Forrest Silas Petersen, 68, a retired Navy vice admiral and aviator who had served in two wars and had held high staff posts, died of cancer Dec. 8 at a hospital in Georgetown, S.C.

Adm. Petersen had served aboard destroyers in the Pacific during World War II and aboard the carrier Enterprise in Southeast Asia during the Vietnam War. In the early 1960s, he had been a Navy and NASA test pilot. During the 1970s, his posts had included those of deputy chief of naval operations and head of the Naval Air Systems Command. He retired from active duty in 1980.

He then served as president of Petersen Baldwin Enterprises, his own aerospace consulting firm here, before retiring to South Carolina in 1986. A former McLean resident, he resided in Georgetown, S.C., at the time of his death.

Adm. Petersen was a native of Nebraska. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy at Annapolis in 1944. After World War II, he became a naval aviator. He received a master's degree in aeronautical engineering at Princeton University in 1953, and later graduated from the Navy's test pilot school and its nuclear reactors course.

In the late 1950s, he became a test pilot in the X-15 flight program. The X-15 was an experimental rocket plane. For his work in the program, Adm. Petersen received NASA's Distinguished Service Medal, the Navy's Distinguished Flying Cross, and became a joint recipient of the Collier trophy.

From 1964 to 1966, he served as executive officer of the Enterprise, the Navy's first nuclear-powered carrier. During that time, the ship served with the Seventh Fleet near Vietnam and Adm. Petersen was awarded a Bronze Star. He commanded the Enterprise from 1969 to 1971.

He later served as a carrier division commander in the Mediterranean, was a deputy chief of naval operations from May to November 1976, then served as head of the Naval Air Systems Command until retiring from active duty.

In addition to his other decorations, Adm. Petersen also held the Legion of Merit and the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat "V."

His first wife, the former June Berkshire, died in 1977. Survivors include his wife, Jean Baldwin Petersen of Georgetown; three children by his first marriage, Lynn P. Monje of Woodbridge, Navy Lt. Cmdr. Nels C. Petersen of Virginia Beach, and Forrest D. Petersen of Rancho Santa Marguerita, Calif.; a stepson, Preston D. Carter of Charlottesville; two brothers, Robert, of Spokane, Wash., and Don, of Grand Island, Neb.; and a stepson.


DIA Official

Kenneth Geisen, 76, a retired Air Force colonel who later directed the legislative and public affairs program of the Defense Intelligence Agency, died of lung cancer Dec. 10 at Arlington Hospital.

Col. Geisen, who lived in Falls Church, had been a permanent resident of this area since 1958. He was born in Bisbee, N.D. He graduated from Mayville State College and received a master's degree in political science at the University of North Dakota.

He served in the Army Air Forces in Europe during World War II, then was recalled to active duty during the Korean War. He was an intelligence officer and served in West Germany, Texas, Alaska and Washington before retiring from the Army in 1967. He worked for 20 years as a civilian employee of the DIA before retiring again in 1987.

He had received the agency's Meritorious and Distinguished Civilian Service medals.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Gloria A. Geisen of Falls Church; and two sons, Allen A. Geisen of Cottage City, Minn., and Wayne E. Geisen of Fairbanks, Alaska.


Bank Officer

Irving Zirpel, 101, retired secretary of Union Trust Co., died of cardiac arrest Dec. 5 at his home in Washington.

He retired from Union Trust in 1955 after 49 years with the company.

Mr. Zirpel was born in New York City. He moved to the Washington area as a youth and began working for Union Trust, which is now First American Bank, in 1906 after graduating from the old Business High School. He received a law degree from what was then National University Law School.

He was a past chairman of the fiduciaries section of the D.C. Bankers Association.

His wife of 70 years, the former Pauline Johnson, died in 1987.

Survivors include four children, Ellen Hearn of Williamsburg, Va., Irving Zirpel Jr. of Portland, Ore., Paula Hoffman of Chevy Chase and Charlotte Krumke of Tall Timbers, Md.; 12 grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.


Bus Driver

Frank D. Jones, 66, a Gold Line tour bus driver, died Dec. 8 at Prince George's Hospital Center after a heart attack.

Mr. Jones was born in Washington. During World War II he was an Army Air Forces flight officer with the Tuskegee Airmen.

After the war he began working as a Prince George's County school bus driver. Later he began working for the Grey Line bus company, which subsequently merged into Gold Line.

His marriage to Shirley Jones ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Gloria J. Jones of Riverdale; four children by his first marriage, Cynthia Williams of District Heights, Carolyn Jackson of Riverdale, Beverly Minor and Terry Jones, both of Hyattsville; eight stepchildren, Patricia Williams of Crofton, Kareen Whitney of Silver Spring, Paula Boyd, Deborah Jeffries and Johnetta Davidson, all of Temple Hills, James Harris Jr. and Philip Harris, both of Washington, and Marine Corps Lance Cpl. Kelly Harris of Japan; 26 grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.


Interior Designer

Roy Alan Klein, 40, an interior decorator, died of cancer Dec. 10 at his home in Ashburn, Va.

Mr. Klein was born in Washington. He graduated from Fort Hunt High School and attended the International Institute of Interior Design.

For about the last six years he had operated Roy Klein interior design in Great Falls, Va. He had also given classes on Williamsburg decorating and 18th century Early American decorating at the McLean Community Center and in the Fairfax County adult education program.

Before opening his own business he worked for Julius Rist Interiors.

Survivors include his father, Norman L. Klein, and a sister, Mary Lee Roos, both of Ashburn.