Del. Warren G. Stambaugh (D-Arlington), an outspoken champion of Northern Virginia's interests in the General Assembly, died of an apparent heart attack yesterday at Georgetown University Hospital. He was 46.

Just hours earlier, the energetic, quick-witted legislator -- who entered the hospital Friday and was found to have a heart ailment -- told friends that he thought he would not need surgery and would be home by Sunday.

Mr. Stambaugh's death is widely seen as a significant blow to Northern Virginia's might in the House. "Warren was a key player in the House of Delegates and it will make it much more difficult to maintain funding for Northern Virginia in these tight budget times," said Del. James F. Almand (D-Arlington). "His influence and debating skills were certainly used to bring home the bacon to Northern Virginia."

Gov. L. Douglas Wilder, who relied on Mr. Stambaugh to carry key legislation, called him a "valued friend," "an eloquent spokesman," and a respected legislator "who understood the need for coalescing with others from around the state."

Wilder spokeswoman Laura Dillard said that in "due course" the governor will call a special election to replace Mr. Stambaugh, who had represented Arlington since 1974 and ran unopposed for his ninth term last year.

A tenacious debater on and off the House floor, Mr. Stambaugh was a fixture in the back of the House Chamber, chain-smoking and patching political deals.

When he arrived in Richmond as a freshman legislator just after the Watergate scandal, he was seen as an acerbic, irreverent outsider. But through the years, he shed his denim pants for pin-striped suits and became an influential insider, a backroom dealmaker who relished the chance to outmaneuver rural legislators when their interests collided with Northern Virginia's. He frequently was mentioned as a future majority leader or speaker of the House.

"He sounded like he was in good spirits," said Del. C. Richard Cranwell (D-Vinton), a close friend who spoke with Mr. Stambaugh at the hospital Tuesday night. "He said there was a good chance he would be home Sunday."

Cranwell, chairman of the House Finance Committee and perhaps the most influential member of the House, spent much of the last General Assembly sessions chatting with Mr. Stambaugh in the aisles or corridors.

"This is a tragedy for the state and particularly for the less fortunate," Cranwell said. In addition to Mr. Stambaugh's extensive backing of legislation aiding the mentally ill and the handicapped, Cranwell said that "if you look at all the major issues over the last five years, they all have Warren's fingerprints on them."

"There is no way to replace him," said Cranwell, who is from the Roanoke area.

Del. Leslie L. Byrne (D-Falls Church), who sat next to Mr. Stambaugh in the General Assembly, said that perhaps the "most interesting thing about Warren is that while he was thought to be the most liberal member of the assembly -- he was a voice for those who normally didn't have a voice in politics -- he got along with the more conservative members. People respected his vision."

Mr. Stambaugh was born in Maysville, Ky. He moved to the Washington area to attend the Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, from which he graduated. He received a law degree from Catholic University, and when the General Assembly was not in session, he ran a general law practice in Arlington.

When asked during his last election campaign about his accomplishments and future goals, Mr. Stambaugh cited his successful efforts to increase the state's share of Metro funding and his writing of the Virginians With Disabilities Act, which extended civil rights protections to the disabled.

What he hoped to do in his current term, Mr. Stambaugh said, was "revisit our funding for mental health, mental retardation and substance abuse programs." During an interview last year, he said, those programs are "underfunded and they need to be looked at again."

Mr. Stambaugh's marriage to the former Dorothy Hoff, who is now Dorothy Clarke and a member of the Arlington School Board, ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Rosemary Stambaugh, two children by his first marriage, Peter and Lisa Stambaugh, and two stepchildren, Patrick and Amy Storey, all of Arlington; and his mother, Margaret Maley Stambaugh of Maysville.


Foreign Service Officer

Edward T. Lampson, 78, a retired State Department Foreign Service officer who also worked as a congressional researcher, died Nov. 12 at Georgetown University Hospital after a heart attack. He had Alzheimer's disease.

Mr. Lampson had served in Ankara, Turkey; Dusseldorf, Germany; Bonn; and London over a career that spanned 23 years. He retired from the State Department in 1970. He then worked until 1976 for the Congressional Research Service at the Library of Congress as a researcher in European affairs.

On his assignments abroad, Mr. Lampson served as a political officer, specializing in German affairs, Turkish economic affairs and British domestic policy.

Mr. Lampson was a native of Hartford, and he graduated from Amherst College, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa. He received a master's degree and a doctorate in history from Harvard University.

Mr. Lampson taught English history at Trinity College in Hartford and Southeastern College in Memphis from 1939 to 1943. During World War II, he served in the Army, stationed at the Pentagon. He joined the State Department in 1945 and the Foreign Service in 1947.

He lived in Washington and had a summer home in Castine, Maine.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Wright Lampson of Washington; a son, Butler, of Cambridge, Mass.; and two daughters, Mary Lampson of Dresden, Maine, and Edith Lampson of Washington; and four grandchildren.


School Counselor

Edna Johnson Whitehead, 69, a retired counselor at Washington's Roosevelt High School, died of complications of diabetes Nov. 8 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mrs. Whitehead, who lived in Washington, was born in Muskogee, Okla. She grew up in Cleveland and graduated from Wilberforce University in Ohio. As a young woman she operated a dance studio in Cleveland and later appeared in dance recitals in New York.

From 1954 to 1956, she taught dance and physical education in the New York public schools. She received a master's degree in education from Columbia University in 1956.

In 1958, she moved to the Washington area after having taught school in Cleveland for two years. She began teaching in the D.C. public schools in 1959 and was assigned at Young Elementary School until 1961, when she joined the faculty at Roosevelt High School. She became a counselor there in 1966 and retired in 1985.

Mrs. Whitehead had served on the board of directors of the Howard Theatre Foundation and was a member of the Fifteenth Street Presbyterian Church.

Survivors include her husband of 32 years, Henry P. Whitehead of Washington; a sister, Helen J. Collins of Vallencia, Calif.; and a brother, Southey Johnson of Singers Glen, Va.


Information Director

John W. Carey, 69, retired director of information for the research foundation of the National Association of Homebuilders, died Nov. 11 at his home in Alexandria after a heart attack.

Mr. Carey was born in St. Paul, Minn. He attended the University of Minnesota and Duke University and during World War II worked on highway construction in Alaska.

He graduated from the University of Maryland in 1948 and then joined the staff of the American Automobile Association in Washington as a writer. He worked for the Portland Cement Association here from 1957 until joining the staff of the National Association of Homebuilders in 1964. He had done research there in energy efficiency and new building materials.

In 1986 Mr. Carey retired. He then assisted his wife, Helen W. Carey, in the operation of her Capitol Hill real estate brokerage.

Mr. Carey had sung in the National Oratorio Society.

In addition to his wife of 42 years, of Alexandria, survivors include three children, John Wade Carey Jr. of Washington, Jean Carey Gudaitis of Falls Church and David B. Carey of Richmond; two brothers, David H. Carey of Brookeville, Md., and Thomas W. Carey of Vero Beach, Fla.; and a grandchild.


School Psychologist

Ethel Truss Savage, 75, a retired Anne Arundel County schools psychologist who had also worked in the school psychology department of the Montgomery County schools, died of cancer Nov. 12 at Anne Arundel Medical Center in Annapolis.

Mrs. Savage, who lived in Sherwood Forest, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y. She grew up in Puerto Rico, where her father was district engineer with the Army Corps of Engineers.

She graduated from the University of Puerto Rico and did graduate work in psychology at the University of Chicago.

In 1951, Mrs. Savage moved to the Washington area and began working in the school psychology department of Montgomery County public schools. She worked there until 1957, then moved to Palo Alto, Calif.

She returned to this area in 1965 and began working in the school psychology department of the Anne Arundel County public schools. In 1969, she received a master's degree in school psychology from American University. She retired as a school psychologist in 1980.

Survivors include her husband of 50 years, Dr. Charles Savage of Sherwood Forest; two children, Charles W. Savage III of Novato, Calif., and Emmy Borthwick of Falls Church; and three grandchildren.


Gallery Owner

Margaret Backus Peel, 72, a former journalist and department store buyer who had been a Foreign Service wife, died Nov. 11 at a hospital in Bennington, Vt., after a heart attack. She lived in Danby, Vt.

Mrs. Peel, who was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., came to Arlington at an early age. She graduated from the old Western High School in Washington and was a 1941 graduate of Dickinson College.

She was a War Department employee relations counselor here during World War II. She then worked for the Army in Germany before her marriage in 1946 to journalist Harris Peel. They both spent the next two years covering Europe for Holiday magazine.

In the late 1940s, Mrs. Peel was a buyer for Macy's in New York. She then accompanied her husband, who had joined the State Department, to posts in the Middle East and Nigeria. About 15 years ago, they left Washington and opened a fine arts gallery in Danby that they operated until her death.

In addition to her husband, of Danby, survivors include a son, David H., of Burlington, Vt.; two daughters, Susan H. Peel of New Jersey, and Jane Peel Fuller of Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.; and a grandson.


Agriculture Employee

Marcella A. Kalanevich, 59, a secretary with the Agriculture Department since 1977, died Nov. 12 at St. Francis Hospital in Wilmington, Del., of a heart attack.

A resident of New Carrollton, she was visiting her mother in Wilmington when she was stricken.

At Agriculture, she worked for the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services in Hyattsville.

Mrs. Kalanevich was a native of Jeddo, Pa., and a graduate of Hazelton Business School in Pennsylvania. She came here in the mid-1950s from Wilmington to work for the Department of the Navy.

She was active in St. Mary's Catholic Church of Landover Hills.

Survivors include her husband, Thomas, and a son, Paul, both of New Carrollton; two daughters, Linda Neville, of Neptune, N.J., and Monica Harding, of Federalsburg, Md.; her mother, Helen Slank of Wilmington; a brother, John Slank Jr., of Newark, Del.; two sisters, Bernardine Lendziosyek of Bethany Beach, Del., and Marguerite Wrightson of Wilmington, Del.; and a granddaughter.


Montgomery Teacher

Mary Louise Corrigan, 59, a teacher and department head at Robert Frost Intermediate School in Rockville, died Nov. 13 at Holy Cross Hospital. She had cancer.

Mrs. Corrigan taught home economics and reading in the Montgomery County school system for 18 years. At Robert Frost, she headed the department of alternative education. Earlier, she taught at Hoover Junior High School in Potomac.

Born in Fall River, Mass., Mrs. Corrigan graduated in 1953 from Framingham State Teachers College. She received master's degrees in special education and reading from Western Maryland College.

From 1953 to 1957, she taught home economics in Baltimore public schools.

A resident of Bethesda, Mrs. Corrigan was a member of the Montgomery County Board of Social Services, for which she received the Maryland governor's citation for outstanding service in 1979 and an award from Montgomery County Executive Charles Gilchrist.

Mrs. Corrigan was a corresponding secretary for the Maryland International Reading Association Council and a member of the Montgomery County Reading Association, the Woodhaven Garden Club and the Massachusetts Society of Washington, D.C.

She is survived by her husband, John P. Corrigan of Bethesda; two sons, Dr. John T. Corrigan of Silver Spring and Christopher M. Corrigan of Bethesda; three daughters, Mary P. Corrigan of Rockville, Dr. Kathleen Corrigan of Durham, N.C., and Carol A. Corrigan of Aspen Hill; a brother, Brother Francis Sullivan of Forestville; two sisters, Helen Ames of Clio, Mich., and Elizabeth Boland of Bristol, N.H.; and three grandchildren.


Commerce Department Official

Joseph T. Jacobs, 82, retired chief of classification and wage administration in the Office of the Secretary of Commerce, died of cancer Nov. 13 at Doctors Community Hospital in Lanham.

Mr. Jacobs, who lived in Cheverly, was born in Hazleton, Pa. He attended Villanova University and the Carnegie Institute of Technology. He was a social worker in Pennsylvania before joining the Social Security Administration in Baltimore in 1936.

He moved to the Washington area shortly thereafter and continued working for Social Security until World War II. He served in the Navy during the war.

After the war Mr. Jacobs began working for the Department of Commerce as a personnel specialist. He graduated from George Washington University in 1947.

He retired from the Department of Commerce in 1972.

His wife, the former Louise Hanner, died in 1964.

Survivors include three daughters, Ann L. Sears of Falmouth, Mass., Mary E. Rodriguez of Bowie and Peggy Navia of Fairfax; a brother, Robert E. Jacobs of Hazleton; four sisters, Marion Forliano of Deland, Fla., Helen Jacobs of Danville, Pa., Rita Foote of New York City and Marie Keen of Vienna; and six grandchildren.


D.C. Teacher

John T. Donovan, 92, a junior high school teacher and coach in the D.C. school system for 37 years, died of Alzheimer's disease Nov. 13 at the Wisconsin Avenue Nursing Home. He had previously lived in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Donovan, a former resident of Chevy Chase, retired in 1962 from MacFarland Junior High School, where during a 17-year stretch during the 1930s and 1940s, his track team won the city junior high school championship annually. He was a teacher of physical education, health and safety.

A native of Terre Haute, Ind., Mr. Donovan came to Washington in the early 1920s to study at Georgetown University and at Georgetown University Law School, from which he received a law degree.

While a teacher, Mr. Donovan served on a number of curriculum committees and served informally at MacFarland as a kind of dean of boys, according to one tribute written at his retirement, "exerting tremendous influence in developing ideals."

His wife, Ruth A. Donovan, died in May. He leaves no immediate survivors.


FHA Employee

Dorothy E. Aaronson, 89, a retired clerk-stenographer at the old Federal Housing Administration, died of a brain tumor Nov. 11 at her home in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

Mrs. Aaronson, a native of Bridgeport, Conn., lived in Washington from 1925 until 1965, when she moved to Fort Lauderdale. She began her government career in 1928 and retired from the FHA in 1962.

Survivors include her husband, David M. Aaronson, whom she married in 1920, of Fort Lauderdale; a son, Charles M. Aaronson of Fairfax; and a granddaughter.


Communications Specialist

Andrew A. Horner, 74, a retired General Services Administration communications specialist, died of heart ailments Nov. 12 at Montgomery General Hospital.

Mr. Horner, who lived in Silver Spring, was born in Emmitsburg, Md. He moved to Washington as a child and graduated from McKinley Tech High School.

He began his federal career in 1938 with the Reconstruction Finance Corp., then during World War II served as an Army cryptographer.

After the war he was a communications specialist with the Veterans Administration until 1961 when he joined the staff at GSA. His work there included helping to establish the federal telecommunications system and a law enforcement teletype system for state and local police agencies. He had received a Meritorious Service Award and the administrator's Exceptional Service Award. He retired from GSA in 1972.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy M. Horner, and two children, Marcia Ann Nilson-Ruf and John R. Horner, all of Silver Spring.


Diplomat for China

Yao Tsu Chu, 73, former cultural attache here for the Embassy of the Republic of China, died of cancer Nov. 12 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Mr. Chu, who lived in Kensington, was a diplomat here for the government of Nationalist China on Taiwan from 1957 to 1968.

He then retired from government service and became a systems analyst. For 15 years he worked for McGraw-Hill Publishing Corp. and the Marriott Corp. developing programs for personal computers. He retired in 1985.

Mr. Chu was a native of Kiangsu, China, and graduated in 1939 from National Chengchi University with a degree in education. Before his diplomatic service he was an education specialist with the ministry of education of the Republic of China, on the mainland and then on Taiwan, when the Nationalist Chinese government moved there in 1949.

He is survived by his wife, Yat Fang Chu of Kensington; four sons, Richard Chu of Houston, Leigh Chu of Dallas, Nelson Chu of Atlanta and Sam Chu of Wheaton; two daughters, Rose Chu of Falls Church and Flora Chu of Berkeley, Calif.; his mother, Hwa Weh Chu of Kiangsu; three brothers and two sisters, all in China; and eight grandchildren.


WSSC Construction Foreman

William "Reds" Anderson, 71, a retired Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission construction foreman and former chief of the Hyattsville Fire Department, died Nov. 10 at the Greater Laurel Beltsville Hospital in Laurel after a heart attack.

He spent 22 years with the WSSC before retiring in 1978 after a stroke. He worked for the Hyattsville Fire Department from the late 1940s to the early 1950s, retiring as chief.

Mr. Anderson, who lived in Laurel, was born in Baltimore and came here at an early age. He was an Army veteran of World War II.

He was a member of Kilby's Easter Seal Center, a facility for stroke victims. He attended Laurel Presbyterian Church and was a member of American Legion Post No. 60 in Laurel and Laurel Moose Lodge No. 1504.

His wife, Sue, died in July. Survivors include two daughters, Debra Roby of Laurel, and Ann Cadman of Orlando, Fla.; a sister, Margaret Garrison of Upper Marlboro; and four grandchildren.



Margery Hurd West, 82, a retired Washington teacher and supervisor of elementary education, died of respiratory ailments Nov. 10 at Greater Laurel Beltsville Hospital.

Mrs. West, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Washington. She graduated from McKinley Tech High School and Wilson Teachers College and received a master's degree in education from the University of Maryland.

During the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s she taught at Janney and Lafayette elementary schools in Washington, then in the late 1950s became an elementary education supervisor. She retired in 1971 as supervising director in the department of supervision of the D.C. Public Schools.

Mrs. West was a member of St. Catherine's Guild at All Saints Episcopal Church in Chevy Chase. She had worked in the church's thrift shop.

Her husband, Paul West, died in 1937. Survivors include a daughter, Sharlie Kovacs of Hillandale; three grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.



Morton A. Kramer, 65, the president and owner of Joseph A. Wilner & Co. retail custom tailors in Washington, died of cancer Nov. 13 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mr. Kramer, who lived in Washington, was born in New York City. He graduated from the University of Missouri with a degree in journalism. He worked for a New York advertising firm and a department store in Allentown, Pa., before moving to the Washington area in the early 1950s to work as a men's clothing buyer for Lansburgh's department store.

He began working at Joseph A. Wilner & Co. in 1970 and purchased the business in 1980.

Mr. Kramer was a past president of the Baltimore-Washington Men's Clothing Association and the Shoreham North Condominiums in Washington.

He was an enthusiastic skier and a member of the St. Albans Tennis Club.

Survivors include his wife of 38 years, Elizabeth Gruno Kramer of Washington; and a sister, Shirley Kirsh of Atlanta.


Interior Designer

Renee Kolber Perlstein, 52, an interior designer with Architectural Interiors in Washington, died of cancer Nov. 12 at George Washington University Hospital. She lived in Potomac.

Mrs. Perlstein had worked for several area firms for seven years before joining Architectural Interiors about five years ago.

She was a member of Temple Rodef Shalom in Falls Church, where she served as Sisterhood co-president and catering service co-chairman.

Mrs. Perlstein, who came to the Washington area in 1965, was a native of Philadelphia. She was a graduate of the Museum College of Art in Philadelphia.

Survivors include her husband, Barnet R., of Potomac; a son, Jeffrey, of Towson, Md.; and two daughters, Karen Ilene Perlstein of Potomac and Marcy Ann Perlstein of Towson.