Charles B. MacDonald, 68, a military historian who specialized in the Battle of the Bulge, died Dec. 4 at his home in Arlington. He had cancer and lung disease.

Mr. MacDonald commanded an Army rifle company during the Battle of the Bulge, the last major Nazi offensive on the Western Front during World War II. He was awarded a Silver Star and received a Purple Heart for wounds suffered in the engagement, which took place in France and Belgium in December of 1944 and January of 1945.

He wrote about those experiences in "Company Commander," a 1947 book that sold more than 1 million copies and remains in print. It is still read at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point, N.Y., and at other military service schools and reserve officer training units.

After publication of "Company Commander," Mr. MacDonald joined the staff of the U.S. Army Center of Military History here and remained there until retiring in 1980. He had been chief of the European section, deputy chief historian and at retirement was deputy chief historian for Southeast Asia.

He was the author of two official Army histories of World War II in Europe and co-author of another.

A native of Dillon County, S.C., Mr. MacDonald graduated from Presbyterian College in Clinton, S.C. He entered the Army in 1942. His company was in the Ardennes Forest during the Battle of the Bulge, and Mr. MacDonald began making notes for his book as the battle was going on.

After World War II he remained in the Army Reserve until retiring as a colonel in 1980.

In retirement Mr. MacDonald wrote "A Time for Trumpets: The Untold Story of the Battle of the Bulge," which was published in 1984. He also conducted regular tours of the battle area, which were attended by many veterans of the conflict.

Mr. MacDonald's other books include "Battle of Huertgen Forest," "The Mighty Endeavor: the American War in Europe," and, with Anthony Cave Brown, "On a Field of Red: the Communist International and the Coming of World War II."

His marriage to Joy MacDonald ended in divorce.

Survivors include two children, Moire Queen of Washington and Bruce MacDonald of Swans Island, Maine.


Physicist and Pastor

Charles Hubert Strayhorn, 56, a retired physicist with the Navy's Electronic Systems Command and an ordained minister of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church, died of a heart attack Dec. 2 at Providence Hospital.

Mr. Strayhorn, a resident of Washington, was born in Trenton, N.C. He graduated from North Carolina Central University and did graduate work at the University of Maryland School of Electrical Engineering and the Howard University School of Divinity.

He moved to Washington in 1956. He worked briefly for the Army's Harry Diamond Laboratory and then went to work for the Navy Department. He retired in 1989.

At the time of his death, Mr. Strayhorn was the pastor of Beth Shalom A.M.E. Zion Church in Washington, a post he took six months ago. From 1988 until May, he was pastor of St. John A.M.E. Zion Church in Odenton, and he was a former assistant pastor at Contee A.M.E. Zion Church in Washington.

Mr. Strayhorn was a chaplain of the Alpha Omega chapter of the Omega Psi Phi Fraternity and a member of the Washington chapter of the North Carolina Central University Alumni Association.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Hattie Strayhorn of Washington; two children, Reginald Darnell Strayhorn and Charmayne Renee Strayhorn, both of Washington; three brothers, Lloyd Strayhorn of New York City, Leslie Dewey Strayhorn of Trenton and Clemmie Strayhorn of Mitchellville; and three sisters, Glatha Barber of Trenton, Bettie Mathews of Goldsboro, N.C., and Sally Boykin of Richmond.


Highway Official

Harter Miller Rupert Jr., 56, an official of the Federal Highway Administration who was responsible for writing and enforcing environmental regulations for the agency's projects throughout the country, died of cancer Dec. 3 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia in Arlington.

Mr. Rupert, who lived in Fairfax, was chief of the project development branch of the FHA. He joined the agency in Richmond in 1966 and transferred to Washington in 1968. He was one of the first FHA officials to formulate regulations concerning the environment.

A native of Chelyan, W.Va., Mr. Rupert graduated from West Virginia University, where he also received a master's degree in civil engineering. He worked for the Greiner Engineering Co. in Baltimore and helped design the Baltimore-Washington segment of Interstate 95 before joining the FHA.

He was a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers and Chi Epsilon, the civil engineering honor society. He also was chairman of the administrative board at St. George's United Methodist Church in Fairfax.

Survivors include his wife of 32 years, Vera Thompson Rupert of Fairfax; four children, Allison Lynn Rupert of Fairfax, Bradford Lee Rupert, who is serving in the Air Force at Griffiths AFB in Rome, N.Y., Gregory Allan Rupert of Clifton, and Jennifer Rupert Cruz of Abingdon, Md.; a brother, James Clayton Rupert of Gilford, N.H.; two sisters, Dora L. Miletic of Kleinsteinhausen, Germany, and Janie Berry of North Palm Beach, Fla.; and two grandchildren.


Foreign Aid Official

Bligh Des Brisay, 81, a retired official of the Agency for International Development who spent most of her career in the foreign assistance field in Latin America and Southeast Asia, died Dec. 3 at George Washington University Hospital. She had a stroke.

Miss Des Brisay, who lived in Washington, was born in Grand Falls, New Brunswick, Canada. She graduated from Teachers College of Columbia University in New York, where she also received a master's degree in education. She did further graduate work at New York University and the Peabody College for Teachers in Nashville.

She came to the United States in the late 1930s, and during World War II, she worked for the United Service Organization in Hawaii.

In 1947, she went to work for the nation's foreign assistance program as an education adviser. She had assignments in El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panama, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru. In the late 1950s, she went to Southeast Asia and worked in Thailand, Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. In the early 1960s, she was assigned to Malawi, and from 1965 until she retired in 1975, she worked in Laos.

Miss Des Brisay then settled in Washington. She was a volunteer for the International Visitors Information Service and at the Museum of Natural History of the Smithsonian Institution.

She leaves no immediate survivors.


Book Editor

Merrill C. Windsor Jr., 66, a National Geographic Society book editor and writer from 1971 to 1984, died Dec. 1 at St. Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. He had cancer.

He was the author of "America's Sunset Coast," a 1978 National Geographic book, and editor of 20 other National Geographic publications.

Mr. Windsor, a former Reston resident, lived in this area from 1971 to 1984. He was a native of Arizona. He attended the University of Arizona and was a Rhodes scholar at Oxford University from 1949 to 1951. He served with the Army in Europe during World War II, and retired from the reserves as a colonel in 1976.

He was a reporter and editor on the Arizona Republic newspaper in Phoenix for four years, worked briefly for a San Francisco advertising agency and then joined Sunset Magazine in California in 1956. When he left that magazine in 1971, he was managing editor. He was managing editor of Arizona Highways magazine from 1984 until this year.

He was board chairman of Prescott College in Prescott, Ariz., and served for many years on committees that helped select American Rhodes scholars.

Survivors include his wife, Janice Falk Windsor of Phoenix; two daughters, Wanda Lyn Windsor of San Diego and Peggy Halliday of Bellingham, Wash.; a son, Michael Windsor of Houston; a sister, Margaret Rogers of Carmel, Calif.; a brother, David Windsor of Tucson; and seven grandchildren.


Real Estate Broker

Alice Kelley Phillips, 84, a former real estate broker and the wife of a retired Navy rear admiral, died of a cerebral hemorrhage Dec. 2 at the National Hospital for Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation in Arlington.

Mrs. Phillips, who lived in Arlington, was born in Fredericksburg, Va. She grew up in Rockville. She was a self-employed real estate broker in Arlington from about 1940 to about 1955.

In 1929, she married Seymour Anderson Johnson, a Navy pilot, and she accompanied him to various posts in this country. In 1941, when Johnson was stationed at the Anacostia Naval Air Station, he was killed during a test flight.

In 1947, she married Richard Helsden Phillips, a Navy officer who had been a classmate of her first husband's at the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis. Mrs. Phillips accompanied him to duty stations in this country and also to Malta. They settled in Arlington when he retired in 1962 as a rear admiral.

Mrs. Phillips was a past president of the Literary Society of Washington, a volunteer for the Navy Relief Society and a member of the Chevy Chase Club and St. Alban's Episcopal Church.

In addition to her husband, of Arlington, Mrs. Phillips's survivors include a daughter by her first marriage, Suzanne Johnson Greer of Coronado, Calif.; a sister, Josie Branjord of Dearborn, Mich.; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.


Washington Restaurateur

John Paul Seibold, 60, owner of the old Bull N' Bear restaurant and Chamberlin's Cafeteria at 15th and I streets NW, died Dec. 4 of cancer at his home in Golf Breeze, Fla. A resident of Arlington for 50 years, he retired to Florida two years ago.

His family bought Chamberlin's Cafeteria in the late 1930s, and Mr. Seibold joined the business in the early 1950s. He owned Chamberlin's and the Bull N' Bear from 1968 until the latter closed in 1988.

Mr. Seibold was born in Atlantic City and moved here in 1932. He attended Augusta Military Academy in Staunton, Va., and the University of Virginia. He served in the Army in Korea during the Korean War.

He was president of the Restaurant Association of Metropolitan Washington in 1974, past secretary of the Epicurian Club of Washington, past president of the Harmony Masonic Lodge No. 17 and a member of the Almas Temple. He also belonged to the Ocean City Light Tackle Club and the Washington Golf and Country Club.

His first wife, Eleanor Malseed Siebold, died in 1968. Survivors include his wife, Berit M. Seibold; two children by his first marriage, Thomas Bruce Seibold of Atlanta, and John Paul Seibold Jr. of Chantilly; two stepchildren, Michael Neely of Chantilly and Melina Seibold Crowdus of Pensacola, Fla.; and three granddaughters.


FBI Agent

Elmer Lee Todd, 65, a special agent of the FBI from 1950 until he retired in 1979, died at Fairfax Hospital on Dec. 2 of complications of liver ailments.

Mr. Todd, who lived in Alexandria, was born in Grafton, W.Va. He graduated from Marshall College in Huntington, W.Va., where he also received a master's degree in journalism. During World War II, he served in the Marine Corps in the Pacific.

In 1950, he was appointed a special agent in the FBI. He served briefly in San Francisco and Los Angeles and was transferred to the agency's Washington field office in 1951. He held various supervisory positions in the field office and FBI headquarters until his retirement.

From 1980 until his death, Mr. Todd worked for MSM Investigative Services, an industrial security company in Lanham.

He was a member of the American Legion.

Survivors include his wife, the former Frances Lee Caldwell, whom he married in 1949, of Alexandria; three children, Virginia Caroline Lee Kovak of Berryville, Va., William Morris Lee Todd of Springfield, and Thomas Russell Todd of Lorton; a brother, Frank Todd of Bridgeport, W.Va.; and eight grandchildren.


Prudential-Bache Official

E. Bates McKee, 86, a retired senior vice president of Prudential-Bache Securities, died Dec. 4 at the University of Maryland Shock-Trauma Center in Baltimore. He had cancer and had suffered a subdural hematoma in an accidental fall Dec. 1 while dining out in Annapolis.

Mr. McKee, who lived in Annapolis, was born in Asheville, N.C. He graduated from Yale University and did postgraduate study in history at Christ College at Cambridge University, England, where he received a master's degree.

He was a banker in Paris and New York during the 1930s. During World War II, he served in the Navy, and his assignments included convoy duty in the North Atlantic and participation in combat landing operations in Sicily, Italy, and Southern France.

After the war, Mr. McKee worked for Citibank in New York and later Prudential-Bache Securities. He came to the Washington area in 1960 as vice president and regional manager for the firm and retired in the early 1970s.

Mr. McKee was a lifelong sailing enthusiast and participated in trans-Atlantic races. From 1960 to 1982, he took part in the Bermuda races.

His first wife, the former Kathryn Stevens Pilsbury, died in 1978.

Survivors include his wife, Tanja McKee of Annapolis; two sons from his first marriage, Philip McKee of Trappe, Md., and Charles McKee of Scarborough, Maine; 13 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren. A son of his first marriage, E. Bates McKee Jr., died in 1982.



Addison McGuire Duval, 88, a psychiatrist and the former assistant superintendent of St. Elizabeths Hospital in Washington, died of pneumonia Dec. 3 at Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News, Va.

Dr. Duval joined the staff of St. Elizabeths as an intern in 1929 and served there until retiring as assistant superintendent in 1959. In that period he had also been a clinical professor of psychiatry at George Washington University and in 1949 and 1950 was president of the Washington Psychiatric Society.

He was born in Rhoadesville, Va., attended the University of Richmond and graduated from the Medical College of Virginia in 1929.

Upon leaving Washington in 1959 he was director of the Missouri Division of Mental Diseases until 1961, then in 1961 and 1963 was director of training at Eastern State Hospital in Williamsburg. From 1963 until retiring again in 1972 he was director of the Division of Mental Health of the Georgia Department of Public Health.

In retirement, Dr. Duval lived in Newport News.

His first wife, the former Elizabeth Weymouth, died in 1977.

Survivors include his wife, Elsie Meehan Duval of Newport News; two children of his first marriage, Martha Duval Swartwout of San Antonio and Robert Cammack Duval of Atlanta; a brother, Charles Dabney Duval of Orange, Va.; 12 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Navy Film Producer

Kenneth W. Hammel, 62, a retired film producer with the Navy Department and an amateur printer, died of emphysema Nov. 30 at his home in Bethesda.

Mr. Hammel went to work for the Naval Photographic Center in Washington in 1956 as a scriptwriter for training films. He transferred to the Naval Air Systems Command in 1965 and to the Bureau of Medicine and Surgery in 1970. He was deputy director of medical audiovisual service activity at the Naval School of Health Sciences in Bethesda when he retired in 1982.

As a printer, Mr. Hammel specialized in hand-set metal type, but he also used a powered press in his home and printed many books and booklets for family and friends. He was an authority on the history of typography and a past president of the Washington chapter of the American Institute of Graphic Arts. He was a member of the Baltimore Bibliophiles.

Mr. Hammel, a native of Hutchinson, Kan., attended the University of Colorado and graduated from Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vt. He served in the Navy in the early 1950s and moved to the Washington area in 1954. He taught at Bladensburg Junior High School until beginning his civil career with the Navy.

Mr. Hammel was a member of the Azalea Society of America.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Barbara Harrison Hammel, and two children, Andrew and Rebecca Hammel, all of Bethesda.


Accountant and Deaconess

Katie C. Bell, 72, a retired Commerce Department accountant who was a deaconess of Florida Avenue Baptist Church in Washington, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 3 at Providence Hospital. She lived in Washington.

She worked for Commerce from 1946 to 1975. Mrs. Bell was born in Newport News, Va., and came here at an early age. She was a graduate of Spelman College in Atlanta.

Survivors include her husband, Randolph H. Bell of Washington; a daughter, Patricia Evans of Silver Spring; and a grandchild.