Nancy L. Fiester, 48, confidential secretary to Donald Regan when he was Treasury secretary and White House chief of staff, died of Hodgkin's disease Nov. 12 at George Washington University Hospital.

She had been executive assistant at the Federal Retirement Thrift Investment Board since 1987.

Miss Fiester's career here as a secretary and executive assistant for top government officials spanned nearly three decades. She worked for Regan at Treasury from 1981 to 1985; for Beryl Sprinkel, then chairman of the Council of Economic Advisors, from 1985 to 1987, and for Regan again at the White House.

Among the other officials she had worked for were Manuel Johnson, former vice chairman of the Federal Reserve Board, and high-ranking appointees with the Treasury Department.

A native of Forksville, Pa., Miss Fiester came to Washington in 1962 to work as a secretary at the General Services Administration. She went to the White House during the Johnson administration to work in the correspondence unit there, and in 1966 moved next door to the Treasury Department, where she worked in the Office of International Affairs.

That assignment took her to Bonn, where she worked for the financial attache at the U.S. Embassy. She left government service from 1970 to 1975 to work for a travel agency in Williamsport, Pa., and then returned to Washington to work at the Treasury Department.

Her most recent job was with Francis X. Cavanaugh, executive director of the board administering the new tax-deferred savings plan for federal employees.Miss Fiester is survived by her parents, Warren and Irene Fiester, of Forksville; three brothers, Gary and Joey Fiester, both of Forksville, and Lyndon Fiester of Montoursville, Pa., and three sisters, Betsy Reibson of Forksville, Rebecca Aldinger of Forksville, and Roberta Fiester of Nashua, N.H.


Foreign Service Officer

Robert L. York Sr., 69, a retired Foreign Service officer with the U.S. Information Agency and a former football coach with the Catholic Youth Organization at St. Catherine Laboure Catholic Church in Wheaton, died of a heart attack Nov. 3 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Port Charlotte, Fla.

Mr. York, who was stricken at the Kingsway Country Club in Punta Gorda, Fla., was born in Washington. He graduated from Eastern High School and attended Washington and Lee University on a football scholarship. During World War II, he served in the Navy. He later graduated from George Washington University.

In 1945, Mr. York went to work for the Veterans Administration in Washington. In 1955, he transferred to USIA, where his work involved administration and personnel. In 1962, he joined the Foreign Service and was assigned to France, Peru, the Philippines and Venezuela as an official of the U.S. Information Service, the name by which the USIA is known abroad.

In 1975, Mr. York retired from the government and moved to Punta Gorda. A former resident of Wheaton, he was a member of Holy Name Society at St. Catharine Laboure, the National Associaton of Retired Federal Employees, the American Legion and the Elks Club.

His first wife, the former Margaret Cannon, died in 1983.

Survivors include his wife, Barbara M. York of Punta Gorda; six children by his first marriage, Robert L. York Jr. of Potomac, Richard C. York of Tampa, John T. York of Ashton, Md., Christopher C. York of Gaithersburg, Thomas F. York of New Port Richey, Fla., and Mary Ann Poe of Eagle River, Alaska; two brothers, Charles Irving York of Bethesda and James H. York of Columbia; and eight grandchildren.


U.S. News Executive

Richard P. Stifel, 70, retired circulation sales director at U.S. News and World Report, died of cancer Nov. 15 at his home in Washington.

Mr. Stifel was born in Cincinnati and graduated from Princeton University.

He moved to Washington in 1942. He served in the Navy aboard the battleship New Jersey during World War II.

He retired from U.S. News and World Report in 1981 after more than 30 years with the magazine and its predecessor publications.

Mr. Stifel was a collector of antique American flags.

He had served on the boards of trustees of Beauvoir and Landon Schools, the Chevy Chase Club, Washington Hospital Center, the Direct Mail Association and the Princeton Club of Washington. He was a member of the Society of the Cincinnati.

Survivors include his wife, Chloe M. Stifel of Washington; five children, Richard P. Stifel Jr., Peter A. Stifel and Dana S. Kiplinger, all of Bethesda, Christopher D. Stifel of Cloverly, Md., and Quentin R. Stifel of Washington, and eight grandchildren.


Army Wife

Setsuko Inomata Butler, 65, a certified instructor in tea ceremony and flower arranging in her native Japan, died of gastrointestinal bleeding Nov. 13 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Mrs. Butler was the wife of Clayton L. Butler, a retired chief warrant officer in the Judge Advocate General Corps of the Army, whom she married in 1959. She accompanied him to subsequent assignments in West Germany and France and to various military posts in this country before settling in Washington in 1966.

Mrs. Butler was a member of the Lamond-Riggs Citizens Association in Northeast Washington.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include two daughters, Alicia Yoshiko Adams of Washington and Jacqueline Lucille Andrews of Misawa Air Force Base, Japan, and a granddaughter.


Dale City Volunteer

Katherine Patricia Spellane, 47, a longtime community volunteer in Prince William County and wife of Coles District Supervisor Terrence Spellane, died of cancer Nov. 15 at her home in Dale City.

A native of Hingham, Mass., and a graduate of Wyndham Secretarial School in Boston, Mrs. Spellane moved to Dale City with her family 18 years ago.

She was a team mother for the Dale City Lassie League and Little League and served on the PTA boards of Dale City and Minnieville elementary schools and Woodbridge Middle School.

She was on the board of directors of the Gar-Field Senior High School Band Boosters, was a past director of the Gar-Field Choral Boosters and was corresponding secretary of the Dale City Civic Association for three years.

Mrs. Spellane also served on the boards of directors of the Dale City First Homeowners Association and the Blue Ridge Speech and Hearing Clinic and was active with the Prince William County Democratic Committee and League of Women Voters.

In 1981 she was director of the Dale City Jayceettes. She was honored by radio station WPWC for her fund-raising efforts on behalf of multiple sclerosis research.

Mrs. Spellane was a past member of BelAir Women's Club, served recently as parish secretary for Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Manassas and belonged to Holy Family Catholic Church in Dale City.

She and her husband, a member of the Board of County Supervisors since 1988, marked their 25th wedding anniversary this week. In addition to her husband, she is survived by two daughters, Susan Marie Chapman of Stafford, Va., and Kelly Ann Spellane of Dale City; a son, Michael Sean Spellane of Dale City; and a sister, Frances Loretta Coleman of Marshfield, Mass.


Bank Official

Hazel M. Lutz, 73, a member of the St. Paul United Church of Christ in Lanham and a former assistant manager of the Union Trust Co. branch in Dundalk, Md., died of cancer Nov. 7 at the Greenbelt Nursing Center.

Mrs. Lutz, a resident of Greenbelt, was born in Craigsville, Va. She lived in Dundalk before moving to the Washington area in 1966 and settling in Annandale. She later moved to Greenbelt.

Her husband of 47 years, John W. Lutz, died in 1983.

Survivors include a daughter, Patricia L. Roland of Adelphi; two sisters, Phyllis Howe of Dundalk and Doris A. Young of Waldorf; two grandsons; and a great-granddaughter.



Clara Good Mobley, 76, a licensed practical nurse who had worked for private patients and at Northern Virginia Doctors Hospital, died of a brain tumor Nov. 2 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mrs. Mobley, who lived in Reston, was born in York County, S.C. She moved to this area in 1978 from Staten Island, N.Y.

She had worked as a nurse in this area from 1979 to 1984.

Her husband, James W. Mobley Sr., died in 1953.

Survivors include six sons, William E., James W. and Valuim, all of Gastonia, N.C., Thelno, of Reston, Harold, of Staten Island and Ray, of Temple Hills; six daughters, Bertha Jones of Sterling, Diana Long of Reston, Yvonne Williams of Alexandria, Olene Yarborough of Staten Island, Billie Christian of Deer Park, N.Y., and Wyonia Carter of Dallas, N.C.; 38 grandchildren and 24 great-grandchildren.



Kathryn Todd Warfield, 73, a former resident of Fairfax and Arlington, died Oct. 31 of complications resulting from hepatitis at Scripps Memorial Hospital in La Jolla, Calif.

Mrs. Warfield was born in Alexander, Ga., and grew up in Tampa. She attended Florida State University and graduated from the School of Nursing at Johns Hopkins University.

She was a civilian nurse at hospitals in the United States during World War II.

She lived in the Washington area during World War II and the Korean War, and became a permanent resident of the area in 1953 when her husband, Donald W. Warfield, joined the Central Intelligence Agency. They lived in this area and in Germany, Hawaii and Thailand before he retired in 1977.

They moved from Fairfax to La Jolla after his retirement.

In addition to her husband, survivors include two children, Karyn L. Keese of San Diego and Todd Warfield of Kailua, Hawaii; a brother, Kenneth J. Todd of Columbus, Ga.; and five grandchildren.


Retired State Department Secretary

Bette W. Lowengrube, 75, a secretary with the State Department and the Foreign Service for 17 years, died of cancer Nov. 12 at the Washington Hospice.

She had worked abroad for the Foreign Service from 1967 to 1975 before moving to Washington to work for the State Department.

A native of Waterbury, Conn., Mrs. Lowengrube was for many years a resident of Haddonfield, N.J. At age 52, after rearing a family, she joined the Foreign Service and was posted first to Turkey. Later assignments included Belgium, Bulgaria and Mexico.

She worked here for the State Department's Bureau of Inter-American Affairs' office of regional economic policy until her retirement in 1983.

Mrs. Lowengrube, a resident of Silver Spring, was a volunteer for the American Cancer Society, and taught bridge at the Jewish Community Center of the District of Columbia.

Her husband, Irving Lowengrube, died in 1960. She is survived by her daughter, Elise Lev, of Stamford, Conn.; and two grandchildren.


Special Education Teacher

Phillip Davis, 47, a special education teacher in Calvert County, died of cancer Nov. 14 in Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Oxon Hill.

He had taught in Calvert County for 18 years, most recently at Southern Middle School in Lusby, Md. He started his career in 1966 as a physical education teacher in Huntington, L.I., and began teaching special education in 1972 in Arlington, a year after he moved to this area.

Mr. Davis had a bachelor's degree from Hampton Institute, and a master's degree in special education from Howard University.

He was a member of the Hampton Alumni Association, the Maryland State Teachers Association, the Calvert Education Association and the Concerned Black Educators of Calvert County. For years he served as a coach for the Maryland Special Olympics.

He is survived by his wife, Joyce Davis, and two sons, Phillip H. Davis and Sudani Davis, all of Oxon Hill; his mother, Julia Davis Lane, and his stepfather, Robert Lane, both of White Plains, N.Y.; and a brother, Robert Davis, of Watertown, S.D.