William F. Roeder, 79, retired head of sanitation and landfill operations for the D.C. government, died Nov. 27 at Fairfax Hospital of head injuries. He suffered a fall at his home in Falls Church that day.

Mr. Roeder worked for the city's Department of Sanitary Engineering from 1946 until he retired from the city government in 1970. He was named head of sanitation and landfill operations in 1964. His responsibilities included supervision of trash and garbage collection and disposal and snow removal from the city's streets.

A native of Allentown, Pa., he graduated from Pennsylvania State University. He was a civil engineer for the Tennessee Valley Authority from 1935 to 1942, when he moved to Washington.

During World War II he worked in military engineering education programs and in the procurement office of the Treasury Department. He joined the D.C. government after the war.

After leaving the District staff, Mr. Roeder worked eight years for the Montgomery County government, where he was assistant in charge of landfill operations.

While working for the D.C. government, he received a Meritorious Service Award, a Special Public Service Award and a Certificate of Merit. He was a member of the House of Delegates of the American Public Works Association.

Mr. Roeder was a member of Christ Episcopal Church in Alexandria.

Survivors include his wife of 54 years, Elizabeth Z. Roeder of Falls Church; two children, Marybeth R. Dority of Fort Washington and William F. Roeder Jr. of Vienna; a sister, Catherine Conover of Norwell, Mass.; and three grandchildren.


Music Student

Erin Elizabeth Kalibat, 20, a music student and 1988 graduate of the National Cathedral School for Girls, died Nov. 23 at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York City of complications after a heart attack.

She was a junior at the Mannes College of Music in New York, where she was studying toward a career as an opera singer.

Born in Santa Monica, Calif., Miss Kalibat had lived in Washington since 1971. At Cathedral, she was president of the Glee Club, a founder of another singing group, and winner of the school's choral singing award in 1988.

She also played major roles in school musical and dramatic productions and belonged to the drama club, vocal ensemble, madrigal singers and the carillon-ringers guild. She taught music in a summer program conducted in cooperation with the D.C. public schools, did artistic work for school theatrical productions and won Scholastic Magazine's Gold Key Award for drawing in 1985.

Survivors include her mother, Micki Kirk of Washington; her father, Edward Kirk of Palo Alto, Calif.; her adoptive father, Dr. Francis Kalibat, and her sister, Kelly Kalibat, both of Washington; her grandparents, Martha Kirk, of Napa, Calif., Ruth Austin, of Hemet, Calif., and Frank and Millie Kalibat, of Old Bridge, N.J.



Eason Simmons, 35, a vice president and general manager for Herb's Restaurant who over the years planned and produced fund-raisers for various groups in Washington, died Nov. 28 at the Washington Home Hospice. He had AIDS.

Mr. Simmons, a resident of Washington, was born in Watertown, N.Y. He graduated from Hartwick College in Oneonta, N.Y., and was co-owner of a restaurant in Oneonta before moving to Washington in 1977.

He worked for the Tabard Inn, the Four Seasons, the Broker and Piece of Cake before joining Herb's when it opened in 1982.

Mr. Simmons had planned benefits for the Washington Project for the Arts, the Whitman-Walker Clinic, the Washington Sculptors Group, the Rape Crisis Center, the Gay Men's Chorus, the Washington Ballet, the New Art Examiner and other organizations.

Survivors include his companion, Mitch Hanks of Washington; his mother, Alicia Mald of Milbrook, N.Y.; a brother, Mark W. Simmons of Rochester, N.Y.; a half brother, Lance E. Killmeier of Fort Ann, N.Y., and a half sister, Kay DiNuzzo of New City, N.Y.


Alexandria Volunteer

Eileen Brady Fox, 74, who had done volunteer work at an Alexandria clinic during the 1970s, died of an aneurysm Nov. 26 at Mount Vernon Hospital. She had been disabled since suffering a stroke in 1981.

Mrs. Fox, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Barrie, Ontario. She grew up in Ottawa and graduated from Glebe College.

Her first husband, Egbert Hayley, died in 1951. In 1954, she married William Fox. From 1960 to 1971, they lived in Morristown, N.J., where Mrs. Fox did volunteer work for charitable organizations. In 1971, they moved to the Washington area.

Mrs. Fox was a director of the Victoria Home for the Aged in Ossining, N.Y.

In addition to her husband, of Alexandria, survivors include a son by her first marriage, Kirk Hayley, also of Alexandria; two brothers, Norman Brady of Hilton Head Island, S.C., and Jarvis Brady of Denver; and three sisters, Lois Godsey of New Port Richey, Fla., Charlotte Taylor of Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, and Evelyn Arthey of London, Ontario.


Secretary and Volunteer

Elsie C. Lightheart Harkins, 89, a former secretary to Selective Service Director Gen. Lewis B. Hershey, died Nov. 26 at Bethesda-Silver Spring Nursing and Retirement Home after a stroke.

Mrs. Harkins, who lived in Bethesda, was born in Chicago. She moved to the Washington area in the late 1930s.

During World War II she was a Red Cross volunteer in Montgomery County, then after the war worked for Gen. Hershey until about 1960.

She was a member of the Adult Club, the Legion of Mary and the Ladies Guild at St. Bartholomew's Catholic Church in Bethesda, where she also participated in a knitting mission group for African lepers and made stoles for baptismal services.

Mrs. Harkins was a volunteer at Suburban Hospital, an organizer and former finance chairman of the Montgomery County Thrift Shop and a member of the Bethesda Woman's Club and the Bethesda Garden Club.

Her husband of 56 years, Otto Nile Harkins, died in 1981.

There are no immediate survivors.


Dancing School Director

Filomena Melillo Ciccone, 71, director of the Ciccone Academy of Arts, a dancing school in Seabrook, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 27 at Prince George's Hospital Center. She had AIDS.

Mrs. Ciccone founded the dancing school 24 years ago and directed it until it was closed earlier this year.

A native of Newark, N.J., she moved here in 1946 and was a homemaker until the mid-1960s.

She belonged to St. Matthias Catholic Church in Lanham.

Survivors include her husband, Pasquale Ciccone of Seabrook; three daughters, Rosemarie Ciccone of Seabrook, Patricia Ciccone Staffieri of Hyattsville, and Marjorie Ciccone of Silver Spring; her mother, Armenia Melillo of Parsippany, N.J.; two sisters, Virginia Previty of Warren, N.J., and Palma Melillo of Parsippany; and three grandchildren.


Civic Leader

Stephen Anthony Trentman, 77, a former Washington resident who was vice president of the Citizens Association of Georgetown and of the Foundation for the Preservation of Historic Georgetown, died of Alzheimer's disease Nov. 24 at Stonegate's Health Care Center in Greenville, Del.

Mr. Trentman was born in Chicago. He graduated from Princeton University, and served in the Army in England during World War II.

After the war, he worked 13 years for the Bank of America in Los Angeles, then retired in 1958.

He lived in Washington from 1966 until 1984 and was a member of the Chevy Chase Club and the City Tavern Club. In 1984 he moved to Greenville, Del.

Survivors include his wife, Emalea Trentman of Greenville; and a brother, Harry S. Trentman of Wilmington, Del.


Graphic Arts Manager

Arthur LeGrillon Early, 74, a graphic arts production manager for publishing companies here, died Nov. 26 at Mount Vernon Hospital after a heart attack. He lived in Alexandria.

Mr. Early retired in 1975 after eight years with the Parker Mailing Service. He had been in graphic arts production since the end of World War II, first with the old National Publishing Co. and then with McCall's publishing company.

A native of Marion, N.C., Mr. Early moved to Washington in 1935. During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Mediterranean.

Survivors include his wife, Shirley R. Early of Alexandria; a son, Dennis Early of Fort Lauderdale, Fla.; a daughter, Christine Turner of Boone, N.C.; and four grandchildren.