John Julius Guthrie, 70, a retired artist who had operated the John Guthrie Studio in Washington for 31 years until he retired in 1981, died Nov. 7 at Culpeper Memorial Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Castleton, Va.

Mr. Guthrie was born in Portsmouth, Va., and moved to Washington about 1930. He graduated from Woodrow Wilson High School.

During World War II, he served in the Army in the China-Burma-India theater. His military decorations included the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

After the war, he worked as an artist at National Geographic magazine. In 1950, he opened his studio, where he painted portraits, landscapes and equestrian scenes.

Over the years, Mr. Guthrie maintained homes in Annandale and Castleton. He retired to Castleton, where he raised horses.

Mr. Guthrie was a member of the Art Directors Club, the Touchdown Club and the U.S. Horse Cavalry Association. He was a board member of the Confederate Memorial Association in Washington and commander of the Little Fork Rangers of the Sons of Confederate Veterans in Culpeper.

Survivors include his wife of 44 years, Helen Guthrie of Castleton; four children, Terry Slover of Washington, Va., Edie Guthrie of Amissville, Va., Joseph Guthrie of De Land, Fla., and John Guthrie Jr., of New Smyrna Beach, Fla.; a sister, Louisa Guthrie Roach of Vienna; and six grandchildren.


HEW Official

Vernon C. Runge, 80, a retired executive director of the assistance payments administration at the Department of Health, Education and Welfare and a bass violinist with the Arlington Symphony, died of cancer Oct. 30 at Medlantic Manor nursing home in Washington.

Mr. Runge, who had been at Medlantic since September, lived in Falls Church. He was born in Racine, Wis., and grew up in Evanston, Ill. He graduated from Beloit College and did graduate studies in social work at the University of Chicago and the University of Denver.

From 1941 to 1954, he was a county public welfare director in New Mexico and later a field agent for the Public Assistance Administration, a forerunner of HEW, in Denver. He then came to this area when he went to work at HEW. He retired in 1973.

Mr. Runge joined the Arlington Symphony soon after he moved here and played with the orchestra until 1988. He had been a volunteer at the Falls Church Senior Center.

His wife, Lisa Behmer Runge, whom he married in 1937, died in January.

Survivors include a son, Richard V. Runge of Westminster, Md., and a grandchild.


Columbia Church Pastor

The Rev. Lester Earl Tallman, 56, the founder and pastor of the Columbia Church of Religious Science and the Washington Society of Religious Science, died of cardiopulmonary arrest and bone marrow infections Oct. 28 at his home in Columbia.

Mr. Tallman was born in Warsaw, N.Y. He attended Houghton College and Wesley Seminary in Washington. As a young man he was a Methodist missionary in Okinawa.

During the 1960s, he taught English at Prince George's Community College and at a high school in Baltimore, and served as assistant pastor at Severna Park United Methodist Church.

He was a United Methodist clergyman in Miami during the 1970s, then in 1980 returned to this area and founded the Columbia Church of Religious Science and the Washington Society of Religious Science.

He had done volunteer work with AIDS patients.

His marriage to Helen Tallman-Braithwaite ended in divorce.

Survivors include his companion of six years, David Deyo of Columbia; a daughter, Elizabeth Tallman of Pompano Beach, Fla.; and a sister, Donna Towle of Tallahassee, Fla.



John Alexander Copland, 75, a retired florist who had been owner and operator of Falls Church Florist, died Oct. 24 at his home in Warrenton, Va., after a heart attack.

Mr. Copland was born in Falls Church and graduated from Arlington's Washington-Lee High School. In 1935, he became a Post Office Department letter carrier in Arlington. From 1945 to 1949, he worked at the Blackistone Flower Shop in Washington and later Conklyn Florist in Arlington.

He and his wife, Mary Copland, then opened Falls Church Florist. From 1955 to 1958 they also owned and operated the Falls Church Garden Shop in Merrifield. Mrs. Copland died in 1974. Mr. Copland retired in 1978.

Over the years, Mr. Copland had sponsored Little League teams in Falls Church. He had been a president of the Northern Virginia Florists Association and a member of the Falls Church Lions and the Home Plate Club.

Survivors include a brother, Henry T. Copland of Fairfax.


Accounting Manager

Dianne Sachs Metzler, 44, an accounting department manager at the Alexandria law firm of Burns, Doane, Swecker & Mathis, died of cancer Nov. 7 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Metzler was a native of Jersey City. She came to Washington in 1971 and was a graduate of American University.

She worked as an accounting department manager at the Overseas Development Corp. in Washington from 1980 to 1983. She then moved to Phoenix, where she worked as accounting department manager there until 1987 when she returned to this area and joined Burns, Doane, Swecker & Mathis.

Mrs. Metzler was a member of the Town Home Square Association in Washington and the Washington Ski Club.

Survivors include her husband, Phillip J. Metzler of Washington; her parents, George and Rose Sachs of Miami Beach; and two sisters, Cheryl Davis of East Brunswick, N.J., and Marlene Feldstein of Edison, N.J.


Pressroom Foreman

John Dowling, 76, a retired pressroom foreman at the Department of Agriculture's Soil Conservation Service in Hyattsville, died of cancer Nov. 7 at a hospital in Loveland, Colo.

Mr. Dowling, who lived in Loveland, was an area resident from 1936 until 1969, when he moved from Adelphi to his native Colorado. He came here as a pressman at the Farm Credit Administration in Washington. During World War II, he served as a Navy Sea Bee in the Pacific. After the war, he transferred to the Soil Conservation Service as a printer. He retired in 1969.

Survivors include his wife of 52 years, Sarah Carroll Dowling of Loveland; a son, John Dowling Jr. of Washington; two sisters, Dorothy Wulf and Helen Kyner, both of Denver; four brothers, Charles Dowling of Loveland, William Dowling of Longmont, Colo., and Robert Dowling and Richard Dowling, both of Denver; and two grandchildren.


Exxon Subcontractor

Theodore Albert Coffey, 81, a retired Exxon subcontractor, died of cancer Nov. 7 at his home in Hyattsville.

Mr. Coffey was born in Cumberland, Iowa. He graduated from the University of Des Moines.

He moved to the Washington area in 1931 and later served in the Coast Guard. He owned and operated a bar, the Tap Room, in Washington during the 1940s and 1950s, then in the 1960s worked as an Exxon subcontractor. This work involved maintenance and repair on Exxon stations in the Washington area. He retired in 1983.

Survivors include his wife, Juanita H. Coffey of Hyattsville; a daughter, Margot A. Conley of Annapolis; two sisters, Margaret C. Shinn of Chevy Chase and Eileen C. Tralla of Virginia Beach; and three grandchildren.


Area Merchant

Gloria E. Maloney, 67, a former merchant who had lived in this area since 1945, died of cardiopulmonary arrest Nov. 3 at her home in Silver Spring.

She worked in the family business, Maloney's Hardware, which was an International Harvester distributor, from 1946 to 1965. For the next five years, she owned and operated Norge Cleaners in White Oak.

Miss Maloney was a native of Baltimore. She attended St. Catherine's College in Minnesota.

Survivors include her mother, Elsie M. Maloney, and a brother, Leonard J. Maloney, both of Silver Spring.


Longtime Area Resident

E. Wilhelmina Westbrook Throop, 87, an area resident since 1963, died of cancer Nov. 3 at the Goodwin House West, a retirement home in Falls Church.

Mrs. Throop, who had lived at Goodwin House West since about 1987, was born in New York City. She graduated from Vassar College.

She first came to Washington in 1934. She moved to Connecticut in 1938 and later to New York City. She returned to Washington in 1963.

Her husband, Allen E. Throop, died in 1989.

Survivors include two sons, Adrian W. Throop of San Anselmo, Calif., and Thomas A. Throop of Bethesda; and four grandchildren.


Practical Nurse

Delores I. Marks, 52, a licensed practical nurse who had worked at Holy Cross Hospital for about the last 10 years, died Oct. 23 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Marks, who lived in Gaithersburg, was born in Melcher, Iowa.

She moved to the Washington area about 30 years ago and had done nurses training at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Her husband, James Andrew Marks, died in 1977.

Survivors include three children, James Lee Marks of Gaithersburg, Susan Marie Farmer of Frederick and Sharon K. Clarke of Rockville; and four grandchildren.


Alexandria Resident

Catherine Birrell King, 99, a lifelong Alexandria resident, died of cardiopulmonary failure Nov. 2 at Mount Vernon Hospital.

Mrs. King attended St. Mary's Academy in Alexandria.

As a young woman she had worked on the 1910 Census and worked as a secretary. She had done volunteer work for the Red Cross during World War II.

Her husband, John A. King, died in 1964 and a son, John B. King, died in 1983.

Survivors include a son, William F. King of Fairfax; eight grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.