The obituary yesterday on Leslie A. Reynolds Sr. omitted a daughter, Dixie Lee Reynolds of Glenn Dale, from the list of survivors. (Published 11/14/90)


Lawyer, Soldier and Diplomat

Belton O'Neal Bryan, 80, a retired lawyer, soldier and diplomat who also had worked for Martin Marietta Corp. in Baltimore, died of cancer Nov. 11 at his home in Fairfax.

He served on active Army duty from 1941 to 1948 and retired from the reserves as a colonel in the 1960s. He spent much of his career in the Army's contracts branch.

From 1948 to 1962, Col. Bryan served in the Foreign Service. His posts included those of first secretary of the embassy in Athens and consul general in Glasgow. His last post was a deputy assistant secretary of state for security and consular affairs.

He then spent five years as a contracts director with Martin Marietta. From 1967 until retiring in 1972, he was in private law practice in Crystal City. He specialized in contract law.

Col. Bryan, who had lived here since the early 1930s, was born in South Carolina. He was a graduate of Duke University and George Washington University law school.

He was a member of the Army Navy Country Club, Truro Episcopal Church in Fairfax, and Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired. He received the Army Commendation Medal.

Survivors include his wife, Mildred, of Fairfax; three sons, O'Neal Bryan of Alexandria, Michael, of Fairfax, and Richard, of North Carolina; a daughter, Susan B. Ehreke of Oklahoma; two sisters, Myrtle Atkins of Fairfax and Dorothy West of Richmond; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Alexandria Church Member

Boston B. Woods, 79, an area resident since the early 1960s who was a member of Oakland Baptist Church in Alexandria, died Nov. 8 at Fairfax Hospital after a stroke. He had lived in Alexandria since 1965.

Mr. Woods, who was a native of Columbus, Ohio, was a barber in Bedford, Va., during World War II. After the war, he owned and operated the Woods Truck and Transfer Co. in Lynchburg until retiring and moving here.

His marriage to Willia Woods ended in divorce. His second wife, Elizabeth S. Woods, died in 1986.

Survivors include six children by his first marriage, James, of Hampton, Va.; Raymond and Harry, both of Lynchburg; Ernestine Booker of Beckley, W.Va.; and Elizabeth and Norma Woods, both of Silver Spring; two stepchildren, Pearl Sandifer of Fairfax and Powell Jones of Arlington; a half-brother, Harry Lowry of Bedford; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Church Member

Louise Sanderson McChesney, 65, a lifelong area resident who had been a member of Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington and the Columbia Country Club, died of cancer Nov. 11 at her home in Shady Side.

Mrs. McChesney, who was a native of Washington, was a graduate of Georgetown Visitation Convent and Rosemont College in Pennsylvania. In the 1940s, she had worked as a saleswoman for the Best Co. in Washington.

Survivors include her husband, Robert W. McChesney Jr. of Shady Side; four sons, Fred S., of Atlanta, Robert W., of Philadelphia, Michael J., of Silver Spring, and W. David, of Shreveport, La.; three daughters, Kathleen M. McChesney of Chevy Chase, M. Louise Forte of Bethesda and Mary McChesney of Rockville; two sisters, Margaret Amussen of Eureka Springs, Ark., and Mary Ann Mougey of Kensington; and nine grandchildren.


House Painter

Leslie Adams Reynolds Sr., 83, a retired area house painter who was a member of St. George's Episcopal Church in Glenn Dale, died of a heart ailment Nov. 8 at his home in Glenn Dale.

Mr. Reynolds, who was a native of Savannah, Ga., came to this area in 1936. He was an independent house painter from 1936 until retiring in 1972.

His wife of 36 years, the former Jacqueline Davis, died in 1973. His survivors include two sons, Leslie Jr., of Glenn Dale, and Douglas "Butch" Reynolds of Fort Washington; a brother, C. Victor, and a sister, Ethel Witherington, both of Savannah; and a grandson.


CIA Section Chief

Charan Jeat Singh Jossan, 54, a section chief with the Foreign Broadcast Information Service of the Central Intelligence Agency, died at Reston Hospital Center Nov. 7 after a heart attack. He lived in Vienna.

A native of the Punjab region of India, Dr. Jossan was in charge of the Southeast Asia division of the broadcast information service, where he had worked for nine years. He came to this country in 1965, after receiving a master's degree in humanities from the University of Dehli and living in Suriname.

Dr. Jossan worked here for the Voice of America and then moved to Durham, N.C. He taught Hindi and Indian literature at Duke University from 1966 to 1971 and did graduate work in linguistics at the University of North Carolina. He taught for 10 years at Syracuse University, where he received a doctorate in humanities. He belonged to the Asia Society.

Survivors include his wife, Nirmal A., a daughter, Surina, and two sons, Subir S. and Sunir S, all of Vienna; and a brother, Harbajan S., of Queens, N.Y.


Virginia Investor

W. Daniel "Con" Conrad, 81, a former soldier, real estate agent, newspaper columnist and investor who served as president of the Springfield Chamber of Commerce in 1972, died Nov. 9 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center. He had a heart ailment.

Maj. Conrad, who came here in the early 1950s, was born in Latah, Wash. He spent 13 years in the Army before retiring in 1955. He served in Europe during World War II and as an ordinance officer after that.

From the mid-1950s to the late 1960s, he was a broker and real estate agent with Lynch Bros. in Springfield, where he did both selling and appraising. From the late 1960s to the early 1970s, he was a board adviser to the old Northern Virginia Bank in Springfield. He did bank appraisals on both commercial and residential properties. In 1982, he helped found the Springfield Investment Group, and he was a partner in the venture until selling his interest in 1988.

In the 1970s, he wrote the column "Con's Corner" for the Springfield Times.

His marriage to Jean Conrad ended in divorce. His companion of 20 years, Virginia L. DeMayo, died in August 1990.

He leaves no immediate survivors.