In the obituary of Schuyler T. Eldridge Jr. yesterday, a surviving son was listed incorrectly. He is Schuyler T. Eldridge III. (Published 11/28/90)

Capt. Charles A. Bartholomew, 50, director of ocean engineering for the Navy and supervisor of its salvage and diving operations, died Nov. 15 during a diving recertification exercise in the Gulf of Mexico, about 40 miles southwest of Panama City, Fla.

Capt. Bartholomew, a Navy diver for 22 years, disappeared from sight in 200 feet of water, witnesses told authorities. His body was recovered Nov. 17, but the cause of death has not been determined, a Navy Department spokesman said.

Assigned to Washington since 1985, Capt. Bartholomew, known as "Black Bart," headed the Navy's recovery efforts after the explosion of the space shuttle Challenger. During his career, he helped recover 18 ships and several aircraft. He also directed Navy participation in the cleanup of the Exxon Valdez oil spill off the coast of Alaska. More than half the recovered oil was collected by the Navy during that operation.

Capt. Bartholomew, who lived in Arlington, was a native of Long Beach, Calif. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1961, and from the Webb Institute of Naval Architecture in 1968. He also attended the Navy Deep Sea Diving School.

Before coming to the Washington area, he was ship superintendent and naval district salvage officer at the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. He also served as a repair and diving officer in Southeast Asian waters during the Vietnam War. He commanded the Navy Experimental Diving Unit at Panama City and managed fleet maintenance funding at Pearl Harbor for the Pacific fleet.

Capt. Bartholomew recently completed a history of marine salvage for the Navy entitled "Mud, Muscle and Miracles."

Survivors include his wife, Donna Bartholomew of Springfield; three daughters, Susan Bartholomew of Springfield, Teri Bartholomew of Centreville and Lisa Turner of Lafayette, Colo.; a son, Cris, of San Mateo, Calif.; and his father, Al Bartholomew of Long Beach.


Trade Group Counsel

Craig Ulrich, 39, vice president and general counsel of the Consumer Bankers Association, who lived in Alexandria, died Nov. 23 at a hospital in Kilmarnock, Va.

Capt. Charles R. Spindle, of the Northumberland Rescue Squad, said Mr. Ulrich was visiting in-laws at their home in Reedville, Va., when he was accidentally struck Nov. 23 by a falling tree on their property. He said Mr. Ulrich was taken by the rescue squad to Rappahannock General Hospital.

Mr. Ulrich, who moved here in 1983, was born in Evanston, Ill. He was an honors graduate of the University of Virginia and a graduate of Temple University law school. He worked in banking in Philadelphia before moving here.

He spent about a year with the Washington law firm of McKenna, Conner & Cuneo before joining the Consumer Bankers Association, an Arlington-based trade group, in 1984. He was named general counsel in 1987 and vice president a year later.

Mr. Ulrich also had been an adjunct professor at Catholic University law school, where he taught consumer banking law. He had served on the American Bar Association's consumer financial services law committee.

Survivors include his wife, Kandis A., and a son, James W., both of Alexandria; and his parents, Warren and Joan Ulrich of Forty Fort, Pa.



Ira Glackens, 83, a writer who lived in the Washington area for 30 years before moving to West Virginia in 1988, died of cancer Nov. 23 at his home in Shepherdstown, W.Va.

He was the author of biographies, histories, novels and a privately published volume of poetry. He may be best known for the 1957 book "William Glackens and the Ashcan Group," which was the story of his father and other painters of the Ashcan school.

His other books included a biography of Lillian Nordica, "Yankee Diva and the Golden Age of Opera"; "Pope Joan: the English Girl Who Made It," which compiled the legends about a female pope; and the novel "A Measure of Sliding Sand." He also wrote magazine and encyclopedia articles on music, theater and horticulture.

Mr. Glackens, a former resident of Georgetown, was a native of New York City. He had posed for his father and later donated some of his father's paintings to the National Gallery, White House and various museums.

He studied painting under Robert Henri and George Luks. He served in the Coast Guard during World War II.

His wife of more than 50 years, the former Anne H. "Nancy" Middlebrook, died in June. He leaves no immediate survivors.



Mae D. Silbergeld, 66, a space physicist and computer scientist who worked for private firms contributing to the space program, died of cardiac arrest Nov. 22 at Bethesda Naval Hospital. She lived in Garrett Park.

Mrs. Silbergeld came to the Washington area in 1968. She was a computer programmer-analyst with Thomas A. Larson Associates in Rockville in 1969 and 1970. She spent the next 13 years working in Silver Spring with Computer Sciences Corp., where she became deputy director of science and applications operations.

Since 1983, she had worked in Lanham for S.T. Systems Corp., which does contract work for NASA. She managed the space sciences and extraterrestrial science departments.

Mrs. Silbergeld was an authority in radio astonomy, stratospheric modeling, and magnetic and radio, atmospheric and particle physics.

A 1945 graduate of the University of Dayton in her native Ohio, she received a master's degree in physics from the University of Illinois. From 1946 to 1954, she taught physics at the University of Illinois's Chicago campus, then at North Carolina State University. She was a research physicist with the Public Health Service in Cincinnati from 1954 to 1956. She was a research physicist at Stanford University from 1966 to 1968.

Mrs. Silbergeld was a member of Holy Cross Catholic Church in Garrett Park. She was the author of technical papers and reports and belonged to the American Geophysical Union.

Survivors include her husband of 38 years, Sam Silbergeld of Garrett Park; a son, Daniel L. Silbergeld of Seattle; three daughters, Sandra S. Silbergeld of Rockville and Janet L. Silbergard and Nancy S. Jecker, both of Seattle; her mother, Jennie Driscoll of Beavercreek, Ohio; two sisters, Julie Stockman of Dayton and Ruth Hallman of Beavercreek; two brothers, Glen Driscoll of Fresno, Calif., and Carl Driscoll of Lathrup Village, Mich.; and two grandchildren.


State Department Official

Robert Martin McKisson, 82, a retired deputy director of the State Department's Eastern European affairs division, died of cancer Nov. 17 at his home in Rockville.

Mr. McKisson, who retired in 1972, joined the State Department in 1943. His first job involved reorganizing the department's bibliographic systems. He devoted the rest of his career to Washington posts involving Hungary and the Balkans.

Among the problems he helped address was the fate of Cardinal Josef Mindszenty, the Catholic primate of Hungary, an avowed foe of communism who lived in an American diplomatic mission in Budapest from 1956 until leaving for Rome in 1971. He also was involved in the disputes surrounding the longtime American custody of the Hungarian crown jewels.

Mr. McKisson, who came to the Washington area in the early 1940s, was a native of Cleveland. He was a magna cum laude graduate of Miami University of Ohio, where he was elected to Phi Beta Kappa, and he received a master's degree in history from Columbia University.

During the Depression, he worked for the Works Progress Administration on library programs in Ohio. Also in the 1930s, he wrote a column on international affairs for a Cleveland firm and was affiliated with the Voice of China Quarterly, where he was an editor and contributor.

Mr. McKisson was a member of the Academy of Political Science, the Foreign Policy Association and the American Society for International Law.

Survivors include his wife of 56 years, Charlotte Mabel McKisson of Rockville; two sons, Richard, of Denver, and Laurence, of Charlottesville; and three grandchildren.


Mail Carrier and Deacon

Schuyler T. Eldridge Jr., 78, a retired Postal Service mail carrier who was a deacon at Berean Baptist Church in Washington, died of cancer Nov. 23 at Washington Hospital Center. He lived in Washington.

He worked for what became the Postal Service for 28 years before retiring in 1969.

Mr. Eldridge, who was born in Charlotte, N.C., came to the Washington area in 1932. After graduating from Howard University in 1936, he was an assistant to the dean of men and supervised a dormitory until the early 1940s.

Survivors include his wife of 55 years, Thelma, of Washington; two sons, Schuyler Jr., of Lexington Park, Md., and Maurice, of Swarthmore, Pa.; a daughter, Janice N. Williams of Golden Valley, Minn.; and six grandchildren.