career at the Library of Congress in 1927 as a clerk. He later held positions as chief of the card division and chief of the catalogue maintenance division. He was chief of the union catalogue division when he retired in 1962.

He then worked for two years as an assistant librarian at Mount Vernon College. From 1964 to 1974, he was a library consultant at Documentation Inc. in Bethesda and the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.

Mr. Finlayson was a volunteer with Meals-on-Wheels in Kensington and at the Bethesda Naval Hospital library. He had been a past board member of the Montgomery Players, an amateur theater group and had acted with the Washington Shakespearean Society.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Emily Finlayson of Kensington; four children, Judy Allen of Cherry Hill, N.J., Joan Insel of Menlo Park, Calif., and Jacquie McLaughlin and Ted Finlayson, both of Columbia; a brother, Douglas Finlayson of Alexandria; five grandchildren and a great-grandchild.



May Richtor Heintz, 81, a gardener and former secretary of the Four Rivers Garden Club in Annapolis, died Nov. 6 at Anne Arundel General Hospital after a stroke.

Mrs. Heintz, who lived in Harwood, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She moved to this area in the 1920s. She was a member of the Women's Club in Galesville.

Survivors include her husband, William W. Heintz, and two children, Richard Heintz and Judith Heintz, all of Harwood; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Commerce Dept. Official

Charles Theurer, 72, a retired chief of the division of photogrammetry at the Commerce Department's National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration in Rockville, died of cancer Nov. 5 at his home in Springfield.

Mr. Theurer was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y., and a graduate of St. John's University.

He began his government career in the early 1940s, when he came to the Washington area as a draftsman at the Naval Hydrographic Office in Suitland. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

After the war, he transferred to the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey. During his time there, he specialized in the development and use of satellite photography in geodetic surveys. He retired in 1976.

Mr. Theurer was a member of the American Society of Photogrammetry. He had been a director at the society's national conventions and a representative at international meetings of photogrammetrists and cartographers. He was a founding member of the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Service Society.

He had been a Babe Ruth League baseball coach in Springfield and a member of the American Legion, the Elks, the Optimists and the Toastmasters Club.

Survivors include his wife of 49 years, Ann Frances Theurer of Springfield; two children, Karen Peterson of Springfield and Charles Theurer III of Virginia Beach; and six grandchildren.


Landscape Businessman

William Gessford Burton, 75, a retired owner and operator of the William G. Burton Nurseries in Hyattsville, died of respiratory failure Nov. 3 at Montgomery General Hospital. He had emphysema.

Mr. Burton, who had lived at Leisure World in Silver Spring since 1986, was born in Mount Rainier. He grew up in Hyattsville and graduated from Mount Rainier High School.

In the 1930s, he went to work at Charles G. Burton & Sons, a family landscaping company in Cottage City. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

In 1946, he founded his own business in Hyattsville. The business grew to include more than 100 trucks and did landscaping for residential and business developments in the Washington area. He retired in 1987.

Mr. Burton had been a board member of First Baptist Church of Hyattsville.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Lillian Burton of Leisure World; two children, Robert C. Burton of Crofton and Sandra L. Hardisty of Owings, Md; a sister, Esther V. Serrin of El Segundo, Calif.; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


GSA Clerk

Myrtle Sabins, 89, a retired General Services Administration transportation clerk, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Nov. 6 at Southern Maryland Hospital Center.

Mrs. Sabins, who lived in Temple Hills, was born in Key West, Fla.

During World War I, she was a Navy yeomanette.

She moved to the Washington area in 1929. During the 1930s and early 1940s, Mrs. Sabins operated Sabins Seafood Restaurant and the Victory Grill in Anacostia with her husband, Horace Sabins. He died in 1958.

She had worked 20 years at the GSA before retiring in 1962.

Survivors include three children, Horace Sabins Jr. of Ocean City, Nancy Williams of Temple Hills and Sally Truax of San Diego; five grandchildren; four great-grandchildren; and two great-great-grandchildren.