The obituary yesterday of Dr. Raymond J. Terrafranca, a Washington radiologist, gave an incorrect number of surviving grandchildren. He had seven grandchildren. (Published 11/30/90) The obituary yesterday of Edward W. Mahar, a printer and Boy Scout leader, incorrectly stated the location of his employer, VMW Printing. It is in Hyattsville. The firm has no connection with Eagle Press, another former employer of Mr. Mahar. (Published 11/30/90)

Raymond J. Terrafranca, 76, a physician who conducted a practice in radiology and general medicine in Washington from 1946 until he retired in 1988, died of cancer Nov. 28 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Dr. Terrafranca, who lived in Washington, was a former chief of radiology at D.C. General Hospital, Prince George's General Hospital and St. Mary's Hospital in Leonardtown, Md. He was affiliated with Providence Hospital in Washington for 42 years.

A native of West New York, N.J., Dr. Terrafranca graduated from St. Peter's College in Jersey City. He moved to Washington in 1936 to attend the Georgetown University medical school, where he graduated in 1941.

During World War II, he was a captain in the Army Medical Corps and served in France and Germany.

Dr. Terrafranca was a member of the American College of Radiology, the District of Columbia Medical Society and the American Medical Association. He also was a member of the parish of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Juanita Terrafranca, whom he married in 1944, of Washington; two daughters, Maria Charette of South Orange, N.J., and Tessa Morris of Washington; four sons, Larry Terrafranca of Sandstone, W.Va., Raymond J. Terrafranca Jr. of London, England, Robert Terrafranca of Falls Church and Christopher Terrafranca of Washington; four brothers, Peter Terrafranca of River Edge, N.J., Nicholas Terrafranca of Jersey City, Lawrence Terrafranca of West Milford, N.J., and John Terrafranca, also of New Jersey; and four grandchildren.


Boy Scout Leader

Edward W. Mahar, 31, a printer and the assistant troop leader and commissioner of Boy Scout Troop No. 403 at Holy Trinity Episcopal Church in Bowie, died of cancer Nov. 27 at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.

Mr. Mahar, who lived in Bowie, was born in Chelsea, Mass., and moved to the Washington area in 1967. He grew up in Bowie and was a graduate of Bowie Senior High School.

In 1979, he went to work for the Eagle Press, and for the past seven years he had been a printer with VMW Printing in Laurel, a successor to the Eagle firm.

He was a member of Holy Trinity Episcopal Church.

Survivors include his wife, Karen L. Mahar, and two children, Alicia and Rachel Mahar, all of Bowie; his parents, Mr. and Mrs. James M. Mahar of Bowie; three sisters, Ann-Frances Pennell and Brenda L. Cressman, both of Bowie, and Jean M. Shaffery of Millersville, Md.; and two brothers, N. Bruce Mahar of Glen Burnie and Michael D. Mahar of Bowie.


Engineer and Physicist

Harold E. Sunde, 90, whose career as a research electrical engineer and physicist began with early sound recording and ended in an era of nuclear weaponry, died of pneumonia Nov. 27 at the Friends Nursing Home in Sandy Spring. He had lived in Silver Spring for about 40 years.

Mr. Sunde retired in 1970 after 15 years with the Department of the Air Force, where he was an operations research analyst, primarily analyzing war games.

He had been involved in atomic weapons research since World War II, when he moved here to work for Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory as a senior engineer. While with the laboratory, he also contributed to the development of a radar-controlled, auto-tracking gunfire director and a proximity fuse for weaponry.

Mr. Sunde was a native of Sioux City, Iowa, and had a degree in electrical engineering from Iowa State College. In the 1920s, he worked for General Electric, developing the first portable electrocardiograph machine, and then worked on early vacuum tubes and sound-on-discs and sound-on-film recording techniques.

From 1928 to 1937, he worked for RCA Photophone, a division of RCA, supervising the planning and installation of recording facilities in England, France, the Soviet Union and Jamaica.

He was on hand in Moscow in 1929 to supervise installation of the first sound motion picture equipment in a theater there, and was a personal guest of Joseph Stalin for the premier performance.

Between 1937 and 1942, Mr. Sunde worked in Philadelphia on the development of electrical instruments for Leeds Northrup Corp.

After his stint with the Applied Physics Laboratory, he worked on applied atomic research for the University of California's Sandia Laboratory in New Mexico from 1949 to 1951. He then returned to Washington to work on radiological defense research projects for the old Bureau of Ships in the Navy Department before transferring to the Air Force.

His marriage to Tah-Wee-Nah Sunde ended in divorce.

He is survived by his son, Robert Sunde, of Burtonsville; and a granddaughter.


Health Insurance Aide

Terry Allan Malmquist, 33, legislative director of Healthcare Compare Corp., an insurance cost containment company, died Nov. 26 at his home in Falls Church of complications from AIDS.

Mr. Malmquist, who had lived in the Washington area since 1981, worked for much of his career in the health insurance industry, and had been with the Washington office of Healthcare Compare for two years.

As legislative director, he monitored federal insurance legislation and marketed contracts to federal employee health insurance plans. He previously worked for the CNA Insurance office in Rockville as a legislative analyst and for the law offices of Gordon and Barnett in Washington as a legislative director.

Mr. Malmquist was a native of Grand Rapids, Mich., and a graduate of the University of Michigan.

Survivors include his companion, Daniel Fantore of Falls Church; his mother and stepfather, Sharalyn and Bruce Foote, of Woodbridge; his father and stepmother, Allen and Sherri Malmquist of Fort Dix, N.J.; two sisters, Penny Malmquist of Alexandria and Kandi Malmquist of Wyoming, Mich.; and two grandparents, Rudy and Lorraine Malmquist of Traverse City, Mich.


YMCA Lifeguard

Mary K. Sulkovsky, 29, a former lifeguard at the Bethesda YMCA and the swimming pool of the Somerset Civic Association in Chevy Chase, died Nov. 27 at the home of her mother in Chevy Chase. She had Hodgkin's disease.

Mrs. Sulkovsky was born in Washington. After graduating from the School of the Holy Child in Potomac, she attended High Point College in High Point, N.C., on a field hockey scholarship. She graduated from the University of Maryland.

From about 1986 to 1987, she worked for the Horenberg Insurance company in Silver Spring. In 1988, she moved to Forest, Va., which is near Lynchburg.

Mrs. Sulkovsky had been active in various recreation associations in Montgomery County, where she played softball.

Survivors include her husband, Richard J. Sulkovsky, and their daughter, Shannon Marie Sulkovsky, of Forest; her mother, Fey M. Wohlleban of Chevy Chase; a sister, Elizabeth Anne Wohllehban of Falls Church; and three brothers, William McNulty Wohlleban Jr. of Winchester, Va., John Frederick Wohlleban of Chevy Chase and Peter Daniel Wohlleban of Rockville.


Lansburgh's Store Employee

Henrietta Marie Engleman, 90, a former employee of Lansburgh's department store, died Nov. 26 at Montgomery General Hospital after a heart attack.

Mrs. Engleman, who lived in Olney, was born in Baltimore and moved to the Washington area in the late 1920s. She worked 16 years in the cash office at Lansburgh's and retired in 1962.

Mrs. Engleman did knitting and crocheting and she had won blue ribbons for her creations at Montgomery County Fairs. She also did volunteer knitting and crocheting for babies at Children's Hospital.

She was a member of Oakdale United Methodist Church in Olney and of senior citizens organizations in Wheaton and Olney, and the Ruth chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star in Washington.

Her husband, Earl Winter Engleman, died in 1947. Survivors include four children, Earl Winter Engleman of Rockville, David Thomas Engleman of Orlando, Fla., Helen A. Hubbard of Wheaton, and Audrey McCaffrey of Olney.