Carl L. Seidel, 75, a retired Army lieutenant colonel who later became director of graduate admissions and records at the University of Maryland, died Dec. 15 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center of complications after open heart surgery.

Col. Seidel, who lived in College Park, was born in Auburndale, Wis. He attended the University of Wisconsin, then joined the Army in 1940. He served in Germany and France during World War II.

After the war, he specialized in counterintelligence and served in West Germany, Japan, the Philippines, Baltimore, and Washington. He also studied at the University of Maryland, where he graduated after his retirement from the Army in 1962.

His military decorations included a Bronze Star and an Army Commendation Medal.

On retiring from the Army, Col. Seidel settled in the Washington area and worked for two years as a civilian education adviser at Fort Meade. He joined the staff of the University of Maryland at College Park as civil defense administrator in 1964, then in 1965 became director of graduate admissions and records. He retired in 1979.

He was a member of the University of Maryland Faculty Club, the Terrapin Club and the College Park Woods Civic Association.

Survivors include his wife, Elinor Seidel of College Park; a daughter, Dr. Kathryn Seidel of Winter Springs, Fla.; two sisters, Mary Reed of Auburndale, and Josephine Konopa of Marshfield, Wis.; and two granddaughters.


Child Psychologist

Ruth K. Lederer, 82, a retired child psychologist, died of pneumonia and a brain tumor Dec. 11 at her home in Alexandria.

Dr. Lederer was born in New York City, where she attended high school. She received a doctorate in child psychology from the University of Vienna in 1931. She did postdoctoral study in Vienna and Frankfurt, then returned to the United States. She received a second doctorate in psychology from the University of Iowa in 1938.

She moved to the Washington area in 1942, and worked during the 1940s and 1950s at St. Elizabeths Hospital and at the D.C. Department of Public Health's Gales Health Center Clinic for Retarded Children.

Later she opened a private practice as a consultant to child psychiatrists, operating out of her home.

Her marriage to Walter Lederer ended in divorce.

Survivors include two sons, Nicholas John Lederer of San Francisco and Thomas Charles Lederer of Princeton, N.J., and a grandchild.



Meryl Y. Silver, 58, a staff psychologist at the D.C. Institute of Mental Health since 1982 who also had a private Washington practice since that time, died Dec. 15 at Georgetown University Hospital. She had cancer.

From 1975 to 1982, she had been a clinical psychologist with a neighborhood pediatric clinic of Children's Hospital.

Dr. Silver, who came here in 1971, was a native of New York City. She was a graduate of Barnard College and received master's degrees in social psychology at Columbia University and in psychology at City College of New York. She received her doctorate in clinical psychology from American University.

Survivors include her husband, David, of Bethesda; three sons, Daniel, of Cambridge, Mass., Joshua, of Austin, Tex., and Matthew, of Jerusalem; and a brother, Seth Young of Columbus, Ohio.


Landscape Service Owner

Floyd F. Grayson Sr., 69, owner of Floyd's Landscape Service in Washington, died at Georgetown University Hospital Dec. 13. He had cancer.

A native of Stafford County, Va., Mr. Grayson had lived in Washington for about 65 years. He began his landscaping business in 1937, after graduating from Francis Junior High School.

The company does landscaping for developers of subdivisions and apartment complexes.

Mr. Grayson was a trustee and treasurer of St. Phillips Baptist Church in Washington and a member of its missionary society.

His wife, Bessie L. Grayson, died in 1979. Survivors include a son, Floyd F. Grayson Jr. of Ellicott City; two daughters, Linda G. Arnold of Columbia, and Julia E. Grayson of Washington; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.


Federal Computer Analyst

Clifford Earl Little, 70, a retired Defense Department computer programmer and analyst, died Dec. 14 at Calvert Memorial Hospital in Prince Frederick, Md., after a heart attack. He lived in Lusby, Md.

He worked for the Navy Department from the 1940s to 1958. He then joined the Defense Logistics Agency, from which he retired in 1970.

Mr. Little, who moved to Lusby in 1970, was a native of Washington and a 1937 graduate of Eastern High School. He attended Wilson Teachers College and Georgetown University. He served with the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.

He was a Mason.

Survivors include his wife, Sue, of Lusby; three sons, Michael C., of Palm Bay, Fla., and Ronnie L. and Larry K., both of Battle Creek, Mich.; and five grandchildren.