Philip M. Landrum, 83, a Georgia Democrat who served 24 years in the House of Representatives and helped to write the 1959 Landrum-Griffin Act that gave government officials increased powers to regulate labor union affairs, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 19 at Pickins General Hospital in Jasper, Ga.

Mr. Landrum was elected to the House in 1952, and served until he retired in 1977 as dean of Georgia's 10-member House delegation. He was a key figure in the coalition of southern Democrats that exercised a major influence on legislative affairs on Capitol Hill for decades, although he generally was regarded as more flexible and liberal than many of his colleagues.

In 1964 he was floor manager in the House for the legislation that financed and set in motion President Johnson's anti-poverty program, one of the major legislative priorities of the administration.

But he was best remembered for his co-authorship with then Rep. Robert P. Griffin (R-Mich.) of the Landrum-Griffin Act, which was intended to cut down on labor union abuses and racketeering. The legislation, vehemently opposed by labor leaders who called it an unnecessary government intrusion into union affairs, required periodic reporting to the secretary of labor on union finances, the finances of union officials and their families, and loans or payments made by unions to consultants, employers or employees.

It also gave union members greater control over union dues, required secret balloting in the election of union officers and barred unions from picketing plants represented by other unions. It was enacted by a heavily Democratic Congress with the support of the Eisenhower administration and a coalition of Republicans and Southern Democrats.

A native of Stephens County, Ga., Mr. Landrum attended Mercer University and Louisiana State University, and graduated from Atlanta Law School. During the 1930s, he taught school and coached football and eventually was superintendent of schools in Nelson County, Ga.

He served in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II, then after the war served as an assistant attorney general of Georgia, executive secretary to Gov. M.E. Thompson and then as a lawyer in private practice.

He came to Congress as a representative of Georgia's 9th District, an area in the northeast corner of the state that includes the southernmost ridges of the Appalachian Mountains, the western suburbs of Chattanooga, Tenn., and the textile manufacturing counties of the upland Piedmont region.

He served on the Ways and Means Committee and the Education and Labor Committee, for which he was chairman of the education subcommittee that wrote the Library Services Act, which included the establishment of bookmobile services to rural areas.

In 1971, Mr. Landrum switched from hawk to dove on the issue of the war in Vietnam, surprising some of his colleagues and constituents. But overall, he maintained a strongly conservative voting record.

A chicken farmer in Jasper, Ga., Mr. Landrum was known for his support of poultry and cotton. He was a leader of the unofficial House committee on textiles and was one of the premier backers of protectionist import quotas while serving on the Ways and Means Committee.

Survivors include his wife, Laura Brown Landrum of Jasper; and two children, Susan Landrum and Philip M. Landrum Jr.


AEC Congressional Liaison

Robert Daniel O'Neill, 77, retired congressional liaison at the former Atomic Energy Commission, died of cancer Nov. 20 at his home in Kensington.

Mr. O'Neill joined the AEC here in 1948, in its office of special projects. He later worked for the division of biology and medicine and was appointed director of the Office of Congressional Relations in 1967. Until his retirement in 1974, he worked on behalf of the AEC with Congress, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, the White House and industry.

A native of Ogden, Utah, Mr. O'Neill worked in family businesses there until World War II. During the war he served in the Navy as a chief pharmacist's mate in the Pacific, where he was in the Battle of Guadalcanal, and in the Mediterranean. He was awarded the Bronze Star and Purple Heart.

Mr. O'Neill received a degree in business administration from George Washington University in 1951.

Since his retirement he was active at Holy Redeemer Catholic Church in Kensington, where he was a lay minister.

Mr. O'Neill is survived by his wife, Eileen O'Neill, of Kensington; a daughter, Mary O'Neill of Gaithersburg; five sons, Terence O'Neill, of Hampstead, Md., Joseph O'Neill, of Germantown, Patrick O'Neill and Gerald O'Neill, both of Brookeville, and Stephen O'Neill, of Kensington; two brothers, John, of Spokane, Wash., and Edward O'Neill of Merrill, Ore.; two sisters, Catherine Shaw of Ogden, and Margaret O'Neill of Victoria, British Columbia; and a grandson.


Electrical Engineer

Thomas A. Roeder II, 32, a former electrical engineer for the Vitro Corp., died Nov. 19 at Curtis White House in Washington of complications associated with AIDS. He was a resident of Manassas.

He had lived in this area for four years and had worked for Vitro until illness forced his retirement six months ago.

A native of Cincinnati, Mr. Roeder had served in the Navy for more than four years.

As an activist in Prince William County, Mr. Roeder's three-year struggle with the disease and his efforts on behalf of AIDS patients had been documented in several local newspapers. His successful campaign to bring services to patients in the county won him a certificate of appreciation from the county government this year.

Mr. Roeder was a member of the board of directors of Inter-Faith Care Givers of Prince William County. He sang with the Gay Men's Chorus of Washington and was on its board.

He was also a member of the Prince William Gay and Lesbian Association and the Prince William Community Theater.

Mr. Roeder is survived by his father, Thomas A. Roeder, and a sister, Peggy Hutchinson, both of Cincinnati.



Ralph Gorrell Burnsides, 65, a former stereotyper for the Washington Star who later worked as a maintenance man for the Washington Times, died of cancer Nov. 14 at Halifax Medical Center in Daytona Beach, Fla.

Mr. Burnsides was born in Greensboro, N.C. He moved to the Washington area in 1950 and worked 25 years as a stereotyper at the Star before the newspaper folded in 1981. Later he worked for seven years at the Washington Times.

A former resident of Camp Springs, he moved to Port Orange, Fla., last month.

Survivors include his wife of 39 years, Betty Slack Burnsides of Port Orange; two children, Ralph G. Burnsides Jr. of Orlando, Fla., and Evelyn Murphy of Temple Hills; a brother, Kenneth P. Burnsides of Elden, Mo.; a sister, Regina Moore of Bowie; and a grandson.