Joseph W. Cullen, 53, the former deputy director of the division of cancer prevention and control at the National Institutes of Health's National Cancer Institute, died of a brain tumor Nov. 24 at a hospital in San Francisco. He had been on vacation there when the tumor was discovered Nov. 21.

At the time of his death, Dr. Cullen was director of the AMC Cancer Research Center in Denver, where he headed a research program aimed at cancer prevention and control. He was also a clinical professor at the University of Colorado School of Medicine.

From 1982 to 1989, he was deputy director of cancer prevention and control at the National Cancer Institute and coordinator of the organization's smoking, tobacco and cancer program. In this capacity he had administered $350 million in research grants and initiated a major program to eliminate cigarette smoking in the United States.

A resident of Englewood, Colo., Dr. Cullen was born in Boston. He graduated from Boston College and received a doctorate in physiological psychology from Florida State University.

He was on the staff of the Veteran's Administration Hospital at Perry Point, Md., in the late 1960s and early 1970s, then in 1975 and 1976 was program director for behavioral programs at division of cancer control and rehabilitation at the National Cancer Institute. From 1976 until 1982, when he returned to this area and rejoined the staff at the National Cancer Institute, he was director of the division of cancer control of the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of California at Los Angeles.

A former resident of Rockville, Dr. Cullen moved to Colorado last year.

Survivors include his wife, Katherine Cullen of Englewood; a son, Neal Cullen of State College, Pa.; a daughter, Jennifer Cullen of Berkeley, Calif.; a brother, Richard Cullen of Northville, N.Y.; and a sister, Joan Degnam of New York.


Capitol Hill Aide

Elizabeth Donahue, 78, a former Capitol Hill aide and anti-poverty program official and the first public relations director of Americans for Democratic Action, died Nov. 26 at her home in Washington of complications from a stroke she suffered last July.

Miss Donahue was born in Portland, Maine, and came to Washington in the late 1930s. She worked here for several publications, including the Louisville Courier-Journal and PM. She became the first public relations director of Americans for Democratic Action when the organization was formed in 1947. In 1948 she handled public relations for the successful effort of then-Minneapolis Mayor Hubert H. Humphrey for a minority civil rights plank at the Democratic National Convention.

From 1949 to 1956, Miss Donahue worked on the staff of Sen. Herbert Lehman (D-N.Y.), then after he retired worked until 1960 on the staff of Rep. Frank Coffin (D-Maine). She also worked on the losing presidential campaigns of Democrat Adlai Stevenson in 1952 and 1956.

In the 1960s, Miss Donahue worked for the Agency for International Development and later as director of operations of the Community Action Program in the Johnson administration's anti-poverty program. She had been a free-lance writer since the 1970s.

There are no immediate survivors.


GSA Lawyer

Thomas Fleury Wilson, 83, a retired General Services Administration lawyer whose duties took him aboard the only flight of the "Spruce Goose" airplane, died Nov. 24 at George Washington University Hospital. He had emphysema.

Mr. Wilson, who had lived in Washington since 1939, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. He was a graduate of Williams College and New York University's law school.

He left a private law practice in New York to come to Washington to work for the National Labor Relations Board. In 1942, he transferred to the Reconstruction Finance Corp. as assistant general counsel for its Defense Plant Corp. He handled contracts for procurement and the production of ships.

He was commissioned a lieutenant in the Navy in 1944 to handle similar work for the Bureau of Ships. After the war, he returned to the Reconstruction Finance Corp., and was assigned to oversee a contract with Howard Hughes, then developing a "flying boat" designed to carry more than 700 passengers.

The 200-ton structure, built out of plywood because of wartime metal shortages and nicknamed the "Spruce Goose," flew only once out of its Long Beach, Calif., harbor, with its creator at the controls and Mr. Wilson as a passenger. After that one-mile voyage in 1947, the government cut off its subsidy and the flying boat never rose out of the water again.

Mr. Wilson worked from 1950 to 1953 at the Federal National Mortgage Corp. as assistant general counsel. He then was chief counsel of the foreign branch expansion division of the General Services Administration. He was a trial counsel at GSA when he retired in the mid-1960s.

His marriage to Adele Nichols Wilson ended in divorce.

Survivors include a sister, Helen A. Wilson of Washington.


Furniture Retailer

James E. Jones, 74, the founder and president of Fairfax Furniture Inc., died Nov. 26 at Fair Oaks Hospital. He had pneumonia and had suffered a stroke.

Mr. Jones, who lived in Fairfax City, was born in Durham, N.C. He attended Duke University and George Washington University. During World War II he was an Army Air Forces navigator, and served in Europe.

He settled in the Washington area after the war and worked in furniture retailing and manufacturing jobs before founding Fairfax Furniture Inc., residential furniture retailers, in 1953. He had continued to operate the business until his death.

He was a director and former president of the Southern Home Furnishing Association, which gave him its Willis Award for leadership and community service in 1980.

Mr. Jones was also a past president of the Fairfax Rotary Club and the Fairfax Chamber of Commerce, which named him its retailer of the year in 1987.

His wife, Elizabeth Moses Jones, died in 1988. Survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth J. Neill and Nancy J. Suddarth, both of Fairfax; a brother, the Rev. John Robert Jones of Fairfax; and two sisters, Marie Parker of Durham and Betsy Taylor of High Point, N.C.; and four grandchildren.


Fiscal Officer

Caleb B. Baum, 80, a retired fiscal officer in the office of the chief of engineers of the Army Corps of Engineers and a former tennis pro at Westwood Country Club in Vienna, died of heart and lung ailments Nov. 8 at Arlington Hospital.

He worked 23 years for the Corps of Engineers before retiring in 1963, then worked 12 years as the Westwood Country Club tennis pro. He played golf regularly at Westwood.

Mr. Baum, who lived in Arlington, was born in Washington.

His wife, Elva Robey Baum, died in 1976. Survivors include three daughters, Linda Shema of Pittsburgh, Carol Cannon of Oakton and Sally Sullivan of Herndon; nine grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.