C. James Nelson, 57, the president and one of the organizers of Washington's City National Bank, died at Suburban Hospital in Bethesda yesterday of a self-inflicted gunshot wound that he suffered that day at his home in Chevy Chase. Montgomery County Police said the death was a suicide.

Mr. Nelson had been president of City National Bank since its founding in July 1988. Before that he had been president of National Bank of Washington for six years.

Delano E. Lewis, chairman of the board of City National Bank, said the bank's executive vice president, Claiborne D. Gregory Jr., would be acting chief executive officer of the organization until a permanent replacement for Mr. Nelson is chosen.

Lewis said in a prepared announcement, "Although City National Bank, like many other banks in this region, has experienced some increases in its non-performing loans, after a thorough and recent review of its loan portfolio and continued monitoring by its outside auditors, Price Waterhouse, the board expressed every confidence that this tragic occurrence was unrelated to the operations of the bank and that the bank would continue to operate normally."

Mr. Nelson was born in Forsythe County, N.C. He graduated from Duke University, where he played on the football team and participated in the 1954 Orange Bowl game against the University of Nebraska.

He served three years in the Air Force in the late 1950s. He later received a master's degree in business administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

Mr. Nelson worked 15 years for North Carolina National Bank in Chapel Hill, Raleigh and Charlotte, and became executive vice president of the bank. In 1977, he moved to Columbus, Ohio, where he was executive vice president of Huntington National Bank. He was named president of National Bank of Washington in January 1981.

He was president of the Washington Area Bankers Association in 1988 and 1989.

Mr. Nelson was president of the National Capital Area Council of the Boy Scouts of America in 1986 and 1987, and received the organization's Citizen of the Year award in 1989. He served on the board of the National Conference of Christians and Jews.

Survivors include his wife, Etta S. Nelson of Chevy Chase; two daughters, Melissa Nelson of Baltimore and Monica Nelson of Chevy Chase; his mother, Lois Marshall Nelson, and two sisters, Phyllis Parrish and Polly Vance, all of Winston-Salem, N.C.


Child Psychiatrist

G. Josephine Garner Struble, 59, a child psychiatrist who had practiced in Washington and St. Mary's County, Md., died of cancer Dec. 12 at her home in Bethesda.

Dr. Struble was born in St. Stephens, Ala. She graduated from Chipola Junior College, the University of Alabama and the Tulane University School of Medicine. She did her medical internship at Gorgas Hospital in the Panama Canal Zone.

She was a physician at Fitzsimmons Army Hospital in Denver, then did her psychiatric training at Kansas City General Hospital and Medical Center in Missouri. She practiced child psychiatry in Kansas City before moving to the Washington area in 1969.

In this area, Dr. Struble practiced at a city health department neighborhood mental health clinic and at St. Elizabeths Hospital until 1976, when she moved to Leonardtown, Md. She had a private practice there and also practiced at St. Mary's College and at the Tri-County Mental Health Clinic until 1987, when she stopped working because of illness.

She moved to Bethesda in 1988.

Survivors include her husband, Frederick M. Struble of Bethesda; two children, Kathryn Nachbar of Wilmington, Del., and Susan Dawson of California, Md.; four sisters, Glovine Moorer of Hathaway, Ala., Ruth Cox of Robertsdale, Ala., Elaine Coghlan of Stockton, Ala., and Elizabeth Little of Bayminette, Ala.; a brother, Clifton Garner of Orange Beach, Ala.; and two grandsons.


USGS Hydrologist

Morris Deutsch, 65, a retired hydrologist with the U.S. Geological Survey who helped form a consulting company specializing in natural resources issues, died of cancer Dec. 11 at the Hospice of Northern Virginia in Arlington.

Mr. Deutsch, who lived in Falls Church, was born in Bethlehem, Pa. He graduated from Syracuse University and received a master's degree in resources development from Michigan State University. During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe.

He began his career with the Geological Survey in the early 1950s in Idaho. He later worked in Lansing, Mich., and Columbus, Ohio. He was transferred to Washington in 1968. His work here primarily concerned the satellite observation program that monitors Earth resources from space.

After his retirement from government in 1981, Mr. Deutsch helped form Satellite Hydrology Associates, a consulting firm in Vienna.

Mr. Deutsch was a member of Temple Rodef Shalom in Falls Church and a charter member and past vice president of the National Water Well Association.

His marriage to Laura Watkins Deutsch ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Carol S. Deutsch of Falls Church; two children from his first marriage, Stephanie A. Garber of Staunton, Va., and John P. Deutsch of Woodbridge; a child by his second marriage, Jennifer L. Deutsch of Fairfax; a sister, Mildred Prelle of Camarillo, Calif.; a brother, David Deutsch of Tahoe, Calif.; and five grandchildren.


Hotel Employee

Camille Beasley Harrison, 89, a retired hotel employee who was active in church and community groups, died of congestive heart failure Nov. 23 at Capitol Hill Hospital. She lived in Washington.

She was a chambermaid at the Mayflower Hotel for 40 years before retiring in 1964. Mrs. Harrison, who was born in Tennessee, came here in 1920.

She was a member of Holy Name Catholic Church in Washington. She belonged to its sodality and had served on the board of the church's federal credit union.

Mrs. Harrison had done volunteer work at St. Elizabeths Hospital and had been active in the War on Rats Committee. She also had been active in the Northeast Civic Association and various scouting groups. She had served as a Democratic Party block captain.

Her husband, Leslie H. Harrison, died in 1952. Survivors include two sons, John V., of Washington, and Gregory, of Brandywine; four daughters, J.D. Yorkman of Bowie, and Mary Stith, Emily Hill, and Peggy Allen, all of Washington; 15 grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.


Bethesda Native

Lance Willard Downey, 39, a native of Bethesda and a graduate of Gaithersburg High School, was killed Dec. 8 in a traffic accident in Melbourne, Fla.

A spokesman for the Melbourne Police Department said Mr. Downey was crossing State Road 5, a four-lane highway, when he was struck by a car. He was pronounced dead at Holmes Regional Medical Center in Melbourne.

Mr. Downey was a construction and restaurant worker. He was an assistant cook at the Holiday Inn in Gaithersburg before moving to Raleigh, N.C., in 1973. He worked in the construction and restaurant industries there and in Florida, where he moved in 1988. He lived in Melbourne.

Survivors include his mother, Margaret B. Triche, and stepfather, Junius A. Triche, of Simpsonville, S.C.; two sisters, Michelle D. Stallings of Simpsonville and Patricia D. Hall of Germantown, Md.; and three stepbrothers, Jay A. Triche of Santa Clarita, Calif., Timothy J. Triche of Los Angeles, and James L. Triche of Taos, N.M.


FBI Official

Norman J. Walter, 75, a retired supervisor in the fingerprint identification division of the FBI who was active in his church, died of cancer Dec. 10 at Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly.

Mr. Walter, who lived in Washington, was born in Belvidere, N.J. He moved here in 1940 and went to work for the FBI. He was a special agent during World War II and then joined the fingerprint division. He retired in 1975.

He was a member of St. Bernadine's Catholic Church in Suitland and a former member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church in Washington. He was a member of the Bishop Byrne Council of the Knights of Columbus.

Survivors include his wife of 46 years, Elizabeth B. Walter of Washington; three children, Thomas S. Walter of Alexandria, Michael J. Walter of St. Paul, Minn., and Maureen Walter Goodman of Atlanta; a sister, Elizabeth Billger Dean of Belvidere; and four grandchildren.


Hospital Volunteer

Mary L. Gibson O'Donnell, 63, a former volunteer and member of Holy Family Catholic Church in Hillcrest Heights, died Dec. 9 at Deaton Hospital Center in Baltimore. She had pneumonia and had suffered several strokes.

Mrs. O'Donnell was born in Washington and graduated from St. Mary's Academy in Leonardtown.

She was a former vice president of the Ladies Auxiliary of the Silver Hill Volunteer Fire Department and a volunteer worker at Greater Southeast Community Hospital, where she was an extraordinary minister of the Eucharist.

A former resident of Hillcrest Heights and Annapolis, she had been at Carroll Manor Nursing Home in Hyattsville for the last 3 1/2 years.

Her marriage to James R. O'Donnell ended in divorce.

Survivors include two daughters, Sally L. Shifler of Annapolis and Mary K. Bamou of Washington; and three grandchildren.


Electronics Engineer

Mack Jay Sheets, 68, a retired Naval Research Laboratory electronics engineer, died of heart ailments Dec. 11 at his home in Crozet, Va.

Mr. Sheets was born in Chilhowie, Va. He attended Bluefield College and graduated from Virginia Polytechnic Institute. He served in the Navy during World War II and was assigned here at the Naval Research Laboratory in 1943.

After the war Mr. Sheets continued to work for the Naval Research Laboratory as a civilian. He retired in 1977.

He had received a Distinguished Civilian Service Award and had been awarded several patents for radio and radar finding and detection devices.

A former resident of Temple Hills, he moved to Crozet on his retirement.

Survivors include his wife, Polly Ashby Sheets of Crozet; two children, Susan Jaeger of Crofton and Clifton Sheets of Fredericksburg; and five grandchildren.


Design Engineer

George M. Coker Jr., 62, a design engineer who most recently had worked for Martin Marietta in Baltimore, died of cancer Dec. 11 at his home in Silver Spring.

Mr. Coker was born in Jersey City, N.J. He moved to Washington at the age of 13 and graduated from Eastern High School. He served in the Navy in the late 1940s.

He had worked for Martin Marietta for about the last three years, and had previously worked for the Amecom division of Litton Industries, American Instruments, and Baxter Travenol.

Survivors include his wife, Ann H. Coker of Silver Spring; three children, Christopher Coker of Silver Spring, Timothy Coker of Hyattsville and Leslie Ann Murphy of San Diego; his mother, Helen T. Coker of Seabrook; three sisters, Margaret Callison of Albuquerque, Patricia Ann Daugherty of Sterling and Alicia Fortune of Seabrook; and eight grandchildren.