The obituary Monday on retired Navy Capt. Harold D. Fuller misidentified his wife. She is Ruth Cooper Fuller. (Published 11/21/90)

Merrell Whittlesey, 75, a longtime sports reporter and columnist for The Washington Post and the old Washington Star, died Nov. 17 at Holy Cross Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Kensington.

During a career that spanned some 40 years, he covered a variety of sports and teams, including baseball's Baltimore Orioles and the old Washington Senators. He also covered some great football and basketball teams at the University of Maryland. But he may be best remembered as one of this city's best golf reporters and columnists.

A highly respected and diligent craftsman, Mr. Whittlesey was the recipient of numerous writing awards and had contributed articles to national sports magazines. He was a contributor to Golf Journal and the Florida Golfer.

In 1960, he was named D.C. sportswriter of the year by the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters of America, and also won the Washington-Baltimore Newspaper Guild's Front Page Award for sports news. The day of his death, he was to have received another career award at the Country Club of Virginia in Richmond.

But perhaps Mr. Whittlesey's favorite award came in 1959 when writers and golfers of the area golfing community honored him with a testimonial dinner and a free trip to Scotland for him and and his wife. This enabled him to play many of Scotland's most historic golf courses.

He was a past president of the Atlantic Coast Sportswriters Association and the Golf Writers Association. He was an honorary life member of the Baseball Writers of America.

Mr. Whittlesey began his newspaper career at The Post, where he started as a copy boy while attending high school and then became a sports reporter before World War II. During the war, he served first in the Army infantry in Italy and later worked on the Stars & Stripes service newspaper.

After the war, Mr. Whittlesey joined the Star in 1946. He came to specialize in golf before taking over the baseball beat in the early 1960s. He also wrote a golf column for many years.

He became one of the area's outstanding baseball writers, covering the "new" Senators from their birth as an American League expansion team in 1961 until they left town to become the Texas Rangers in 1971. He then covered the Baltimore Orioles until he retired from the Star in 1979.

In addition to covering the Orioles, he was a regular official game scorer. He continued to do this after his retirement from full-time reporting, scoring his last games this past season.

Mr. Whittlesey was a native of Washington and graduated from Silver Spring High School.

His hobbies included golf. He was a member of Manor Country Club, where he was in charge of the monthly newsletter.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia, of Kensington; a son, Tony, of Charlottesville; a daughter, Pam Fitzpatrick of Richmond; two brothers, Robert and Alan, of Silver Spring; and five grandchildren.


Government Management Analyst

Charles Bogart Myers, 70, a retired government management analyst who was active in groups for the blind, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 18 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Myers, who went blind after a stroke in 1985, had been active in the Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind in Washington. He had served as a participating member of the advisory board of the Iona House Day Health Center in Washington and also had been active in work at the Support Center in Wheaton.

He came to Washington and began his government career in 1950. Over the next nine years, he worked for the Interior Department, the Housing and Home Finance Agency and the Agriculture Department. From 1959 to 1961, he served in Saigon with the Michigan State University advisory group to the Vietnamese health department.

He returned here and rejoined the government in 1961. Until retiring in 1978, he worked for the National Institutes of Health, first in the office of the Institutes' director and then as management analysis officer for the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases.

Mr. Myers had done volunteer work for the Smithsonian Institution's National Portrait Gallery and for the Continental Association of Memorial Societies, a group that advocates low-cost funerals. He was a past treasurer of the Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, the former Evelyn Stephenson, who lives in Silver Spring; two daughters, Cynthia M. Marquardt of Cheverly and Meredith M. Ballard of Derwood, Md.; a brother, Frederick B., of Huntington, W.Va.; and four grandchildren.


Navy Captain

Harold Douglas Fuller, 78, a retired Navy captain who later spent a decade as a civilian Defense employee before retiring again in 1976, died Nov. 18 at his home in Alexandria. He had emphysema.

Capt. Fuller was a native of Madison, Wis., and a 1934 graduate of the Naval Academy at Annapolis. Before World War II, he served aboard destroyers and battleships.

In the war's early days, he served aboard the carrier Wasp in the Mediterranean. Later in the war, he was executive officer of a destroyer in the North Atlantic, then commanded a destroyer in the Southwest Pacific.

After the war, his assignments included a tour on the famed battleship Missouri. From 1950 to 1961, he devoted most of his career to command and staff posts in the Navy's amphibious warfare program, participating in the 1958 landings in Lebanon. He was stationed in London when he retired from active duty in 1964.

He spent the next two years in Virginia Beach. In 1966, he moved here and settled in Alexandria. He worked for the Navy's manpower validation program and the Naval Oceanographic Office. He retired from the Defense Mapping Agency, where he was head of the department that includes the map library.

Survivors include his wife, Virginia, whom he married in 1937 and who lives in Alexandria; two sons, James D., of Atlanta, and Richard W., of Seattle; two daughters, Laura Bates and Marcia Hamilton, both of London; and nine grandchildren.



Klotha Isabelle Spriggs Clifford Outten, 82, a teacher and principal in the D.C. public school system from 1928 until 1968, when she retired as principal of Bryant Elementary School, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 2 at a nursing home in Blythe, Calif.

Mrs. Outten was born in Washington, and she lived in the city until moving to California in 1987. She graduated from Dunbar High School, the old Miner Teachers College and Howard University. She received a master's degree in education from New York University.

She was a member of the Phi Delta Kappa education sorority and a past president of the Washington Bridge Unit, a bridge club.

Her first husband, Thomas Edward Clifford Jr., died in 1937. Her second husband, William Acy Outten, died in 1973. Survivors include a son by her first marriage, retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Thomas Edward Clifford of Blythe; an adopted son, retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Charles Brandom Jiggetts of Clifton, Va.; a sister, Antoinette Spriggs Griffin of Washington; five grandchildren; and one great-grandchild.


Registered Nurse

Kathryn R. Dodds "Kit" House, 52, a registered nurse who had served on the staff at Georgetown University Hospital since 1979, died of cancer Nov. 16 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia. She lived in Oakton.

Mrs. House, who came here in 1962, was a native of St. Paul, Minn. She attended the University of Minnesota and graduated from Northern Virginia Community College with a nursing degree.

Survivors include her husband of 28 years, James, of Oakton; two daughters, Genise N. Jerman of Manasass and Teresa M. House of Orlando, Fla.; her mother, Eleanor S. Dodds of Oakton; a brother, Larry Dodds of Eagan, Minn.; and two grandchildren.