LaVerne Colwell Kiplinger, 91, former vice president and director of the Kiplinger publishing organization and the widow of its founder, W.M. Kiplinger, died of Parkinson's disease and emphysema Dec. 2 at her home in Bethesda.

Mrs. Kiplinger joined the news agency formed by her future husband as an office manager in 1921. Subsequently, she was named assistant secretary-treasurer, then vice president and director of the organization, which became known as Kiplinger Washington Editors Inc. It publishes the Kiplinger Letters and Changing Times magazine.

Mrs. Kiplinger remained active in the day-to-day operation of the business through the mid-1960s. She retired as vice president and director in 1975. She and Kiplinger were married in 1936. He died in 1967.

A native of Denver, Mrs. Kiplinger moved to Washington as a child. While still in her teens, she was private secretary to telephone inventor Alexander Graham Bell. She later was a secretary to Sen. Medill McCormick (R-Ill.) and Sen. Charles B. Henderson (D-Nev.).

With her husband, Mrs. Kiplinger established the Kiplinger Foundation, which supports education, the arts and social services. She worked as a volunteer for WETA, which he helped found, and the Red Cross and Girl Scouts. She often distributed coffee and doughnuts to Montgomery County firefighters, rescue workers and police. She was a member of Fourth Presbyterian Church in Bethesda.

Her marriage to Walter Tucker ended in divorce.

A daughter by her first marriage, Bonnie Kiplinger Watts, died in 1971.

Survivors include two stepchildren, Austin H. Kiplinger of Poolesville and Jane K. Wilson of Dallas; two grandsons; and three stepgrandsons.


Vassar Book Sale Founder

Margaret Fine Butler, 89, a founder of the Vassar Book Sale in Washington, died of heart ailments Dec. 2 at Warsaw Health Center in Warsaw, Va.

Mrs. Fine was born in Princeton, N.J., and graduated from Vassar College.

She taught high school in Princeton before moving to the Washington area in 1930. In the late 1940s she helped found the Vassar Book Sale, an annual weeklong event in May that includes the sale of used and rare books, prints, records and tapes.

In the 1940s she began operating an Angus cattle breeding farm in Essex County, Va., with her husband, Lee D. Butler, whom she had married in 1930. They lived there and in Washington. He died in 1981, and for the past seven years Mrs. Butler had lived at the farm.

She was a member of Vauters Episcopal Church in Loretto, Va.

Survivors include three children, L. David Butler Jr. of Supply, Va., Margo Lorig of Eagle, Colo., and Adele McLennan of West Chester, Pa.; 10 grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


International Development Consultant

Dana Reynolds, 82, an economic development consultant who worked to improve food production abroad, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Dec. 2 at National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation. He lived in Arlington.

He was president of the International Center for the Dynamics of Development, an Arlington-based organization he founded in 1971. His clients included officials in Peru, Afghanistan and South Africa.

Mr. Reynolds came to the Washington area in 1930 as an Agriculture Department information officer. During the 1930s, he also was a staff officer for the President's Interagency Commission for the Upper Monongahela Valley.

From 1940 to 1944, he was a farm news broadcaster for ABC and NBC. After World War II Navy service in the South Pacific, he produced one of the first broadcasts of the "Armed Forces Hour" on NBC television, then returned to the Agriculture Department.

In 1949, he was appointed liaison officer between Agriculture and the State Department's Economic Cooperation Administration, overseer of the foreign aid program. He transferred to the ECA and served there and with its successor organizations, including the International Cooperation Administration and the Agency for International Development, until his retirement.

His last assignment for AID was in Afghanistan from 1960 to 1962, the year he retired from the federal government. Earlier, he had been assigned to Libya as executive officer of the U.S. operations mission, and Washington, where from 1953 to 1958 he was chief of the agricultural institutions branch of the International Cooperation Administration.

Mr. Reynolds was a native of Flemington, W.Va., and he received a degree in agricultural journalism from West Virginia University.

He was co-founder and organizer of the Gross National Waste Product Forum, an organization of economic consultants that works to curb waste in government and the private sector.

His wife, Lorna Woollacott Reynolds, died in 1988. Survivors include three daughters, Maria Abdin of Seattle, Deirdre Madden of Medina, Ohio, and Lorna Jean Reynolds of Alexandria; a son, John Dana Reynolds of South Orange, N.J.; a sister, Eleanor Gibson of Morgantown, W.Va.; three grandchildren; and seven great-grandchildren.



Edwin Marvin Vaughan, 68, an Army Materiel Command physicist, died of cancer Dec. 1 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Vaughan, who lived in Fairfax, was born in Matoka, W.Va. He moved to Washington as a child and graduated from Central High School.

He served in the Army during World War II. He was recalled to active duty during the Korean War and served in Germany. He retired from the Army Reserve as a colonel in 1975.

Mr. Vaughan graduated from Virginia Tech, where he also received a master's degree in physics. He was a professor of physics and physics department chairman at St. Ambrose College in Iowa from 1949 to 1963.

From 1963 until he returned to the Washington area and joined the Army Materiel Command, Mr. Vaughan was a research physical scientist at the Rock Island Arsenal in Rock Island, Ill.

He was author of 45 technical publications and reports. He was a member of the International Science Fair Council.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Jo Vaughan of Fairfax; four children, Edwin Timothy Vaughan of Columbia, Christopher Vaughan of Costa Rica and Vicki Baker and Philip Vaughan, both of Falls Church; and six grandchildren.