LOS ANGELES -- Norman Cousins, 75, former editor in chief of the Saturday Review who became a controversial holistic health authority and the author of books on the nature of illness, died Nov. 30 at a hospital in Los Angeles after a heart attack.

Never formally trained in medicine, Mr. Cousins received wide publicity with the 1979 publication of "Anatomy of an Illness as Perceived by the Patient." The bestseller detailed his recovery from a life-threatening form of arthritis through his self-prescribed regimen of positive thinking and vitamin C.

He explored the link between the body and the mind in fighting illness and formed the basis for today's holistic health movement.

"I think people have been miseducated about health," he said last year. "We've been educated to be timid and fearful. We don't understand how beautifully robust the human body is . . . . The fact is that 85 percent of all illnesses are self-limiting; the body will right iself if given half the chance."

In the late 1970s, he joined the faculty of the medical school of the University of California at Los Angeles. An adjunct professor in the department of psychiatry and biobehavioral sciences, he taught ethics and medical literature.

He also worked with cancer patients as part of a research project to determine how patients' mental attitudes affected the course of their illnesses. He found that a patient's sense of well-being could positively affect the function of the immune system and production of cancer-fighting T-cells.

Mr. Cousins, who moved to the West Coast in the late 1970s, was born in Union Hill, N.J. He attended Columbia University and became an education reporter for the New York Evening Post in 1934. He then moved to Current History, a world affairs monthly magazine that shared building space with the Saturday Review of Literature, where he took his next writing job.

In that building were the writers who were molding Saturday Review into the cultural voice of America: William Rose Benet, Christopher Morley, George Stevens and Amy Loveman. Despite their best efforts, the magazine -- with a circulation of 20,000 -- was losing vast sums of money. When Henry Seidel Canby, with Stevens the driving force behind the tiny cadre of writers, resigned in 1940, Mr. Cousins was asked to take over.

"I got the job because no one else would take it," Cousins wrote years later in "Present Tense: An American Editor's Odyssey," a collection of his essays.

He served as the magazine's editor in chief from 1942 to 1977. It ceased publication in 1982. The journal, though often financially troubled, was at one time considered the epitome of arts coverage in the United States. Over the years, its coverage grew to include book reviews, political reporting and reviews of the arts.

While working for the Review, Mr. Cousins covered the Berlin airlift, the division of India and Pakistan, and the Israeli occupation of the Gaza Strip.

Among his 25 books are "Head First: The Biology of Hope" and "The Healing Heart."

Mr. Cousins also undertook diplomatic missions on behalf of Pope John XXIII and Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy and Johnson. He was awarded the 1990 Albert Schweitzer Prize for Humanitarianism for his efforts on behalf of international peace and the relief of human suffering around the world.

He was named honorary president of the United World Federalists and co-chairman of the National Committee for a Sane Nuclear Policy. He helped arrange for the "Hiroshima Maidens," 25 young victims of the atomic bomb blast of 1945, to come to the United States for medical treatment.

Survivors include his wife of 51 years, Ellen.


Delivery Service Founder

Charles Jacofsky, 49, founder and president of Apex delivery service in Silver Spring and a past governor of Silver Spring Moose Lodge No. 658, died Nov. 23 at Washington Adventist Hospital after a heart attack.

Mr. Jacofsky, who lived in Silver Spring, was a native of Washington. He served in the Naval Reserve in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Before founding Apex about 1980, he was a driver for several firms, including Barwood Cab and Central Delivery.

His marriage to Anna White Jacofsky ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Rachel A. Jacofsky and Shannon L. Vega, both of Naples, Fla.; and a sister, Rebecca A. Jacofsky of Oakland.


Smithsonian Supply Chief

Anthony Warwick Wilding, 87, a retired chief of the supply division of the Smithsonian Institution, died of cancer Dec. 1 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Wilding was born in Washington. He graduated from McKinley Technical High School and Benjamin Franklin University, where he received a master's degree in accounting.

He began his career at the Smithsonian in 1918. He was in charge of supplies in the Bureau of American Ethnology in the Museum of Natural History until 1943, when he was named chief of supply for the entire Smithsonian. He retired in 1965.

Mr. Wilding was a past president of the Washington chapter of the National Association of Purchasing Agents and a member of Toastmasters International, the Rock Creek Council of the Knights of Columbus, and St. Bartholomew's Catholic Church in Bethesda. For many years he also was active in the parish of the Nativity Catholic Church in Washington.

Survivors include his wife, Dorothy L. Wilding, whom he married in 1929, of Bethesda; four children, Joseph W. Wilding of Columbia, Mary A. Wilding of Bethesda, James A. Wilding of Silver Spring and Thomas L. Wilding of Arlington, Mass.; 11 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Army Chief Warrant Officer

Byron R. Mudge, 79, a retired Army chief warrant officer who later became a section chief in the federal research division of the Library of Congress, died of pneumonia, kidney and heart ailments Nov. 18 at Great Plains Medical Center in North Platte, Neb.

A resident of Vienna, he was visiting his mother, who died Oct. 13, when he became ill.

Mr. Mudge was born in Wahoo, Neb. He served in the Army in Europe during World War II and was awarded two Bronze Stars and an Army Commendation Medal.

After the war he remained in the Army and was assigned at embassies in Thailand, Honduras and Venezuela. He was posted in the Washington area in the mid-1950s, and served in the office of the assistant chief of staff for intelligence as an instructor in the Army attache section. He later served in the inspector general's office of the Defense Intelligence Agency. He retired from the Army in 1968.

Mr. Mudge then joined the staff of the Library of Congress, and served there until retiring in 1986. He received Meritorious and Superior Service awards from the library.

His wife, the former Corrine Highberger, died in 1987. Survivors include a daughter, Marilyn Gruhn of Berkeley Springs, W.Va.


Women's Group Leader

Roberta C. Anschuetz, 72, a past president of the National Council of Women and the wife of a Foreign Service officer and banker, died of cancer Nov. 30 at her home in Washington.

Mrs. Anschuetz was born in Denver. She graduated from the University of Kansas and moved to Washington in 1941.

In 1943 she married Norbert L. Anschuetz and accompanied him on Foreign Service assignments to Greece, Thailand, Egypt and France. In 1968, when her husband went to work for a bank, the family settled in Beirut, N.Y. They later lived in London and New York City. They retired to Washington in 1981.

Mrs. Anschuetz was a member of the Sulgrave Club, the Women's Committee for the Washington Opera and the New Scotland Garden Club in Washington.

In addition to her husband, of Washington, survivors include four daughters, Carol L. Anschuetz and Ellen A. Lewis, both of Washington, Susan C. Anschuetz of Denver, and Nancy H. Stahl of New York City; a sister, Mary Ann McFetridge of Oceanside, Calif.; two brothers, Dr. William Cook of Denver and Joseph A. Cook of Washington; and six grandchildren.