Francis I. McGarraghy, 84, a retired Air Force colonel and former Air Force civilian investigator, died Nov. 9 at his home in Falls Church after a heart attack.

Col. McGarraghy, who was born in Washington, was a graduate of Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University and its law school. From 1933 to 1942, he was a special agent with the FBI, spending his last two years with the bureau as an assistant to its director.

In 1942, he entered the Army Air Forces. During World War II, he was assigned to counterintelligence and staff work in Washington. After the war, he served in the criminal investigation division of the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations. He also spent a tour as commandant of the agency's training school and was stationed in Europe before retiring from active duty in 1953. He worked as a civilian employee of the agency until retiring in 1965.

Col. McGarraghy was a member of St. James Catholic Church in Falls Church, where he belonged to the men's club and had been president of the Holy Name Society. He also was a member of the Irish Culture Society, the Friendly Sons of St. Patrick, the Retired Officers Association and the Society of Former Special Agents of the FBI.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Rita of Falls Church.


DCA Official

Monte I. Burgett Jr., 69, an electrical engineer who was a retired associate director of programs and resources of the Defense Communications Agency, died of cancer Nov. 9 at his home in Fairfax.

He came here and began his government career with the agency in 1963. He was the recipient of three outstanding performance awards, and upon his retirement in 1987, he was presented with the agency's Director's Award for exceptional civilian service.

Mr. Burgett was born in Arkansas. He graduated from the Georgia Institute of Technology in 1943 with a degree in electrical engineering. He received a master's degree in electrical engineering at the University of Pennsylvania.

Before joining the government, he worked in Philadelphia for Philco. While there, he worked on projects involving radar during World War II and later helped develop early technology for FM car radios and color televisions.

Survivors include his wife, Marion, of Fairfax; a son, Monte, of Annandale; two daughters, Melissa Elliott of Atlanta and Marcia Buchanan of Springfield; his mother, Elizabeth Burgett, and a brother, Howard, both of Stockton, Calif.; and three grandchildren.


Bakery Co-Owner

Alice M. Stephanson, 91, co-owner of the old Stephanson Bakery in Southeast Washington from 1928 to 1960, died Nov. 9 at her home in Washington. She had a heart ailment.

She and her husband, James G. Stephanson, founded the bakery near Pennsylvania Avenue and 23rd Street. They operated it until it closed. Over the years, they became known for such items as butter-crust pies, cookies, cakes, danish, cheesecake and even ice cream.

They originally sold items wholesale and over the counter. In later years, they concentrated on the retail end of the trade.

Mrs. Stephanson was a founder of Greater Southeast Community Hospital. She had raised money for the institution and had served in its ladies auxiliary until the mid-1980s. She was a life member of the Soroptimist Club International and a member of the Anacostia Lioncels.

Born in Pennsylvania, Mrs. Stephanson came here in 1917 and married in 1921. Her husband died in 1977.

Her survivors include two sisters, Marian Miller of Vienna and Celia M. Groves of Suitland; and a brother, William Minsker, also of Suitland.


Government Librarian

Jack McDonald Jr., 54, chief of the library services division of the Congressional Research Office at the Library of Congress and a member of Springfield Baptist Church in Washington, died Nov. 6 at his home in Washington after a heart attack.

He joined the Library of Congress in 1961 as a researcher-editor. He rose through the ranks, becoming library services division chief for the research office in 1979.

Mr. McDonald, who came here in 1959, was a native of Oklahoma City. He was a sociology graduate of Oklahoma City University and received a master's degree in library science from Catholic University. He served in the Army from 1959 to 1961.

Survivors include his mother, Esther Keith, and a sister, Ethel Adamson, both of Oklahoma City.


OAS Translator

Affonso Henriques Correa, 93, a retired translator with the Organization of American States, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 6 at a hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. He lived in Fort Lauderdale.

Mr. Correa, who was born in Amparo, Brazil, came to this country in 1940 and moved to Washington in 1942. He lived in this city and Arlington before moving to Florida in 1987.

In Brazil, he had studied accounting. After serving in the Brazilian Army, he was a port administrator for Rio de Janeiro. He attended Columbia University before joining the State Department in 1942. He was a translator on the staff of Nelson A. Rockefeller, then the coordinator of Inter-American Affairs, before joining the Organization of American States. He worked at the OAS for about 20 years before retiring in 1964.

Mr. Correa had been a member of the National Press Club, where he worked for the admission of women members, and was a friend of Unitarian Universalist Church of Arlington. He was the author of books, published in Portuguese, on Brazilian politics and history.

Survivors include his wife, Catherine, of Fort Lauderdale.


Teacher & Singer

Alma Parks Brown, 82, a former teacher who had been active in church singing groups, died Nov. 9 at Suburban Hospital. She had diabetes.

She was a member of Calvary Episcopal Church in Washington. At the church, she had been a lead soprano soloist and member of several singing groups. She also sang at other area churches.

Mrs. Brown was a native and resident of Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and the old Miner Normal School before receiving a physical education degree at Howard University. She taught in North Carolina in the 1930s, then taught physical education for the the D.C. public schools in the 1940s.

From the 1960s to the mid-1980s, she donated room and board in her home to a series of needy students.

Her husband, Kenneth G. Brown, died in 1984. Survivors include a sister, Valerie Parks Brown of Washington.


Fiber Artist

Sylvia G. Weissman, 69, an area fiber artist for the last 35 years who was a former president of the sisterhood of Ohr Kodesh Congregation in Chevy Chase, died of cancer Nov. 10 at Bethesda Nursing Home. She lived in Chevy Chase.

She had made wall-hangings, seat pillows and coverings, and baskets, all from fiber. She had exhibited her work in local shows.

Mrs. Weissman, who came here in 1941, was a native of Philadelphia. She had worked for the Army Quartermaster Corps here during World War II.

She was a member of the Bead Society of Washington and the Embroiderers' Guild of America.

Survivors include her husband, Nathan, of Chevy Chase; three daughters, Ruth M. Kurtz of Washington, Lorna E. Elgamil of Ellicott City and Anita D. Kramer of Damascus, Md.; a brother, Hank Gordon of Tamarac, Fla.; a sister, Reba Gottcho of Lancaster, Pa.; and five grandchildren.


Arlington Deputy Treasurer

Duane Laird "Dewey" Dunlap, 56, who worked for the Arlington County government for 22 years before retiring in 1986 as deputy treasurer, died of cancer Nov. 10 at Arlington Hospital. He lived in Arlington.

Before he became deputy treasurer, his posts included that of deputy commissioner of revenue, a job he held from 1969 to 1978.

Mr. Dunlap, who was a native of Ohio, came to the Washington area in 1964. He had served in the Army from 1956 to 1958.

Survivors include his wife, the former Nancy Breedlove, a son, Neil Duane Dunlap, and a daughter, Dawn Lee Dunlap, all of Arlington; a brother, Charles L., of Alliance, Ohio; and three sisters, Joanne Talbott of Arlington and Louise Gotter and Jean Sigler, both of Phoenix.