Henry Reuben Osgood, 83, retired pastor of the First Baptist Church in Hyattsville, died Nov. 26 at his home in Woodbury, N.J., after several strokes.

Dr. Osgood was born in Fort Fairfield, Maine. He graduated from Eastern Baptist Theological Seminary, which also awarded him an honorary doctorate in 1957.

He was the pastor of Baptist churches in Jay and Pittsfield, Maine, before moving to the Washington area to become pastor of Hyattsville's First Baptist Church in 1942. He retired there in 1972.

He was a former president of the D.C. Baptist Convention and a board member of the Prince George's YMCA. In retirement he had served as interim pastor for several Baptist churches in the Washington area. He was a former resident of Gaithersburg and a member of the Gaithersburg Baptist Church.

Dr. Osgood moved to Woodbury earlier this month.

Survivors include his wife of 57 years, Grace Osgood of Woodbury; four children, David Osgood of Wilton, Maine, Lois Miltimore of Woodbury, Judith Matthews of Rockville and Lin Norman of Beltsville; 17 grandchildren, and 13 great-grandchildren.


Polish Review Editor

Irene Marie Coulter, 76, a writer, translator and former editor of the Quarterly Review of Polish Heritage, died Nov. 27 at her home in Falls Church of a heart attack.

She was a native of Warsaw who came to this country as a refugee in 1939 and later helped several Polish emigres in America. As editor from 1970 to 1980 of the Quarterly Review, a publication of the American Council of Polish Cultural Clubs, she transformed it into an English-language magazine on Polish culture.

In recent years, she wrote and translated poetry for Polish publications.

Mrs. Coulter, who had attended the Warsaw School of Commerce and studied journalism in London, arrived in this country with her first husband, Andrzej Belina Prazmowski, and settled in the Boston area.

Mrs. Coulter gave lessons in Polish and French, wrote a social column in a Polish newspaper in Boston, worked for Polish American organizations and then worked on Republican political campaigns. Her husband died in 1942.

She married Kirkley Coulter in 1945 and moved to the Washington area, where she remained active in Republican politics in Northern Virginia.

In 1960, Mrs. Coulter worked for the Census Bureau and supervised the taking of the census for Northern Virginia. Later, she wrote for suburban newspapers here and for the Polish American press. She also taught at the Foreign Service Institute.

She was a member of the Polish-American Art Association and was a volunteer for the Red Cross and the Girl Scouts.

Her husband died in 1980, and their daughter, Barbara Coulter Rich, died in 1987.

There are no immediate survivors.


White House Clerk

Daniel James Marks, 43, deputy executive clerk of the White House, died of tuberculosis of the bone Nov. 25 at his parents' home in Fort Myers, Fla. A resident of Washington for the past 20 years, he was visiting relatives at the time of his death.

As a White House clerk since 1973, and deputy since 1982, Mr. Marks handled the official papers of presidents, including legislation, executive orders, proclamations, nominations and appointments, directives and communications with Congress.

While in the Army from 1970 to 1973, he worked for the White House communications agency, helping to handle presidential communications.

Mr. Marks was a native of Geneva, N.Y., and a political science graduate of University of South Florida.

His marriage to Sally McCarthy ended in divorce.

Survivors include his parents, Raymond and Margaret James Marks, three brothers, Thomas Marks, David Marks and Paul Marks, and a sister, Margaret Marks, all of Fort Myers.


Government Contracts Lawyer

Thomas Fleury Wilson, 83, a retired government contracts lawyer whose duties took him aboard the only flight of the "Spruce Goose" airplane, died Nov. 24 at George Washington University Hospital. He had emphysema.

Mr. Wilson, who had lived in Washington since 1939, was a native of Brooklyn, N.Y. He was a graduate of Williams College and New York University's law school.

He left a private law practice in New York to come to Washington to work for the National Labor Relations Board. In 1941, he transferred to the Reconstruction Finance Corp. as assistant general counsel for its Defense Plants Corp. He handled contracts for procurement and the production of ships.

He was commissioned a lieutenant in the Navy in 1944 to handle similar work for the Bureau of Ships. It was in that capacity that he was assigned to oversee a Navy contract with Howard Hughes, then developing a "flying boat" designed to carry more than 700 passengers.

The 200-ton structure, built out of plywood because of wartime metal shortages and nicknamed the "Spruce Goose," flew only once out of its Long Beach, Calif., harbor, with its creator at the controls and Mr. Wilson as a passenger. After that one-mile voyage in 1947, the government cut off its subsidy and the flying boat never rose out of the water again.

Mr. Wilson spent the rest of his career in government as a contracts lawyer with the General Services Administration. He retired in the mid-1960s.

His marriage to Adele Nichols Wilson ended in divorce.

Survivors include a sister, Helen A. Wilson of Washington.


Navy Materials Commander

C. James Toole, 73, a retired civilian administrator with the Navy Material Command who also had retired from the Navy reserves in the 1960s as a commander, died of cancer Nov. 25 at Suburban Hospital. He lived in Bethesda.

Cmdr. Toole retired in 1973 after 27 years as a civilian budget specialist and materials administrator with the Defense Department. He was administrator of the material command for eight years.

A native of Washington, he grew up on Capitol Hill, where his father was a harnessmaker. Cmdr. Toole was a graduate of Western High School and the old Wilson Teachers College.

He received his Navy commission during World War II and served in the South Pacific, where he commanded amphibious landing vessels. He rose to lieutenant commander during the war.

While in the Marshall Islands, he was told by natives of a female aviator who had been captured a few years earlier by Japanese invaders of an island. Cmdr. Toole became a source of information both for Navy intelligence investigators trying to determine what had happened to Amelia Earhardt and for later writers of books about her.

After he retired from the Navy Department, Cmdr. Toole managed the front desks of the Kenwood and Washingtonian country clubs. In recent years he had managed The Seasons condominium complex in Bethesda.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy Miller Toole of Bethesda; two sons, Mark W., of Annapolis, and Charles James Jr., of Bethesda; and two daughters, Deborah L. Vergara and Pamela S. Toole, both of Bethesda.


Business School Dean

John Daniel Scholl III, 42, the dean of the Harry F. Byrd School of Business at Shenandoah College and Conservatory of Music in Winchester, Va., died of cancer Nov. 25 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Scholl had been on the staff at Shenandoah since 1985. Earlier he had served on the faculties at Syracuse University, the University of Maryland and the University of Rio Grande.

A resident of Vienna, he was born in LaPorte, Ind. He graduated from the Krannert School of Management at Purdue University, and received a master's degree in economics at Indiana State University and a doctorate in microeconomics at Purdue.

As a young man he was director of research and assistant director of the economic planning group at the Indiana Department of Commerce.

At Shenandoah, his jobs included vice president for academic affairs, professor of economics and dean of the business school. He was also vice president of Scholl Associates, a consulting group located in Vienna and in Bradenton, Fla.

He was a member of the American Economic Association, the National Association of Business Economists, the Winchester-Frederick County Chamber of Commerce and the Capitol Hill Equestrian Society.

Survivors include his wife, Kathleen K. Scholl of Vienna; his parents, John and Winnifred Scholl of Palmetto, Fla.; and three sisters, Jean Berg of Rolling Prarie, Ind., Jane Vail of Dublin, Ohio, and Judith Lee of Glenview, Ill.


Electronics Expert

Michael Joseph Lamonda Sr., 74, a retired electronics expert at the National Security Agency who was active in Catholic Church affairs, died of cancer Nov. 27 at his home at Leisure World in Silver Spring.

Mr. Lamonda was born in Little Falls, N.Y., and served in the Army in Europe during World War II. He was stationed in South Korea after the war and then was transferred to Washington in 1948. In 1951, he retired on a medical disability.

He joined the security agency shortly after it was established in 1952, and he retired in 1976.

Mr. Lamonda was a former resident of Rockville and a former member of the parishes of St. Jude's Catholic Church, where he was an usher, and St. John the Baptist Catholic Church, both in Rockville. At his death he was an acolyte and lector at Our Lady of Grace Catholic Church in Silver Spring. He was an affiliate of the Order of St. Augustine.

Mr. Lamonda also was a member of the Blackthorne Stick Society, an Irish dance group, the Leisure World Fun and Fancy Drama Club, and the Leisure World Camera Club.

Survivors include his wife, Mary E. Price, whom he married in 1949, of Silver Spring; three sons, Michael Joseph Lamonda Jr. of Gaithersburg, Charles V. Lamonda of Wheaton and James Thomas Lamonda of Annapolis; three daughters, Mary Lou Lamonda of Milwaukee, Elizabeth M. Zern of Frederick, Md., and Denise N. Gustafson of Oakland; and seven grandchildren.


Retired Defense Librarian

James C. Wade, 71, a retired Defense Department librarian who was president of the International Stamp Club of the International Association of Lions Clubs, died Nov. 26 at Alexandria Hospital of complications from diabetes.

As head of an organization that collected stamps to donate to hospitalized veterans, Mr. Wade would receive large boxes of stamps from all over the world at his home in Annandale, practically on a daily basis. The stamps were given to hospitalized veterans to encourage them to take up the hobby.

Mr. Wade had been active in the stamp club since his retirement 10 years ago from the Defense Documentation Center at Cameron Station. His own interest as a collector was in first-day stamp covers.

A native of Schenectady, N.Y., Mr. Wade was a graduate of Union College there. He moved to Washington about 45 years ago to attend Catholic University, from which he received a degree in library science.

He worked as a defense information specialist for nearly 30 years.

He was a member of St. Michael's Catholic Church in Annandale.

Survivors include his wife, Evelyn Amuedo Wade, of Annandale; two sons, Gregory and Jerry, both of Alexandria; a brother, John, of Schenectady; and three grandchildren.


Music Minister

Whitford Leroy Hall, 87, retired music minister of the First Congregational Church in Washington, died Nov. 23 at a hospital in McMinnville, Ore. He had cancer.

Mr. Hall was born in Clyde, N.Y., and grew up in Oregon. He graduated from Westminster Choir College in Princeton, N.J.

For 10 years before moving to the Washington area in 1945, he was minister of music at First Presbyterian Church in Santa Ana, Calif. He was minister of music at the First Congregational Church here for 27 years before retiring in 1972.

For several years, Mr. Hall recorded weekly choral and organ programs at the church; he also directed a chorus at the Pentagon.

In 1975 he returned to Oregon, and was living at McMinnville at the time of his death.

His wife of 48 years, the former Genevieve Cordier, died in 1980. Survivors include three children, Barbara Jean Munson and Jim Hall, both of Alexandria, and Peg Costlow of Tracy, Calif.; a brother, Harwood Hall of St. Petersburg Beach, Fla.; a sister, Phyllis Plaep of McMinnville; and six grandchildren.


Aeronautics Investigator

Walter A. Radeloff, 75, a retired special investigator with the Civil Aeronautics Board, died Nov. 9 at Broward County Hospital in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. A 19-year resident of Bethesda, Mr. Radeloff moved to Fort Lauderdale last year.

He was responsible at the aeronautics board for criminal and civil investigations involving air carriers. He worked there for 10 years, and retired in 1970. Before that, he owned a restaurant in Warminster, Pa., and was an investigator the Atomic Energy Commission's international affairs division from 1959 to 1966.

Mr. Radeloff was a native of New York City and attended New York University. He was with Army intelligence in the Pacific during World War II.

His wife, Claire D. Radeloff, died in 1988. Survivors include his son, Richard Radeloff of Mount Carmel, Ill.; three daughters, Dyan Radeloff-Strudler of Bethesda, Janice Golden of Dallas and Lisa Radeloff of Gaithersburg; a brother, Sidney Radeloff, of Hollywood, Fla.; and three grandchildren.