"Jamaican Paul" put a gun to his head, the crack addict told police, and ordered him to pay his drug debt or die.

"At the time, I said, ' . . . I don't have the money,' " Earl L. Davis recounted to Fairfax County police. " 'What do you want me to do, rob a damn bank or something?' And the guy said, 'Yeah.' "

So Davis did; he put on a hat and sunglasses and robbed a bank.

Months later, a tale that sounds like a bad film script was being told to a Fairfax County Circuit Court jury by Earl L. Davis, 34, who was charged with robbing a Continental Federal bank branch in Reston.

The story ended yesterday, when the jury returned a verdict of guilty and recommended that Davis, of the 2200 block of Stonewheel Drive in Reston, spend seven years in prison. One juror, who did not want to be identified, said she was shocked by the case and its revelations of the drug world in Fairfax.

"You don't think of Jamaicans driving out from D.C. and holding Uzis to someone's head," said the 47-year-old woman. "But middle-class suburbs can't escape from reality any longer."

Davis's attorney, Michael S. Arif, acknowledged that Davis, who used and sold illegal drugs, robbed the bank on Aug. 7, but said he did so under duress.

"Jamaican Paul told him he was a dead man," Arif said. "He had a gun to his head. He was going to die . . . . The defendant was driven to the bank, was told to get out of the car and do it."

In addition to death threats, Arif said, Davis's home was torched by Norman A. Hannibald, 27, a District man known as Jamaican Paul or Paul the Jamaican. Hannibald was convicted last Wednesday of two misdemeanor counts of arson, according to court records. Hannibald originally was charged with extortion, but that charge was dropped, according to court records.

According to a teller's testimony, Davis walked into the bank, put a plastic bag on the counter and told her to give him money.

She gave him a bag with $491 in "bait money" and a dye pack and sounded silent alarms. On his way back to his apartment, the bag exploded with red dye. Davis said he grabbed some money, ran back to his house and paid the dealer. But it wasn't enough.

"He counts eight and half or nine hundred dollars or something like that," Davis told police, an amount that Davis's lawyer later told jurors was erroneous. "He said, 'You still owe me another . . . . thousand dollars.' I said, 'I will give it to you when I can, man. As soon as I get it. Just don't hurt me or my family.' That's when he said, 'I'll put a . . . . blood clot in your . . . . if you don't get my money.' "

A week later, Jamaican Paul came back, Davis told police. "I didn't have it. I was scared to steal or do something else wrong . . . . I started calling people {to} see if I can borrow the money, and I left and I came back about a hour later, and the . . . . put a torch to my house."

Assistant Commonwealth's Attorney Elizabeth A. Luttig told the jury that Davis robbed the bank willingly and did not deserve sympathy. She said he had a chance to escape from the intimidation.

"This is a strange case; a life threatened, a house burned," Luttig said. "What this is, is a message for the community. All you have to do is get in debt to a drug dealer and you can go rob a bank."