David C. Sharman, 67, the staff director of the House Administration Committee of the House of Representatives and a former association executive, died of heart ailments Dec. 11 at Fairfax Hospital.

Mr. Sharman, who lived in Annandale, was born in Big Spring, Tex. He attended West Texas State University and graduated from the University of California at Berkeley.

During World War II, he served in the Army Air Forces as a radio operator and gunner aboard a B-17 "Flying Fortess" heavy bomber in the 8th Air Force stationed in Britain. He was shot down over Denmark and spent the last 18 months of the conflict as a prisoner of war in Germany and Austria.

After studies at the University of California, Mr. Sharman worked for the International Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees in the San Francisco area. He later worked for the California Osteopathic Association and the Ameican Optometric Association. He joined the latter organization in St. Louis and moved here in 1961 as head of its Washington office.

From 1967 to 1973, Mr. Sharman worked for the Car and Truck Renting and Leasing Association, and for the next five years he ran Sharman Associates Inc., a consulting and lobbying firm.

In 1973, he was named staff director of the personnel and police subcommittee of the House Administration Committee. He later was staff director of the accounts subcommittee. He was named staff director of the House Administration Committee in 1985.

Mr. Sharman received an honorary doctorate from the Illinois College of Optometry. He was a fellow of the American Public Health Association and a member of the National Press Club. He was active in Democratic politics.

Survivors include his wife, the former Wynema Collins, whom he married in 1945, of Annandale; five children, Patricia Mann of Tallahassee, Fla., Lynda Sharman MacDonald of New York City, John W. Sharman of Manassas, Kathy Salamone of Annandale, and J. Michael Sharman of Reva, Va.; a brother, James Sharman of Palo Alto, Calif.; and 12 grandchildren.


Washington Native

Elizabeth Leigh Cleary, 22, a Washington native and graduate in economics last May from Middlebury College, died Dec. 6 at the Medical Center Hospital in Burlington, Vt., of injuries received in a traffic accident Oct. 27 in Middlebury, Vt. Middlebury police said Miss Cleary was driving alone when her car ran off the road and hit a tree.

Miss Cleary, who lived in Middlebury, had been working since graduation as a conference coordinator for the Geonomics Institute at Middlebury College, and she was scheduled to enter the Peace Corps this month.

Born in Washington, Miss Cleary lived in Silver Spring and in Kensington, where her family moved in 1977.

She was a 1986 graduate of Holton-Arms School, where she had helped start a peer counseling group. She was also active in the Children's International Summer Villages Inc.

Miss Cleary spent a semester of her junior year at Middlebury in Kenya, working on a demonstration irrigation project for the Experiment in International Living. Her Peace Corps assignment was to be in Mauritania, on a community reforestation project.

She was a member of Cedar Lane Unitarian Church in Kensington.

Survivors include her parents, Donald P. and Elizabeth May Cleary, and a brother, Michael Reed Cleary, all of Kensington, and a grandmother, Dorothy Gianniny Barrows of Seaford, Del.


Church Member

Margaret Genau duFief, 85, a member of the parish of St. Ann's Catholic Church in Washington who was active in church and volunteer organizations, died of cancer Dec. 11 at Sibley Memorial Hospital.

Mrs. duFief was a third-generation Washingtonian and lived in the city all her life. She graduated from the Academy of Notre Dame and its secretarial course.

As a young woman, she worked for the late senator James M. Mead (D-N.Y.) when he was in the House of Representatives and for the Hamilton & Hamilton law firm in Washington. About 1930, she went to work for the Public Health Service, and she continued there until 1944.

Mrs. duFief was a member of the Friends of Olancho, an organization through which she coordinated a fund-raising drive for Catholic missions in Honduras. She also was a former member of the board of directors of the Notre Dame Academy Alumnae Association and a member of the International Federation of Catholic Alumnae, St. Adrian's Sodality and the Catholic Golden Age Club. She was a volunteer with the Meals on Wheels program.

Her husband, C. Thomas duFief, died in 1973.

Survivors include two children, Margaret Mary Missar of Washington and Thomas Aloysius duFief of Hightstown, N.J.; a sister, Sister Lidwin Marie, S.N.D., of Washington; and four grandchildren.


Defense Intelligence Agency Specialist

Paul M. Ursin, 83, a retired Defense Intelligence Agency intelligence specialist, died of sepsis Dec. 7 at Arlington Hospital.

Dr. Ursin was born in Duquesne, Pa. He graduated from the University of Pittsburgh and received a doctorate in history from Charles University in Prague.

While a graduate student in Prague, he began working at the U.S. Embassy there and later at the American consulate. He moved to Washington after it closed in October 1940.

During World War II, Dr. Ursin served in the Office of Strategic Services in London. After the war, he worked for the Army Map Service and then for the Defense Intelligence Agency. He was a specialist in Eastern Europe and his duties involved interviewing intelligence agents. He retired in 1973.

In retirement, Dr. Ursin traveled and tended a vegetable garden at his home in McLean.

He was a 32nd degree Mason and a member of Lafayette Dupont Lodge, the Scottish Rite, the Almas Temple of the Shrine and the American Legion in McLean.

Survivors include his wife, Bunny Ursin of McLean; a daughter, Bonnie Moran of Arlington; and two brothers, Albert J. Ursin of Port St. Lucie, Fla., and John V. Ursin of Duquesne.



Kathron Ann Rowley, 58, a legal reference librarian at the Pentagon, died Dec. 11 at Arlington Hospital. She had cancer.

Mrs. Rowley, who lived in Vienna, was born in Lenawee County, Mich. She graduated from Michigan State University and received a master's degree in library science at the University of Michigan.

Before moving to the Washington area in 1972, she accompanied her husband, Richard W. Rowley, an Air Force officer who retired as a lieutenant colonel, to military bases in New Mexico, Puerto Rico, Michigan, Ohio and Washington state.

In this area she had worked at the Pentagon library for about 10 years before retiring on disability last June. Earlier, she had worked in the libraries of the Industrial College of the Armed Forces and the National War College.

She was a member of the Order of the Eastern Star and the Daughters of the Nile, and she had been a Boy Scout leader with her husband.

In addition to her husband, of Vienna, survivors include three children, Douglas Kim Rowley of Reston, Phillip Lee Rowley of Lansing, Mich., and Linda Diane Rowley of Vienna; her parents, Floyd and Dorothy Hicks of Tecumseh, Mich., and a grandchild.



John Howard Earle, 70, a retired lawyer in the antitrust division of the Justice Department, died of a heart attack Dec. 8 at his home in Purcellville.

Mr. Earle was a third-generation Washingtonian, and he graduated from the old Central High School. He received a bachelor's degee from what is now Pennsylvania State University and law degrees from George Washington University.

During World War II, he served in the Army infantry in Europe, and he was awarded the Bronze Star.

Mr. Earle began his career with the Justice Department in 1950, and he retired in 1977.

He was a member of the D.C., Federal and American Bar associations and a former member of All Souls Unitarian Church in Washington. He moved to Purcellville in 1980.

Mr. Earle also was a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, and he had more than 20 years of recovery. He was a volunteer in numerous groups treating drug and alcohol abuse in Northern Virginia.

Survivors include his wife, Lois Barb Earle of Purcellville; a stepson, William Mounts of Alexandria; a sister, Elizabeth Earle Heckmann of San Antonio; and a grandson.


Peace Corps Official

Richard Peter Doyle, 63, a lawyer and former Peace Corps official, died Dec. 11 at George Washington University Hospital of complications following heart bypass surgery.

Mr. Doyle, who lived in Washington, was born in Chicago. He graduated from the University of Chicago and its law school and served in the Navy at the end of World War II.

He moved to the Washington area in 1966 after practicing law in Sarasota, Fla., and worked here as counsel for the Office of Economic Opportunity and Volunteers In Service to America.

In the early 1970s, he served in the Peace Corps as deputy director in Zaire and director in Togo, then retired on disability.

His marriages to Jeanne D'Andrea Doyle, Sharon Doyle and Mai Liis Doyle ended in divorce.

Survivors include his wife, Mary Lou Terpstra Doyle of Washington; a son from his first marriage, Kevin Doyle of Washington; a stepdaughter, Elena Olivera of Santa Barbara, Calif.; his mother, Aimee Doyle of Princeton, Ill.; two sisters; a brother; and two grandchildren.



Dorothy W. Gillett, 91, a former Alexandria resident who helped her husband in his radio consulting business, Glenn D. Gillett & Associates, died of congestive heart failure Dec. 2 at the Berkshire Health Care Center in Roanoke.

Mrs. Gillett was born in Cambridge, Mass., and graduated from Wellesley College. She moved to the Washington area in 1935 and lived in Alexandria until 1953. She later lived in California and Masschusetts, and she moved to Roanoke in 1980.

She was a volunteer at the Alexandria Hospital and a member of the Belle Haven Garden Club and what is now the National Presbyterian Church.

Her husband died in 1980.

Survivors include three children, Robert S. Gillett of Auburndale, Mass., Richard C. Gillett of McLean and Nancy M. Gillett of Roanoke; nine grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Another son, David L. Gillett, was killed in action in Italy during World War II while serving in the Army.


NIH Employee

Robert P. Strayer, 77, a retired employee of the National Institutes of Health who worked in the loans and grants section of the U.S. Public Health Service, died of cardiac arrest Dec. 11 at Leland Memorial Hospital in Riverdale.

Mr. Strayer, who lived in West Hyattsville, was born in Ebensburg, Pa. He served in the Navy in the Pacific in World War II.

In 1950, he moved to the Washington area and went to work for the old Veterans Administration. About 1958, he transferred to NIH, and he retired in 1978.

Survivors include his wife of 40 years, Phyllis McGuire Strayer of West Hyattsville, and three sons, Roger, Alan and Todd Strayer, all of Hyattsville.



James L. Van Landingham Jr., 43, a Smithsonian Institution accountant, died Dec. 11 at George Washington University Hospital. He had AIDS.

Mr. Van Landingham, who lived in Washington, was born in Deland, Fla.

He moved to the Washington area and began working at the Smithsonian in 1985 after having worked as an accountant in Atlanta.

He was a member of Dignity/Washington, a gay Catholic organization.

There are no immediate survivors.


Systems Analyst

Harold R. "Bud" Jones, 60, a retired systems analyst with the Department of Energy, died of cancer Dec. 13 at his home in Vienna.

He had worked for the federal government for 30 years, starting as a computer programmer with the Atomic Energy Commission, one of the predecessors of the Energy Department. He retired in 1986.

A native of Baltimore, Mr. Jones had lived in the Washington area since 1946. He was a graduate of Western High School, and after attending the Coast Guard Academy in New London, Conn., he served four years in the Coast Guard. He graduated in 1957 from American University with a bachelor's degree in history.

He had recently retired from the Coast Guard Reserve after 30 years of service. For the past 13 years, Mr. Jones had also coached young women's softball for the Fairfax Recreation Department.

He was a member of Wesley United Methodist Church in Vienna.

Survivors include his wife of 33 years, Jane Warner Jones of Vienna; three daughters, Lynn McAlexander of Fredericksburg, Va., Laurie Ann Jones of Rockville, and Susan Meason of Centreville, Va.; a brother, Kenneth W. Jones of Interlachen, Fla.; and three grandchildren.