Manfred Gale, 66, retired civilian science adviser to the Joint Chiefs of Staff for research and development, died of cancer Nov. 16 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Gale, who lived in Annandale, was born in Germany. He came to the United States in 1940 and settled in Richmond.

He served in the Army in Europe during World War II, and received three Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart.

After the war Mr. Gale graduated from the University of Virginia with a degree in electrical engineering. He moved to the Washington area in the mid-1950s and received a master's degree in systems analysis from George Washington University.

He worked 20 years as a civilian scientist for the Department of the Army, first as a specialist in detection for the Mobility Command at Fort Belvoir and later at the Pentagon as science adviser to the Joint Chiefs of Staff for research and development. He was given three Distinguished Civilian Service Awards. He retired in the mid-1970s.

In retirement, Mr. Gale had worked on communication command and control systems for the Mitre Corp. in McLean. For the last three years he had been an independent science and engineering consultant to the State Department and other government agencies.

He had served on the technical advisory group that planned Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology and on parks bond committees in Fairfax County.

Mr. Gale was a board member and past president of Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria, where he had helped initiate a program to assist Vietnamese refugees. He was a founder and past president of the Jewish Community Center of Northern Virginia.

He was a runner, and in 1988 completed the Marine Corps Marathon.

Survivors include his wife, Ellen Gale of Annandale; three children, Deborah Caren Gale of Vienna, William Glenn Gale of Los Angeles and Barbara Jean Gale of Alexandria; two brothers, Richard Gale of Detroit and Charles Gale of San Francisco; and three grandchildren.


Navy Captain

Norman William "Pat" Gill, 78, a retired Navy captain who grew up in Washington and who had lived in the Annapolis area since retiring from active duty in 1971, died of cancer Nov. 15 at his home in Arnold, Md.

Capt. Gill, who was born in St. Elmo, Va., came to Washington at an early age. He was a graduate of Eastern High School and Wilson Teachers College. He was an athletic director at area prep schools before entering the Navy and receiving his commission during World War II.

During the war, he served aboard the destroyer-escort Coolbaugh in the Pacific. In the 1950s he was communications officer of the 6th Fleet, and in the 1960s he served as communications officer of the Pacific Fleet and commanded the hydrographic survey ship Rehoboth. His last assignment was as inspector general of the Naval Communication System.

His decorations included the Legion of Merit and the Navy Commendation Medal. In 1975, he became a charter member of the Naval Museum Authority and served on that body until 1982. In recent years he had been active as a sponsor of athletic events at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis and had been active running events in the Annapolis area.

His first marriage, to the former Martha Cox, ended in divorce. His second wife, the former Christina Swan, died in 1963.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Ann Gill, whom he married in 1967 and who lives in Arnold; a son by his first marriage, retired Army Lt. Col. Norman W. Gill Jr. of Fort Bragg, N.C.; a son by his second marriage, Navy Lt. Patrick C. Gill of New London, Conn.; a sister; and two grandchildren.


Northern Virginia Volunteer

Lois McConeghey, 68, a community service volunteer in Northern Virginia and a former teacher, died Nov. 16 of cancer at her home in Alexandria. She had lived there for 14 years, since her husband, Harold McConeghey, retired from the Foreign Service.

Mrs. McConeghey was born in Newton, Iowa, and studied at William Penn College, Iowa State Teachers College and the University of Iowa. She taught in schools in rural Jasper County, Iowa.

After she was married, she taught in international schools in Taipei and Manila from the early 1950s to the early 1960s while her husband was assigned there with the Foreign Service. She also accompanied him to posts in mainland China; Canberra, Australia; Myanmar; and Belgrade.

Mrs. McConeghey was an active volunteer while abroad and in Northern Virginia. She was a home-care and in-patient volunteer with the Hospice of Northern Virginia for seven years. She also served with the United Community Ministries in the Alexandria area and the American Cancer Society.

She was an officer of United Methodist Women and the Mary Circle, and a member of Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Alexandria.

Mrs. McConeghey is survived by her husband of 47 years, of Alexandria; a daughter, Nelljean Rice, of Conway, S.C.; and two sons, David McConeghey of Brooklyn, N.Y., and Kevin McConeghey of Madison, Wis.; a brother, Roger Baldwin of Rock Rapids, Iowa; two sisters, Betty Ratcliff, of Grinnell, Iowa, and Marion Wheeler of Marion, Iowa; and two grandchildren.



Bluford W. Muir, 77, a retired U.S. Forest Service photographer, died of cancer Nov. 15 at his home in Chevy Chase.

Mr. Muir was born in Washington and graduated from Bethesda-Chevy Chase High School.

He began working for the U.S. Forest Service before World War II, then served as a Navy photographer in the Pacific during the war.

He returned to the Forest Service after the war and continued working there until he retired in 1975.

Mr. Muir was a collector of military arms and armor and was a member of the Military Collectors and Historians. He had participated in the reenactment of Civil War battles with the Washington Blue Rifles.

His wife of 42 years, the former Barbara Norcross, died in 1982.

Survivors include two sons, Charles W. Muir of Chevy Chase and Joseph J. Muir of Juneau, Alaska; a brother, Brockett Muir of Chevy Chase; and seven grandchildren.


Printer and Teacher

Steward Henderson, 62, a retired printer and D.C. public school teacher, died of cancer Nov. 13 at the Department of Veterans Affairs Hospital in Washington.

Mr. Henderson was a lifelong resident of Washington and a graduate of Armstrong High School. He had attended several printing trade schools and served in the Army from 1950 to 1952.

He worked as a printer for the U.S. Post Office Department, the Library of Congress, the Treasury Department and the Department of Agriculture before joining the staff of the public school system in 1966. He taught printing at McKinley High School, Lincoln Junior High School and the adult night school at Spingarn High School, and also worked as a printer at Board of Education headquarters. He retired from the school system in 1986.

In the early 1970s, Mr. Henderson had worked as a Washington Post circulation dealer in Northeast Washington and Montgomery and Prince George's counties.

He also had been a partner in two printing companies, William Seward Printing and Eastern Printing and Stationery. Since retiring from the school system, he had operated S. Henderson Co. printing firm.

Survivors include his wife, Delores E.C. Henderson of Washington; five children, Steward T. Henderson, Karen Adams and Kevin Henderson, all of Washington, Sheila McPherson of Landover and William Henderson of Forestville; a brother, Harold Henderson of Washington; two sisters, Helen Dunlop of Washington and Sylvia Gee of Marlow Heights; and seven grandchildren.



Dorothy B. Taylor, 75, a retired drug store and theater cashier, died Nov. 16 at the Washington Home of complications after a stroke.

Mrs. Taylor was born in Washington. She graduated from Dunbar High School and attended Miner Teachers College.

She was a cashier at the Lincoln, Republic and Broadway theaters in Washington in the 1960s and 1970s. Later in the 1970s she was a cashier at Peoples Drug Stores in Washington.

She was a member of the Sodality at St. Benedict the Moor Catholic Church in Washington and Young at Heart, a senior citizens organization in the River Terrace community of Northeast Washington.

Her husband, Clarence Taylor, died Sept. 27. Survivors include three children, Reginald Taylor of Lanham, Kenneth Taylor of Forestville and LaVerne Saleh of Washington; a sister, Gertrude Braxton of Washington; and seven grandchildren.