Joseph C. Satterthwaite, 90, a retired diplomat whose posts included director general of the Foreign Service and assistant secretary of state, as well as ambassadorships to three countries, died of pneumonia Nov. 19 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Ambassador Satterthwaite began his diplomatic career in 1924 as a Foreign Service clerk at the U.S. consulate in Stuttgart, Germany. Before World War II, he served in Mexico, Argentina and Iraq.

During the war, he was first secretary of the U.S. Embassy in Turkey and charge' d'affaires in Damascus, Syria. After the war, he returned here as assistant chief of State's Near Eastern Affairs Division. He later became director of the Office of Near Eastern, South Asian and African Affairs.

In 1949, he was appointed ambassador to Ceylon. He later served in Tangier, Morocco, and as ambassador to Burma before becoming director general of the Foreign Service in 1957. In the late 1950s, he became the first assistant secretary of state for African affairs. In 1961, he was named U.S. ambassador to South Africa. He retired from the Foreign Service in 1965.

After that, he was a consultant to NASA, the Rand Corp. and Youth for Understanding. He had been president of the Diplomatic and Consular Officers Retired organization. He also was a member of the American Academy for Diplomacy and the Metropolitan Club. He was a lifelong Quaker.

Ambassador Satterthwaite, who lived in Washington, was a native of Tecumseh, Mich. He was a graduate of the University of Michigan, where he also received a master's degree in political science. The university awarded him an honorary doctorate of law in 1958.

During World War I, he served in the Army in Europe and was injured by poison gas.

Survivors include his wife of 45 years, the former Leyla Ilbars, of Washington; a daughter, Ruth S. Hartmann of Bethesda; and two grandsons.


Reader's Digest Editor

David E. Reed, 63, a roving editor with the Reader's Digest who reported from more than 100 countries and covered a dozen wars, died of cancer Nov. 23 at Middle Peninsula Hospital in Gloucester, Va.

Mr. Reed, a resident of Wicomico Church, Va., and a former resident of Annapolis, was born in Chicago. He graduated from the University of Chicago and began his journalism career with the City News Service in Chicago. He later joined the Chicago Daily News.

He learned Swahili during a two-year fellowship to Kenya during the Mau Mau insurgency of the 1950s that led to the independence of that country. In the late 1950s, he was a reporter for U.S. News & World Report in the Congo, now Zaire, during its post-independence civil war.

Mr. Reed joined Reader's Digest in 1964. At different times while traveling the globe, he was based in New York, Connecticut and Florida. He lived in Annapolis from 1977 to 1986, when he moved to Wicomico Church. During his career, he also covered wars in Vietnam, Angola, Nicaragua and Cambodia and several conflicts elsewhere in the world.

He wrote two books, "One Hundred and Eleven Days in Stanleyville," about the Congo, and "Up Front in Vietnam." His last story for Reader's Digest is called "Sunken Treasure," about recovering the cargo of a ship laden with gold that went down off the Carolinas in 1857. It is scheduled to appear in the December issue.

Mr. Reed was a sailor and a member of the Great Wicomico Cruising Club.

His marriage to Marie Reed ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Irene M. Reed of Wicomico Church; three daughters, Sharon Pettit Abboud of Alexandria, Camille Ann Cooper of Annapolis and Juliet Reed of De Land, Fla.; three stepchildren, Tracy Leigh Whitaker and E. Brooke Whitaker, both of Mitchellville, and Lindsay Paige Whitaker of College Park; and a sister, Carol Leverenz of Dallas.


Navy Officer

Carl Wells Rusteberg, 76, a retired Navy lieutenant commander who specialized in photographic research and intelligence, died of heart ailments Nov. 21 at his home in Gaithersburg.

Cmdr. Rusteberg was born in Annapolis. He graduated from Annapolis High School and Western Maryland College, where he was on the football and boxing teams.

He taught in the fine arts department at Goucher College before joining the Navy in 1941. During World War II, he served aboard the light carrier Belleau Wood and the escort carrier Santee in the Pacific, where he was administrative officer of fighter squadrons.

Later assignments included staff duty in Norfolk, the Navy's photography school in Pensacola, Fla., and service as a photographic officer in Taiwan. He received a master's degree in photogrammetry from the University of Southern California while serving in the Navy.

He retired from the Navy in 1962 after serving in the Navy's photographic center in Washington.

Cmdr. Rusteberg then worked as a systems analyst for Documentation Inc., LEASCO and Informatics Inc., specializing in research for the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. He retired in 1976.

Cmdr. Rusteberg was a member of the Association of Former Intelligence Officers and the Retired Officers Association.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Barbara Rusteberg, and a daughter, Barbara Wells Willis, both of Gaithersburg; a brother, Robert Rusteberg of Annapolis; a sister, Betty Jean Higman of Pittsburgh; and a grandson.