Henry E. Corvelli, 84, who owned and operated area dry cleaning shops for 48 years, died of cancer Dec. 7 at Sibley Memorial Hospital. He lived in Washington.

Mr. Corvelli, a native of Italy, came to this country and moved to Washington in 1919. He worked as a hatter at the Golden Star dry cleaning establishment on New York Avenue NW before opening his own shop, the President Valet on Connecticut Avenue NW, in 1936.

Three years later, he sold it and opened the American Valet on Wisconsin Avenue NW. He operated it until selling it in 1974. For the next decade, he owned and operated Corvelli's Custom Cleaners in Crofton. He sold it when he retired in 1984.

Mr. Corvelli was a member of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington. He also belonged to the Lido and Roseto social clubs.

His wife of 61 years, Mae, died in May. His survivors include three sons, Joseph, of Silver Spring, Vincent, of Rockville, and Donato, of Crofton; a sister, Theodora Fulcinitti of Akron, Ohio; nine grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.


Hotel Official

Jack C. Murphy, 36, an official of the Washington Hilton Hotel and a member of the Washington Hotel Association, died Dec. 6 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Murphy was born in Scranton, Pa. He grew up in Alexandria and graduated from Bishop Ireton High School. He received an associate's degree from Northern Virginia Community College.

He began his career in the hotel business as a teenager working for various hotels and motels in the Washington area. He also worked for the Hershey Pocono Resort in White Haven, Pa., and Tofftrees Country Club in State College, Pa.

In 1983 he joined the staff of the Washington Hilton on Connecticut Avenue and became the Towers manager. The Towers includes the top two floors of the hotel and a number of luxury suites.

Mr. Murphy was a member of the Centaur Motorcycle Club in Washington and the parish of St. Matthew's Catholic Cathedral.

Survivors include his mother, Dorothy Burke Murphy of Alexandria; two brothers, Michael E. Murphy of Springfield and Patrick J. Murphy of Burke; a sister, Ann Murphy Kelly of Fairfax; and a grandfather, Emmett J. Burke of Scranton.


Garden Club Member

Kathryn Hasley Nicolet, 97, a registered nurse who was active in a number of gardening organizations, died of sepsis Dec. 5 at Leland Memorial Hospital in Riverdale.

Mrs. Nicolet, who had lived in Riverdale since moving to the Washington area in 1927, was born in Pittsburgh. She graduated from the Columbia Hospital School of Nursing in Wilkinsburg, Pa.

She was a nurse at what is now Pennsylvania State University in 1916 and 1917, and during World War II, she was a nurse at the old Garfield Hospital in Washington and at a defense plant in Riverdale.

In the 1970s, Mrs. Nicolet and a friend maintained the Riverdale Town Garden. Mrs. Nicolet also was a member of the National Capital Day Lily Society and the Hyattsville Horticulture Society. She was a member of Riverdale Presbyterian Church, and in the 1930s, she was a Girl Scout leader in Riverdale.

Her husband, Ben H. Nicolet, died in 1959.

Survivors include two daughters, Jane Nicolet Toal of Annapolis and Nancy Nicolet Vineberg of Carmel, Calif.; and a granddaughter.


AMA Lawyer

Warren Eugene Whyte, 64, a fifth-generation Washingtonian who became a lawyer for the American Medical Association and Abbott Laboratories in Chicago, died of a heart attack Dec. 4 at his home in Sonoma, Calif.

Mr. Whyte graduated from Gonzaga College High School and Georgetown University, where he also received a law degree. During World War II, he served in the Army in the Pacific.

In 1953, he joined the legal staff of the Food and Drug Administration. In 1957, he moved to Chicago to work for the AMA. He later joined Abbott Laboratories, and he retired in 1980.

A former resident of Deerfield, Ill., he returned to the Washington area in 1985 and lived in Bethesda until 1988, when he moved to California.

He was a member of the parish of the Blessed Sacrament Catholic Church in Washington.

His wife, Faith Riemer Whyte, died in 1987. Survivors include five children, Christine and Patrick Whyte, both of San Francisco, Robin Whyte of Larkspur, Calif., Kathleen Pool of Seattle, and Sharon Frizzell of Bend, Ore.; a sister, Frances Whyte Poster of New York City; and two grandchildren.


Postal Official

Sidney Weil, 93, a retired assistant postmaster in Alexandria who also served on the Alexandria School Board from 1940 to 1946, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 14 at the Lytton Health Care Center in Palo Alto, Calif.

Mr. Weil was born in Alexandria, and lived there until moving to California two years ago. He graduated from the old Central High School in Washington. During World War II, he served in the Army.

He Began his career at the Alexandria Post Office in 1932, and he retired in 1959.

During World War II, Mr. Weil was director of air raid wardens in Alexandria. He also served on the board of directors of Virginia's Boys' State, and was a past American Legion commander in Alexandria and a past vice commander for Virginia. He was a member of Beth El Hebrew Congregation in Alexandria.

His wife, Mollie N. Weil, died in 1984.

Survivors include two daughters, Jacqueline Rubenstein of Annandale and Elaine Weinberg of Mountain View, Calif.; five grandchildren, and four great-grandchildren.


Church Member

Irma Rivers Early, 93, a member of the Nineteenth Street Baptist Church in Washington, where she was recording secretary and a member of the Helping Hand Club, died Dec. 5 at Southern Maryland Hospital in Clinton. She had a stroke.

Mrs. Early was born in Philadelphia. She grew up in Washington and graduated from the old M Street High School.

From 1917 until 1940, when she retired with a disability, she was a currency examiner at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.

Her husband, Preston W. Early, died in 1971.

Survivors include two sisters, Mildred Rivers Southern of Silver Spring and Inez Rivers Browne of Washington.


Compensation Specialist

Durwood Allen Boyd, 37, a compensation specialist with the Metro transit system since 1982, died Dec. 7 at his home in Washington. He had AIDS.

Mr. Boyd, who came here in 1979, was a native of Pinetown, N.C. He was a graduate of the University of North Carolina, where he also received a master's degree in public administration. Before joining Metro, he had been a compensation specialist with George Washington University Hospital and the Group Health Association.

Survivors include a brother, Lacy R., of Washington, N.C.; and a sister, Valerie B. Dixon of Pinetown.