George M. Lohnes, 82, a retired consulting engineer who represented radio and television stations before the Federal Communications Commission, died Nov. 20 at Montgomery General Hospital. He had a stroke.

In 1944, Mr. Lohnes helped found the firm of Lohnes & Culver, and he retired from it in 1978. The company helps broadcasters prepare the technical side of license applications to the FCC. This could include new or changed facilities, frequency allocations, antenna design or related matters of broadcast engineering.

Mr. Lohnes was a member of the Association of Federal Communications Consulting Engineers, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, the Washington chapter of Broadcast Pioneers and Theta Tau, a professional organization.

A native of Dayton, Ohio, Mr. Lohnes moved to Washington in 1931. He graduated from George Washington University, where he also received a master's degree in engineering. He lived in Damascus.

He was a private pilot and a member of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.

Survivors include his wife of 61 years, Sara H. Lohnes of Damascus; three children, Sara Ann Schneider of Rockville, Marilyn Lohnes of Damascus and George M. Lohnes Jr. of San Clemente, Calif.; a sister, Mabel Sanders of Dayton; six grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Foreign Service Officer

Herbert Spielman, 70, a retired Foreign Service Officer and a former president of B'nai B'rith of the National Capital Area, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 16 at Holy Cross Hospital.

Dr. Spielman, who lived in Chevy Chase, was born in Bayonne, N.J. He graduated from City College of New York, served in the Army in the Pacific during World War II, then received a doctorate in history from the University of Chicago.

He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and began working in the historical office of the State Department. He transferred to the Foreign Service and served in Paris, Bangkok and Brussels in addition to several assignments in Washington. He retired in 1980, but continued to work for the State Department part-time.

Dr. Spielman had taught occasionally at George Mason University.

He was a former president of the John F. Kennedy lodge of B'nai B'rith.

Survivors include his wife, Sally Sweet Spielman of Chevy Chase; two daughters, Terry Brazell of Vallejo, Calif., and Elena Lowe of Albuquerque; and two grandchildren.


Army Doctor

Ernest A. Brav, 86, an Army physician who retired as a colonel, died of congestive heart disease Nov. 18 at his home in Bethesda.

Col. Brav was born in Philadelphia. He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania, where he also received a medical degree, and he did specialized training in orthopedic surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn.

From 1933 to 1942, he practiced medicine in Philadelphia. He then served as an Army physician in India during World War II.

After the war, he served two years at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Louisville, then returned to active duty. He was chief of orthopedic surgery at Army hospitals in Honolulu, San Francisco, Germany and Tacoma, Wash. He also served two tours of duty at Walter Reed Army Hospital in Washington, from 1953 to 1956 and from 1962 until he retired in 1964 as chief of orthopedic service. He was an orthopedic consultant to the Surgeon General of the Army.

In retirement, Col. Brav was an orthopedic consultant to the bureau of hearings and appeals of the Social Security Administration, assistant to the editor of the Journal of Bones and Joint Surgery and, from 1967 to 1983, editor of Military Medicine, the journal of the Association of Military Surgeons of the United States.

He had written articles for medical publications, chiefly on the subject of muscular skeletal trauma.

Col. Brav was a member of the American College of Surgeons, the American Board of Orthopedic Surgery, the American Orthopedic Association and the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons. He taught at the medical schools of Georgetown and George Washington universities.

His marriage to Gloria Rosenthal ended in divorce. His second wife, Mary Brav, died in the early 1960s.

Survivors include his wife of 26 years, the former Elizabeth Sturdevant of Bethesda; a daughter of his first marriage, Jill Weintraub of Huntingdon Valley, Pa.; and a daughter of his second marriage, Susan Savy of South Africa.



James Patrick Smith, 30, a political fund-raiser for Democratic Party candidates, died Nov. 9 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Smith was born in Farmington, Conn., and graduated from Georgetown University.

For the last two years, he had managed his own political fund-raisng firm, James P. Smith and Associates. In 1986 and 1987, he was national finance director for Sen. Lloyd Bentsen (D-Tex.) and from 1983 to 1986, he worked for the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee.

Mr. Smith was a member of Dignity, a gay Catholic organization.

Survivors include his companion of seven years, Nicholas Mattera Jr. of Washington; his parents, Irene and Howard Smith, and a brother, Stephen Smith, all of Farmington.


VA Counsel

Norman C. Paulson, 70, retired assistant general counsel of the Veterans Administration, died of cancer Nov. 19 at his home in Mitchellville.

Mr. Paulson was born in Wallace, S.D. He graduated from Augsberg College in Minneapolis. He served in the Army Air Forces in England during World War II, then came to Washington and received a law degree from George Washington University's law school.

He later studied at the Universities of Oslo, Heidelberg and Geneva, then returned to the Washington area. He was an FBI special agent and a lawyer in private practice before joining the staff of the VA about 1970. He retired in 1985.

His marriage to Liselotte Paulson ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Paulson of Mitchellville; five children of his first marriage, Arne Paulson and Lilly Paulson, both of Washington, Eric Paulson of Richmond, Andrina Lebeck of Winchester, Va., and Marie Louise Sullivan of New York City; three stepchildren, Sharon Oed of Walkersville, Md., Pamela Simmons of Mitchellville and Brainard L. Janicki of Minneapolis; a sister, Mettie Johnson of Anaheim, Calif.; and four brothers, Arnold Paulson of Bismark, N.D., Leonard Paulson of Clark, S.D., Palmer Paulson of Wallace, S.D. and Melvin Paulson of Minneapolis.


Inn Owner

J. Frank Raley Sr., 86, retired owner and operator of the South Ridge restaurant and inn in Ridge, Md., who served as a St. Mary's County commissioner from 1946 to 1949, died Nov. 17 at St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown after a heart attack.

Mr. Raley, who lived on a farm in Scotland, Md., was born in Baltimore and grew up in St. Mary's County. He operated his restaurant and inn from the early 1930s until 1965. It is still in his family.

He was a Democrat and was active in state politics. He was known for the annual political breakfast he gave in May.

He was a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Ridge.

His wife, the former Ruth Zimmerly, died in 1979. Survivors inlcude a son, J. Frank Jr., of St. Mary's City; a daughter, Ruth Fallon of Ridge; a sister, Alice Dunbar Raley of Scotland; nine grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.


DEA Investigator

Allen Scott Yarbrough, 64, a retired special investigator with the Drug Enforcement Administration, died of a heart attack Nov. 18 at his home in Fairfax City.

Mr. Yarbrough retired in 1981 after seven years as an internal affairs investigator at DEA. He had lived in this area since 1974.

A native of Fort Valley, Ga., Mr. Yarbrough attended Emory University. He served in the Navy during World War II and the Air Force during the Korean War.

From 1954 to 1974, Mr. Yarbrough was stationed in Miami as an agent for what is now the U.S. Customs Service.

He was president of the Yarbrough National Genealogical and Historical Association and a member of the Mended Hearts, an organization of heart surgery patients. He also was a Mason and a former member of the Centreville Lions Club.

He is survived, by his wife, Helen L. Yarbrough of Fairfax City; two children, Scott Allen Yarbrough of Fairfax City and Patricia Yarbrough Bailey of Centreville; a brother, Lewis L. Yarbrough of Seattle, Wash.; five sisters, Ann Y. Arrington of Lithonia, Ga., Elizabeth Y. Baker of Griffin, Ga., Virginia Y. Coley of Thomaston, Ga., Mary Y. Fant of Fairfax City, and Reva Y. Rice of Decatur, Ga.; and a granddaughter.


Casino Employee

Michael Richard Sullivan, 36, a former Silver Spring resident and a floor supervisor at Caesars Tahoe, died of cancer Nov. 17 at his home in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.

Mr. Sullivan was born in Sioux City, Iowa, and grew up there and in Burma, Hong Kong and South Korea, where his father was posted with the United States Information Agency.

The family moved to the Washington area in the late 1960s, and he graduated from Springbrook High School in 1971 and from the University of Maryland in 1975.

Since then, he had worked at resorts in Aspen, Colo., and LaCosta, Calif., and for the last 10 years at Caesars Tahoe.

Survivors include his companion of two years, Mara Wheat of South Lake Tahoe; his mother, Arlene Sullivan of Silver Spring; and a sister, Sue Sullivan of Vero Beach, Fla.


Sales Executive

Joseph P. Bachman, 85, a retired government sales manager for General Electric Co., died Nov. 19 at Montgomery General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Bachman, who lived in Leisure World in Silver Spring, was born in Allentown, Pa. He graduated from Lehigh University and worked for General Electric in Philadelphia before moving to the Washington area in 1940. He retired in 1970.

Survivors include his wife, Catharine "Aff" Bachman of Leisure World; three children, Joseph P. Bachman III of Gaithersburg, John D. Bachman of San Francisco and Cathy Irwin of Bowie; and three grandchildren.


Lifelong Area Resident

Mildred E. Guigon, 87, a native of Fairfax and a former resident of Washington, died of cancer Nov. 3 at the Heritage Hall health care center in Leesburg.

Mrs. Guigon moved to Leesburg in 1985 after the death of her husband, Gordon P. Guigon.

She leaves no immediate survivors.