William Edward Martin, 77, the proprietor of the W. Curtis Draper tobacco shop at 640 14th St. NW in downtown Washington, died of a heart attack Nov. 16 at George Washington University Hospital.

Mr. Martin, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Esmont, Va. He moved to Washington as a boy, and began working for the Draper store, which was founded in 1887, while attending Eastern High School. He later went to the old Wilson Teachers College, and he received bachelor's and master's degrees in business from Strayer College. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

In 1946, Mr. Martin purchased the Draper company. The business was located at 507 11th St. NW until March 1989, when it moved to the 14th Street location. Its customers over the years included President Gerald Ford, who sent his pipes to Draper to be repaired.

Mr. Martin was a past president of the National Retail Tobacco Dealers of America and the Tobacco Association of America.

Survivors include his wife, Frances T. Martin of Alexandria, whom he married in 1960, and two sisters, Edith Stamper of Springfield and Irene Adams of California, Md.


Retired Carpenter

Leopold Istvan, 78, a retired carpenter and former chief of the Hughesville Volunteer Fire Department, died Nov. 15 of cancer at Physicians Memorial Hospital in La Plata.

A native of Roebling, N.J., Mr. Istvan moved with his parents back to their native Yugoslavia when he was 2 years old and returned to this country when he was 16. He moved to Charles County when he was 20.

He worked as a carpenter in home building until he retired with a disability about 15 years ago. Mr. Istvan had served in the Army during World War II and was wounded in Belgium in the Battle of the Ardennes.

He was a charter member of the volunteer fire department and served as chief in the mid-1950s. He was also a charter member of the Jameson-Harrison American Legion Post 238 in Hughesville, and a past commander.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy Istvan of Hughesville; five daughters, Elizabeth Therres of Hughesville, Dorothy Gibson of Bushwood, Md., Barbara Marshall of Clinton, Rose McPherson of Hughesville, and Shirley Albarado of Waldorf; a brother, Joseph, of Port St. Lucie, Fla.; 13 grandchildren; and 16 great-grandchildren.


Housing Executive

Rhond Rudolph Roth, 38, vice president of the National Multi Housing Council, an association representing residential real estate developers, died of pancreatitis Nov. 16 at Washington Hospital Center.

Mr. Roth, who lived in Clifton, was born in Asheville, N.C., and grew up in Atlanta. He graduated from Emory University and the University of Georgia law school.

He moved to the Washington area in 1976 and worked in private practice, on the staffs of several trade associations and for the International Trade Commission.

About four years ago, he became deputy regulatory counsel for the National Association of Home Builders and served in that capacity for two years before joining the staff of the National Multi Housing Council. He was a specialist in fair housing and environmental issues.

Survivors include his wife, Joan Roth, and a daughter, Kristina Roth, both of Clifton; his mother, Pauline Roth of Atlanta; and a brother, John Roth of Los Angeles.


Rendering Company Owner

Howard Rand Norton, 69, former owner and operator of an area rendering business, died of cancer Nov. 16 at his home in Potomac.

Mr. Norton was the fourth generation of his family to own the Norton & Co. rendering plant in Alexandria. He joined the business in 1946 and became its head in 1965. He sold it and retired in 1979.

He had served on the national board of the National Renderers Association and was a 1968 recipient of its Distinguished Service Award. He also was a member of the Fats and Protein Research Foundation.

Mr. Norton, who was born in Washington, was a graduate of Roosevelt High School and George Washington University. He served with the Navy in the southwest Pacific during World War II.

A past member of Del Ray Baptist Church in Alexandria, he belonged to the Langley Hill Friends Meeting in McLean for the last 18 years.

His wife, Barbara, died in 1989. Survivors include two sons, Randy, of McLean, and Dan, of Staunton; a daughter, Candace Norton of Atlanta; a brother, Raymond Jr., of Purcellville; a sister, Margaret Bell Miles of Annapolis; and five grandchildren.


Equipment Operator

Blease Cole Mundy, 80, an equipment operator who worked for the D.C. government for 47 years before retiring in 1986 from the Public Works Department, died Nov. 14 at the Washington Hospital Center. He had an aneurysm.

He began his career with the D.C. Transportation Department in 1939. Over the years he drove 18-wheeler trucks and bulldozers. He earned several District Outstanding Service and Safe Driving awards for never having an accident on the job.

Mr. Mundy, who lived in Washington, was born in South Carolina. He came here in 1925 and was a truck driver with Merchant trucking before joining the District.

He was a past member of Mount Jezreel Baptist Church in Washington, where he belonged to the drama club. He had been a member of Southern Baptist Church in Washington since 1930. His marriage to Catherine Louise Mundy ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Annette, of Washington; a daughter by his first marriage, Lula Mundy-Sanderlin of Washington; a stepdaughter, Erma Bailey of Washington; a brother, Rufus, of Hyattsville; two sisters, Carrie M. Parker and Beatrice M. Curry, both of Washington; a granddaughter; four step-granddaughters; and three step-great-grandchildren.